General News - Marvel MMORPG Confirmed

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Wccf Tech reports confirmation of a new MMORPG in the Marvel universe.

Marvel MMORPG Confirmed to be in the Works; LOTRO Revamp, Console Launch Still Happening

nad Global 7's Q3 2021 investor presentation contains a number of interesting tidbits, mainly concerning Daybreak's lineup where the crown jewel is an unannounced Marvel MMORPG.

This is the next-generation action MMORPG in development at Dimensional Ink Studios, the studio behind DC Universe Online. Wccftech first broke the story on that in early 2020 thanks to an interview with CEO Jack Emmert, formerly one of the founders of Cryptic Studios and designer of City of Heroes.

While Emmert wasn't able to say much at the time, we did learn that what we now know as the upcoming Marvel MMORPG already had a working prototype. The executive said Dimensional Ink Studios planned to take advantage of next-generation platforms (presumably a reference to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X, in addition to PC) so that the developers could be 'looking at gameplay and systems that make better sense for the future, rather than what MMOs might have been like five or ten years ago'.

[...]
More information.

I'm surprised no one developed a Marvel MMO sooner to capitalize on the IP's popularity while it was still peaking. If you ask me, this feels a few years late.

Errr, there was a Marvel mmo a while back, maybe ten to twelve years ago? I played it for maybe ten days, it was entirely too basic and easy for my liking, honestly I've no idea what ever became of it. I'd all but forgotten the thing.

The only previous online Marvel game I can think of was Marvel Heroes which was a free-to-play ARPG that lasted just a few years.

I just saw this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkuvXLJFJQ -talking about it.
1. the LOTRO graphic overhaul - They did that already and its engine was very laggy with better looking higher level zones - nobody knows why, but the question was if it couldn't handle it. They try so hard and still it is not enough - still people will say it looks bad. When I log in from time to time I can see why maybe - the lightning is flat. That is a problem with old pseudo realistic games I guess? But when I was playing the game regulary I didn't see it as a problem. Because I liked the designs, animations.
2. consoles? It is tabtargetting system with a lot of skills - like 15 skills - how they would transfer that on consoles?

Now all of my hopes are really down. The only thing I wish for LOTRO is to make it more of roleplaying, like make it more accessable to lowbies by removing red zones, removing levels restrictions from cities and adding more of NPCs with non combat class/RP based quests - that is enhancing the strength of LOTRO for me. And tone down amount of mobs/slower down horse combat. But they claim to know better, and now this - like wtf.

Actually I started to admire tab targetting combat as an easier version of isometric CRPG combat, better for MMO lagging and I quite miss all those LOTRO group and solo more strategic fights in modern action games.
If I would have money to create my dream MMO, it would have tab targetting strategic combat system, because I can see the opportunities with that. But maybe I would be wrong again.

MMO's? Nah. This is why licensed video games will always be trash big budget, low niche value affairs. They aim for every platform under the sun, try to appeal to as wide an audience as possible and end up delivering a sub par game nearly everytime because they are trying to please too many people. The only real exceptions I can think of are the Batman Arkham games.

Totally uninterested in the superhero genre, Marvel, DC, or anything in that vein BUT I actually thought City of Heroes was kinda fun; and this was inevitable. Marvel is too big of a name to NOT be turned into an MMO.

City of Heroes was great, and died far too soon. You are likely correct, those that say trying to appeal to too many leads to a watered down product, as we've seen in several forms of entertainment. I'll keep my expectation well below the norm for this, hoping for the best yet expecting....trash.

I logged into LOTRO out of nostalgia and actually it is 35 skills on my skill bar. This is so sad - gb lotro again. Why they always have to listen to wrong people? and now it is clear what they denied - that SSG devs don't own LOTRO - it really was Daybreak and now that corporate company. Sad is that even WoW players played part in this - they never understand other MMOs, always demanding what they are used to, repeating themselves without understanding what they are talking about, bringing their own problem where they are not and recreating WoW cataclysm all over again even in games which needed other changes - LOTRO doesn't need everyone in endgame - it was always about the road, journey, about feeling like home in the world of Tolkien, but well, whatever.

