Games Com 2012

Next batch of photos : This is also a learning lesson on how flash can distort the colours of things.

The antique boxes are from the Retro games exhibition there. i have more photos from this exhibition, but I'll upload them only if there's enough demand.

Attachments

• Gold Box.jpg
    Gold Box.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Gold Box_.jpg
    Gold Box_.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 66
  • Defiance Monster.jpg
    Defiance Monster.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Derfiance Monster_.jpg
    Derfiance Monster_.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 64
  • SIM City 1.jpg
    SIM City 1.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 61
  • SIM City with door.jpg
    SIM City with door.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 18
And the last batch; I have some more, but they are not good enough for showing.

This last picture is actually very interesting; it doesn't say from when it is, but I believe that it actually is from the last Games Com because I saw it relatively early during the first public day, and it is imho imposibly that it could have gained so many points through the business day and the first half of the first public day only.

It reads like this :

- points -> the closer to the middle = the more this statement is true
- opposite for points farther away from the middle

Title : "In my buying decicion these things influenced me :"

Clockwise :

- the opinion of my friends (from noon to 2 o'clock)
- reviews in gaming magazines (from 2 to 3)
- "let's play" videos in the internet
- the sales numbers of the games
- the opinions of the parents
- big advertising events
- known titles and developers
- the price of the game (10 to noon)

Attachments

• Blizzard Lego Orc.jpg
    Blizzard Lego Orc.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Blizzard Lego Orc_.jpg
    Blizzard Lego Orc_.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Blizzard Lego Warcraft.jpg
    Blizzard Lego Warcraft.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 28
  • TDE Demonicon Games Com 2012.jpg
    TDE Demonicon Games Com 2012.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Who buys why.jpg
    Who buys why.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 26
Great job on the pics Alrik. Love seeing the lego display, glad I don't have to clean them up afterwards. Did you say how many they used?

I have no idea, sorry.

Was it running on PC? Did you happen to hear anything about whether the released minimum PC specs are incorrect?

Nice, the special card game they designed looked like fun.

They had PC, X360 and PC. And PC versions were controlled by keyboard and mouse. I actually think this is the way it should be since not all people have all systems. Most of the time you can only play X360 or PS3 or it's a PC but with a controller and no keyboard/mouse.

While we were waiting inside the booth I was watching a few people play the PC version but I didn't hear anything about the specs.

The graphics weren't mindblowing and I only saw the PS3 version up close since PCs were occupied quickly.

So where are the booth girls? :)

I didn't take photos of any. It's just not my style. I prefer situations and places.

LOL :lol:

The local TV station WDR shows today from 22:45 on (local time, of course ! ;) ) an overview of the Games Com : http://www.wdr.de/tv/westart/dienstag/extras/gamescom_sendung2012/index.jsp

It is possible that it will be available as a web stream after that, because this TV station often does this with their program.

By the way, I just remembered Lego LOTR - but not for the PC. Only for consoles.

Alrik you rock! Thanks for these pics!

@JuliusMagnus - Photos with booth girls… or you weren't there. ;)

I'll use you as excuse to take pictures next time:

"I don't really want to, but this guy on a forum insists I take a picture with you, so I have to."

Just remembered that Neverwinter is going to use the 4.0 rules, an representative told me !

Just remembered that Neverwinter is going to use the 4.0 rules, an representative told me !

I would be more interested if it was a true sequel to the series. Which it is not.

PCGames.de has lots of photos with booth babes. Just scan the front page.

A few more remarky from my currently favourite IT magazine, which comes 2-weekly :

- The new Unreal engine is seemingly optimzized towards "very capable" PCs with Direcx 11 plus "lots of RAM"

- Hitman : Absolution uses 1000 AI - "agents", who fit into an only 42 KB gib "data block" which fits into "one of the SPUs of the Cell processor of the PS3". The game renders only 500 of them.

- "Machinations" is a free tool for outlining events etc. for games - similar to UML diagrams.

- UFO/XCOM: Enemy Unknown will have the possibility to use multiplayer - which grants access to the Alien's "Psi powers".

- "Iron Sky Invasion" is a game modelled after the satire movie called "Iron Sky" - made by Reality Pump, the makers of Two Worlds.

- The Raven is a two-sides criminal investigation story : One side (played first) is the inspector, the second side (played second) is the thief.

- 1954 : Alcatraz is a game abnout a small criminal sitting in Alcatraz, wanting to break free - and his wife, living outside and being pressured by a mighty gangers boss, who wants the hidden stash of the small criminal's last robbery.

- Liily Looking Through is a game where Lilly, the famale protagonist, is walking through a present-time, dreaded, dead world consisting of mainly ruins, the article says, but when she finds special glasses, she gets "placed" into the past, everything becomes vibriant, colourful, and living. She can change the past to a better future, then. (Vaguely reminds me of Lucasarts' "Lucidity"). (My personal favourite from this magazine's list ! ;) )

- Sony shows several "very gloomy/dark" games : "Until Dawn", "Rain", "Puppeteer".

- "TearAway" has figures consisting of paper (for the so-called "PS Vita" console).

- "Remember Me" is also noted as an unusual game, but also as a very dark and gloomy game.

- In Borderlands 2, there is an player class called "Mechromancer", and this is a female class who is able to call robots to help her fight her enemies.

- Epic Mickey 2 "The power of 2" (featuring Oswald, the Lucky Rabbit), is scheduled not only for the Wii, but for other gamnes as well.

Two trends the magazine notes, and which I must agree are true and were very visible there :

- Games become more dark and gloomy in general.
- The sheer amount of aggressive games, shooter games and militaristic games was dominant. The article says that (very roughly translated) "in the past tactic shooters & co. seemed to have been balanced by Party and sport games for Kinect and Wii judging from the audience's view - this year the military dominated strongly".

- Another trend is the one towards online gaming / MMO / F2P.

I'm currently going through my swag ;) :D and I've noticed a card from a German-based online games distributor : "MacGames".

The UI of www.mcgames.com is astonishingly similar to that of Steam. It even has the same, dull colouring and display of things in columns.

At the Games Com, someone from their booth gave me a card with a code for a downloadable game.

Personally, I really don't know what to think of them - I see this name for the very first time.

They apparently try to compete with Steam, Gamersgate, and how they are all named - but for DACH, which Steam et. al. usually don't cover (they merely often offer English-language versions of games in DACH even although localized versions are available).
According to their web site, they had oncve used the name of "gamedownload.de", but had "re-branded" themselves into "MacGames".
(The Scottish word "Mac" is here in Germany often used to hint to something being cheap, due to a genre of so-called "Scottish Jokes" which depict Scottish people as being very penny-pinching.)
Their mother company is called "Village1".

They also seem to offer Apple MacIntosh games.

I seem to have missed a few more booths at the Games Com than I had thought.

Edit : Regarding the newest Jack Keane game : http://facebook.com/captainKeane
Got this on a card.

Edit : Just found out that 3 of my 4 code cards taken from the Valve booth contained a code for Dungeons Of Dredmor.
Unfortunately the codes give *no* hint whatsoever of what game they redeem, or otherwise I would have given them away.

Edit : Now it's 3 of 4, and I'm actually thinking of giving away the last code, assuming it redeems this game, too. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom