Game of the Year Awards 2016 - Most Promising RPG

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here are the results of the votes for the most promising RPG of 2017, according to our visitors and the RPGWatch editors. In contrast to the Best RPG, these results are a bit less surprising.

More information.

Note that the winners of a game will be announced in the next few days.

That top 3 equals my top 3 and i am looking forward to it !!
Replaying gothic now and i do hope ELEX will be as good.

These pretty much mirror my choices, and like a mirror they are shown in reverse. I know it was pretty much of a tossup for my #1 between Elex and Divinity Original Sin 2, though don't remember which I decided upon.

Looks like a weaker year than last. D:OS 2 is interesting but I still haven't played the first. Not sure about Elex. risen 2 and 3 didn't excite. Mild to no interest in the rest of the list.

Kingdom Come was my top choice but this is a good list. If they can pull off what they promised in Kingdom Come then it is exactly what I love in a crpg. That is a big IF and the delays have me a bit worried.

I am excited about all four of the top games listed :)

I'm excited about top 3 because all PR released on social networks about 4th game so far was underwhelming and sometimes disappointing.

The only titles from the top 10 that I am interested in is Expedition: Viking and BattleTech, the rest quite frankly are dung. Disappointed to see that my choice (No Truce With The Furies) did not make it on to the list for most promising RPG.

I'm friggin' hyped for BattleTech!
I will cry if it is not good... Though, I have faith in the Harebrained!

Interesting. Sounds like there isn't much love for Mass Effect, anymore. 4th seems a bit low to me for an RPG forum. One bad ending and everyone jumps ship... Or has it been the less-than-intriguing preview vids?

Personally I loved Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 1 was only decent because it had a good story but the mechancs and technical side sucked. But since EA is also doing their Origin exclusive thing I haven't bought anything from them anymore. I like to have all my stuff in one place. And that place is steam. So unless EA is releasing some game which I feel like I must play, I am not going to buy anything from them.

Interesting. Sounds like there isn't much love for Mass Effect, anymore. 4th seems a bit low to me for an RPG forum. One bad ending and everyone jumps ship… Or has it been the less-than-intriguing preview vids?

Mass Effect has never really been a hit in the Watch crowd has it? I assume many have played them, but never have I heard anyone here claiming them to be among their favorite RPG experiences.

I'm in agreement with the list, almost. I had Torment at #1, D:OS2 at #2 and Battletech at #3.

Last edited:
Interesting. Sounds like there isn't much love for Mass Effect, anymore. 4th seems a bit low to me for an RPG forum. One bad ending and everyone jumps ship… Or has it been the less-than-intriguing preview vids?

I loved the first trilogy. Yes, I can see the flaws once we stand back and start picking things apart, but the truth is I thoroughly enjoyed my time in that world, and would like some more of it.

For the new one, yes, it's just that I've found everything about the previews to be flat and uninspiring.

Can't disagree with top 3. In addition, I'm really looking forward to Kingdom come. If they manage to tune the combat system into perfection, it will be a sweet game to play. It seems quite intuitive, but judging by few youtube videos the responsiveness could be better.

As for the new mass effect. I'm still in wait and see mode. Previous games were really fun and I'm going to play the ME:A as well ofcourse, but still waiting the reviews.

I'm interested in Expeditions: Viking, but wonder how well it will hold up over the coarse of play. Will it keep our interest?

I'm looking forward to the top 6 games this year. (Well, OK, the top 6 showing up this year. Whether I will actually play them this year or wait for enhanced/complete/GotY editions next year is another question.)

I'm surprised ELEX made the list, though I guess I shouldn't be. Gothic love runs very deep on these forums.

I liked the ending quite a bit - it's just that the game looks like more of the same. I expect to play it but it's hard to get excited about it.

Not at all surprised the results but here's some interesting indie RPGs possibly releasing this year that you may also want to keep an eye out for:

No Truce With the Furies
Copper Dreams
Prisonscape
Graywalkers: Purgatory
Age of Grit
Liege
Dungeons of Aledorn
Vigilantes
Fallen Gods
Stygian Reign of the Old Ones

Last edited:

The series progressively became more and more a shooter vs sponge like enemies and totally killed my interest in it. The ending didn't help, but I enjoyed the writing anyway. The combat is just too frequent and too boring to interest me anymore sadly.

Back
Top Bottom