MMO's? Nah. This is why licensed video games will always be trash big budget, low niche value affairs. They aim for every platform under the sun, try to appeal to as wide an audience as possible and end up delivering a sub par game nearly everytime because they are trying to please too many people. The only real exceptions I can think of are the Batman Arkham games.

I haven't tried them (yet?), but I read that the South Park games were pretty good, and they were even RPGs. Perhaps it's not about licensed video games, but rather about MMOs...

I played the first South Park rgp when it came out a few years ago, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good a game it was. I've not played the second one as of yet, or others if they've more out.

I logged into LOTRO out of nostalgia and actually it is 35 skills on my skill bar. This is so sad - gb lotro again. Why they always have to listen to wrong people? and now it is clear what they denied - that SSG devs don't own LOTRO - it really was Daybreak and now that corporate company.

Daybreak bought SSG only last year or the year before that.

Sad is that even WoW players played part in this - they never understand other MMOs, always demanding what they are used to, repeating themselves without understanding what they are talking about, bringing their own problem where they are not and recreating WoW cataclysm all over again even in games which needed other changes - LOTRO doesn't need everyone in endgame - it was always about the road, journey, about feeling like home in the world of Tolkien, but well, whatever.
I once read that SWTOR was heavily influenced by WOW as well.

Well ... with WOW (and with Blizzard's Actio-RPG genre in general) we have the power of money : No developer can escape it ... "Follow the trail of money ..."

This is like the overwhelming might of the Roman Empire ...

I haven't tried them (yet?), but I read that the South Park games were pretty good, and they were even RPGs.

I tried the first one but couldn't get into it despite being a big fan of the show. It made me smile a few times, but I generally don't play RPGs looking for laughs.

Also, it looks *exactly* like the show, so I don't really see the point. The gameplay (to me) isn't good enough to stand on its own, so I'd rather just watch the show.

Well … with WOW (and with Blizzard's Actio-RPG genre in general) we have the power of money : No developer can escape it … "Follow the trail of money …"

This is like the overwhelming might of the Roman Empire …

SWTOR was an interesting game, definitely heavily WoW inspired. It actually had a surprisingly good story for a MMO, often with real decisions and consequences. But I think it was just a little too WoW inspired. WoW was still a major player and the people who wanted a game like that would just play the original since that's where their friends/guildmates were.

I'm not really sure that the old school MMO model really works anymore. I don't think there is ever going to be another subscription based game with the success of WoW. It's not clear if the new game is going for that or more of a free to play/pay once with extra costs for bonuses model.

Personally, I would avoid any games that Daybreak is involved with, now and in the future. After what I witnessed first-hand with what they did with both Everquest franchises, they've left a sour taste behind for me.

Well … with WOW (and with Blizzard's Actio-RPG genre in general) we have the power of money : No developer can escape it … "Follow the trail of money …"

This is like the overwhelming might of the Roman Empire …

Thanks for clarification - I think their Mordor expansion didn't sell well enough, because of what I said (maybe I'm wrong, but this is how I see it) - both managers are primary players of WoW, they said that a few times, they don't understand LOTRO, so they aimed the preorder bundles of Mordor to WoW players who wanted easy access to "end game", also it was popular in WOW to sell insta level boost for reasons I can understand now - WOW does have their own issues. But they didn't make any bundle for LOTRO old players who didn't need it. They just wanted some cosmetics and ingame currency. So many players didn't buy preorder and bought it for ingame currency only. They told them why, but it still was too much for them to do it? It was a special moment some players waited for so long and they couldn't make a special bundle for them? And then started the separation of management from community. Well I guess it was inevitable, because from the beginning they had strange decisions, but they corrected them after backlash, until they didn't and they went their own way - now I guess they are in a need of new community, if possible recruited from ex WoW players, well I should really forget about LOTRO, I always write long posts and it is good for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom