The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Kordanor looks back at some broken MMORPG dreams in the era 2001-2007:

10 Unreleased MMORPGs ~ 2001-2007 -
A stroll through the cemetry of MMORPGs

MMORPGs covered:

• Ultima Online 2 (UO2), Ultima Worlds Online: Origin (UWO:O)
  • Ultima X Odyssey
  • Mythica
  • Imperator
  • Warhammer Online
  • Midgard
  • Realms of Torment (RoT), Mourning, Age of Mourning, Thrones of Chaos
  • Middle Earth Online (MEO)
  • Dragon Empires
  • Wish
  • (Bonus) Dark and Light (DnL)

More information.

Back in 2004(ish) I was involved in a limited beta of an MMO based on the Stargate franchise. That was back when companies actually had closed betas and didn't release them on Steam as finished games.

Thank you! Always wanted to make a video about that. I spend hours and hours watching some of these trailers back then, read all the news, followed multiple projects and actually also tried to get a foot into the door of the industry. Finally got the opportunity at Gamigo as intern (which also did Support for Anarchy Online in Germany back in the day). Realms of Torment was a bit of a less successful endeavour though. ^^

Back in 2004(ish) I was involved in a limited beta of an MMO based on the Stargate franchise. That was back when companies actually had closed betas and didn't release them on Steam as finished games.

You might argue though that the state these games were in at the time of release was even worse. Some of these games had a really rough start. Anarchy Online for example...kind of a great game and atmosphere, but it was horribly plagued by memory leaks and connection issues. You actually had third party tools to wipe your memory, and you had to use it a couple of times if you wanted to get through a city.
And I also remember that I had been running for minutes and then just died by falling damage...because I was running down like a shallow beach and the server compared my current height level with the level I was at minutes ago and calculated the damage for that...
These were the days...;)

I also participated in the Stargate mmo, such as it was back in the day. We all had high hopes for it, yet in the end, splat it went. And of course the demise of Eq three, which the less said the better, imo. What an ugly crash and burn that one had!

And yeah, back when you had to wait for CD's in the mail, things did move a bit slower, creation-wise, yet I'd argue that, in those days, they were also far more secure and the average tester was actually there to TEST, not mock/scorn a product far before it's release date. The times do change, and not always for the better.

An MMO called "Wish" ? That's strange. I would have expected a more combat-heavy title ...

Back
Top Bottom