Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Myrthos;

I was just trying to send a PM, but whenever I click preview or submit, I get this screen. Tried a few times.

Screenshot-2020-12-03-403-Forbidden.png

You could PM me before, so what is different?
Using a different PC? Browser?

You could PM me before, so what is different?
Using a different PC? Browser?

I had no problem PMing you before, and it's the same machine and browser I was using then. Only thing I can think of my end is that my VPN IP would have changed, and it's possible to get an abused IP that's been blacklisted by security systems. Odd that it would only affect sending a PM, but I'll trying changing addresses, and then another browser.

@Myrthos;

Very curious. It was neither of those things. I wondered if it might be related to the character issue, so I went through removing one paragraph at a time, and then clicking preview. Turned out to be one line, unless removed, causes the error.

Seems to have sent fine now.

@Myrthos;

Very curious. It was neither of those things. I wondered if it might be related to the character issue, so I went through removing one paragraph at a time, and then clicking preview. Turned out to be one line, unless removed, causes the error.

Let me guess, what was in that line? . . .

exploits_of_a_mom.png

Sorry for the Friday night geek humour :)

@Myrthos;

I think that might be a modsecurity issue. We have a different, more strict, configuration now.
Can you send me the text that caused the issue? Probably not by PM, as it wouldn’t work, but by mail.

I would need to know what the message is that is given the problem.
RSS is fixed

Just a small feature idea (no clue how hard it would be to implement).

I really like the "News Watch" and "Forum Watch" feature on the front page. It really helps to know what's going on, what people are talking about. I just think it would be useful to add the date/time of the posts there. So we know it's not something We've already read. It seems especially useful to me for those thread where the same person comments a lot.

Please allow us the option of deactivating alerts for mentions and quotes. Yeah it's trivial but there are members who quote and mention me I have no desire to reply to.:)

I get the 404 error also when I try to respond to my PM, and yes, people I've already talked with trough PM's.
fgoJtX4.png

Yeah I know. Don’t use the ampersand character. It is a character I know of that causes this. Perhaps there is another character as well. Look for the special ones.

It could be words? I've deleted the last sentence and worked.
Thanks!

It is something that is recognized by the firewall as a hacking attempt and it blocks. The age of the forum software doesn’t work too well with all those new security measures we have in place.
As mentioned elsewhere the solution is to move to completely new forum software, but we hacked quite a bit into these forums, so that will take some time.

Yeah, I can imagine that the level of customisation of the Watch would be a chunk of work to replicate on a new platform. But I think old VBulletin 3 is starting to creak now. I'm sure some folks won't be happy with change, but I think it's the sensible thing to do, at this point.

Probably it has been noted before, but the character coding in the page source sometimes doesn't fit to the actual encoding of the text.

The character encoding in the page source is charset=ISO-8859-1 (Western), but the text is in Unicode.

For example in this post https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061631630&postcount=13381 I see something like "Yeah, I’ve thought …".

Edit: Is it possible that the post editor produces unicode but the overall page templates are made for Western?

When I switch to Unicode manually, I see the text correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom