General News - New RPG Studio Rebel Wolves

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new RPG studio has been formed by ex-CD Projekt RED executive Konrad Tomaszkiewicz which is called Rebel Wolves. Games Industry interviewed the man and asked about his ambitions.

jpg

Rebel Wolves is looking to create a single-story, dark fantasy game

Given the scope of CD Projekt's recent output and its experience with RPGs, it could be seen as the perfect place to realise ambitions like the ones Rebel Wolves have outlined. However, Tomaszkiewicz feels that going independent is the best way for the studio to chase its dreams.

"We're proud of the games we helped to create there and we're deeply grateful for all the opportunities it has given us," he says. "CD Projekt works with established IPs, and we wanted to create our own universe, tailor it to our needs and preferences. Also, we want to work on smaller games, in a smaller team, where it's easier to maintain a coherent vision."

Rebel Wolves' goals for its debut project are well-defined too. The team shares joint expertise in single-story, narrative-focused games, and that's the genre it's aiming for.

"We want to recreate the feeling of a pen and paper RPG session, where your options seem limitless, where the world reacts to your choices, where every decision matters."

[...]
More information.

"We want to recreate the feeling of a pen and paper RPG session, where your options seem limitless, where the world reacts to your choices, where every decision matters."

Where have I heard that before... oh yeah, from every RPG that every gets made.

Where have I heard that before… oh yeah, from every RPG that every gets made.

Well can't complain about a new RPG focused studio. But geez that last paragraph.

Do I pick up that +1 short sword, or not? Oh god what do I do?????!!!!!!!!

Where have I heard that before… oh yeah, from every RPG that every gets made.

True that. You might want to check out their website. They have the totally original "From gamers for gamers" tag ;)

Maybe they had one of those "boost your business" session, I had to witness that in my company and it was an embarrassing moment with core values tagged all over the place, haka-like shouting of the new company motto, and so on. Fortunately, the managers quickly got back to their senses.

We'll judge on the game once it's out, they have a good pedigree.

Well, if nothing else, I like their company logo.

Uff hard crowd.
i for one like it, cos the really grumpy employees always know what they are doing.

What's a "single-story" game? They only plan to make one instalment ever and then ditch the whole franchise forever??

What's a "single-story" game? They only plan to make one instalment ever and then ditch the whole franchise forever??

I have a feeling that was a typo or miscommunication and they meant single-player.

To be fair I do hope this studio is successful and produces good RPGs for us. As things stand they are saying the expected things but who knows what they will deliver really. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good things.

Wanting to recreate the feel/vibes of pen/paper games is a worthy goal.....pulling it off, however, is easier said than done. I wish them the very best and hope they can succeed, as it would enrich us all.

Well another developer making RPGs is always welcome in my book. The fact it's one of the head honchos who made Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 just adds credibility.

Last edited:
Good news yet realism and sales speeches do not always go hand in hand. Let's see in 5-10 years (if we haven't lost eyesight by then…ageing issues :p). I wish them luck on their voyage :)

Back
Top Bottom