General News - Diablo Immortal Review

Never heard that term before. What exactly is an idler?

Typically you spend time building a character and equiping them and then send them out on automated quests where you basically go "idle" while you wait for them to come back. Alternatively you watch them do their thing but I believe you don't typically have many actions available to influence the outcome apart from sometimes having a "recall" button to abort the quest.

They are truely insidious. Guess why? An absolute slime ball of a human thought that if the designed games this way they could make people PAY for the quests to finish early!!!!

Another "feature" they normally have is the characters you can choose typically have a rarity i.e. common, uncommon, rare, epic, superhuman etc. These rare characters can typically be earned over a very long period (think years) OR they can be purchased for around 20-50 dollars normally.

The only reason I know is because there are a bunch of Star Trek idlers that people I know play.

Lower Decks:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eastsidegames.lowerdecks&hl=en_AU&gl=US

Star Trek Timelines:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.disruptorbeam.StarTrekTimelines&hl=en&gl=US

Imagine paying 50 dollars to get a Captain Picard with a gold border....

Thanks for the explanation. I can't fathom why anyone would want to play something like that, and I use the word "play" with a grain of salt since it doesn't sound like they're actually playing much of anything.

Thanks for the explanation. I can't fathom why anyone would want to play something like that, and I use the word "play" with a grain of salt since it doesn't sound like they're actually playing much of anything.

They're a lot closer to drugs than to games.

There is Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms. Another huge scam game licensed by the DnD we cherish and love. You put that together with DDO and Neverwinter, and suddenly you lose a lot of respect for the classic heartwarming dungeon crawling tabletop RPG.

Typically you spend time building a character and equiping them and then send them out on automated quests where you basically go "idle" while you wait for them to come back.

Sounds like Tamagotchi were among the first "Idlers" then. I always wondered why some people in my class were so obsessed by them. Must hit the same vain which I do not seem to have.

WolfheartFPS shared another video in response to comments on his last video.

Again a good video. I especially liked that one minute part at 4:00.

I am not unfamiliar with Marketing (study); to me saying that one is/can be immune to well-thought techniques to get money out of your pocket almost sounds like saying you're not human.

Even before the invention of mobile phone, PC, and TV people have been studying how to best influence others into buying specific products, even quite unnecessary things. They manage to get to us when we are distracted, doing other things, at a subconscious level. It'll pop up when in a shop and in a hurry, or having difficulty to decide which one, when you are feeling bad, or being too lazy to get down on your knees to see the cheaper products, or being at the end of that big supermarket and have slightly forgotten about your intention to eat healthier (and hey, you already bought the fruit and vegs, displayed deliberately at the entrance where the customer is still thinking about intentions) so let's grab some cookies near the free coffee stand - mm, smell it? - or the bars at the checkout, et cetera.

When playing a F2P game that same team of professionals, marketing people, behavioral psychologists, has been doing it's job again, making sure the company will be able to pay their fat salaries and big bonuses: to get people NOT to play the F2P game WITHOUT spending any money.

Imo it is naive to think that "normal" people, or hey, "intelligent" people won't fall into the traps.
I am more inclined to think that the opposite is true, meaning you are not the average person but are a bit different (steadfast/unmovable, less flexible/sociable?) and thus less prone to give in to impulses, peer pressure, bargains, you name it.

Though I tend to think that everyone has his/her weak spots, someone just has to push the right buttons. For we all share the same needs - we sometimes just have different ways to see to them.
And companies are still improving their product, meaning: trying to find all the buttons out there they can push.

So I agree with Wolfheart, intelligent people should warn and help people out:
Is it okay to take advantage of people with Down syndrome? No, is it okay to take advantage of people with lower intelligence?
[. . .]
Help us make this better. Be a hero. Be the intelligent hero that everybody needs.

Last edited:
Imo it is naive to think that "normal" people, or hey, "intelligent" people won't fall into the traps.
I am more inclined to think that the opposite is true, meaning you are not the average person but are a bit different (steadfast/unmovable, less flexible/sociable?) and thus less prone to give in to impulses, peer pressure, bargains, you name it.

The sad part of this is that there are people who can actually exercise self-restraint or be intelligent/stubborn enough to play these games without falling into its traps, but they'll become the best ambassadors for these malicious practices, by praising the game far and loud and baiting others to play it, increasing the pool of potential people to be scammed. And these people can do so much harm when they are say, news editors with a personal agenda and zero sensitivity towards the more vulnerable people out there, all to get some petty sense of self-satisfaction. It's absurd to think that someone would actually provide free online advertisement for practices like this.

For anyone with any sense of morality playing a scam game like this and enjoying it, whether they are spending money on it or not, the only sensible thing to do is to shut up about it and not spread the virus. They can keep it for themselves, in their home, where nobody will blame them for having fun with whatever they do in their privacy as long as they don't harm others.

Luckily, as others mentioned, this is starting to hit European country legislations, so hopefully, their days are counted, at least in the part of the world where I live.

@Nereida;
One last time:
I will report about these games.
I will report about the advantages and disadvantages about these games.
I will take no shut up/play in your cellar advices from anybody.

IMHO Genshin Impact is not a scam at all. Here's a guide how to play it without any risk.
Genshin Impact was the single best thing that happened to me during Corona - a game with fantastic gameplay, great exploring and challenging puzzles.

I'm tired of people judging games that they haven't played for more than 10 minutes.

Last edited:
For anyone with any sense of morality playing a scam game like this and enjoying it, whether they are spending money on it or not, the only sensible thing to do is to shut up about it and not spread the virus. They can keep it for themselves, in their home, where nobody will blame them for having fun with whatever they do in their privacy as long as they don't harm others.

That's pretty much what I do. I do actually enjoy some of these games, they can provide a unique experience and I actually like the idea of having my gameplay spread out over a longer period of time rather than doing it all at once. But I can have unusual gaming tastes and I also stubbornly refuse to ever spend money on them, despise the pay mechanics I see, and recognize how harmful that whole trend is to the hobby. So I'd never publicly endorse them, I mostly just keep them as a guilty pleasure and if I do talk about them I try to present a balanced picture of how awful they can be even if I'm having fun with them.

@Nereida;

I don't remember mentioning you or any other mihoyo puppets in that post. We're in a Diablo Immortal thread.

Could use toning down your desperate need for the spotlight at all times. You are really inconsequential to anything that matters on the topic.

Remember - it was you that made this a Genshin Impact thread as well.

Good game, wrapped in a very immoral wrapping, inciting gambling with real money, preying on vulnerable people with addiction issues, especially young ones who can not afford it and will do what they have to do to get just one more dopamine shot. The danger of this game is that unlike most games with scammy gambling revenue practices, it's actually well made, it plays good, feels good, and looks good.

Much in the vein of Genshin Impact, avoid at all costs.

I don't remember mentioning you or any other mihoyo puppets in that post. We're in a Diablo Immortal thread.

Could use toning down your desperate need for the spotlight at all times. You are really inconsequential to anything that matters on the topic.

You did mention "news editors", and though you did not mention HiddenX by name, there are not that many options who you could be alluding to, even considering your PoV of 'it is up to the other person to feel addressed or not'.

You did not mention Genshin Impact though in the post #87 above.

I understand you have strong feelings about F2P, but to think HiddenX has "a desperate need for the spotlight at all times", is really going over the top. I advise you to tone it down.

I'm tired of people judging games that they haven't played for more than 10 minutes.

HiddenX is free to post about news he thinks is important. He does not have to defend or answer for his choices as a news editor in any way.

Other members are allowed though to criticize a newsbit or a game - them having played the game is no prerequisite.

I understand Genshin Impact is dear to you, HiddenX, and you had and have lots of fun playing it, but others are allowed to discuss the downsides of in-game purchases, in general or of a specific game.
People worry. In general. Please consider that as well when speaking again highly of the experience you had with one game in particular when in-game purchases are being discussed.

Last but not least: this is a gaming forum. Not a forum of psychologists; people are allowed to analyze and criticize other posters behaviour, but as we all know, it often leads to strong reactions, also aimed at the behaviour/psyche, and often ending up in name-calling (which makes me handing out red cards).

I suggest we return to the topic.

Last edited:
I like the HiddenX posts about the game. It is without a doubt an RPG and so is worthy of being posted about.

However, it would be remiss to post about the negative highly predatory practices that the game has as well.

It is similar to Diablo Immortal in that regard, although perhaps not quite as bad.

It is a simple fact that all F2P games, by their very nature, are an inferior product. I fail to see how anyone could think that the actual game underneath all the microtransactions is better as a result of it being F2P.

Reminder:

Some people seem to have missed my last paragraph in #92.

So, how about NOT analyzing and/or criticizing other members in this thread?

Perhaps red letters will do the trick.
[highlight]Final warning[/highlight]

Well some good news once again. It's Blizzards worst rated game.

What The Hell Happened To Diablo Immortal?

Will Diablo Immortal be able to do that? We certainly hope so. It's not impossible, that's for sure. But it's going to be very, very hard. Right now, after widespread review bombing, the game is sitting at a user score of 0.5 on Metacritic, which is the second-lowest Metacritic user score for a Blizzard game to date, second only to World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Classic (which sits at a 0.4).

Hell, Diablo Immortal is even rated lower by users than the disaster that was Warcraft 3: Reforged (0.6, in case you're curious). Clearly, if Blizzard does want to turn this ship around, there's going to be a lot of work that'll need to be done. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen, but right now, there's little doubt that the situation, in a word, is hellish.

I can't figure out if this is a cool game or not?
I talked to a neighbor of mine, who loves Diablo, around the launch of this. His response was more or less: "I tried it. It's cool for a mobile game, but I'll stick with D3 instead."

I also tried it a little. I'd sum it up as: Cool what can be done on a mobile phone, but it feels like I'm playing a game with annoying people who keep talking about the economy of the game, and try to sell me stuff instead of letting me play it.

Back
Top Bottom