Genshin Impact - Races past $1 Billion on Mobile

So, any shitty, immoral thing a company does, that is not specifically prohibited by law, is the government's responsibility? Right…
For sure I do not believe governments are there only to pose as parasites and do nothing for their citizens.
Seems you do. I mean, this isn't the first nor will be the last lootboxes company.

But hey, it's always easier to blame on some anonymous, in this case even easier as it's chinese, company. Then on your own vote that went to lootboxes protection lobbies.

And now when someone made 1bn on it, oh, it's sacrilege and the game sux.
Well, do continue to think that way.
My torches went down and pitchfork got rust ages ago when noone cared about my posts about FIFA and Madden. So sorry, but I'm not joining the lynchmob now, it's covid time and I have to respect the distance.

My intention is not to have this kicked in the delisted forum part so I'll stop here, but IMO this topic should be there and not for this specific lootboxes case but for all.

Last edited:
I just noticed that this game udses German words for names.
I think it might be some kind of fashion to use German words in J-RPGs.

Conclusion: This game can only be fun if you have to buy lootboxes :lol:
LOL no.
I just noticed that this game udses German words for names.
I think it might be some kind of fashion to use German words in J-RPGs.
This game has what you wanted. Daily, weekly and monthly events in a singleplayer.
And I don't like it.

But Hidden already said, some of those events are not time limited but are there to stay ("dating sim" which is not dating at all is one such feature).

Interesting thought. I would suggest that this line of argument has an issue on what constitutes "addictiveness" (forgive me the term) and what can cause addiction. People get certainly addicted to non-gacha games, to other people, to sex or even blankets.

Addiction is not necessarily tied in some specific attribute of a "thing".

(And of course, your example has a flaw in that it tries to separate the enjoyment attribute from the addictive one. On behaviors like gambling, the thing that causes the enjoyment is the thing that can cause the addiction. A "safe" bet is a non-bet).

Always happy to engage in civilized arguments and I especially enjoy your non-personal handling and characterizations (which some people seem to have great difficulty avoiding, not only in this thread)

Yes, I agree the analogy is imperfect, but it was the one at hand. What I'm driving at, is that alcohol is inherently toxic, and also an addictive drug that goes beyond the standard risk of psychological addiction - there's increasing tolerance and intake, physical dependence, and so on. I think if we could design it from scratch, we'd probably avoid those features, even if we couldn't avoid the addictive potential of a pleasurable thing.

Anything that stimulates a reward response can of course form an addictive behaviour. But I do think that with these types of games, they have been deliberately and cynically designed to maximize the well-known addictive potential of game reward loops, combined with the allure of gambling. As I mentioned earlier, it's not too hard to find evidence that they know exactly what they're doing.

I think if we go back to the analogy of the wine merchant, it's very possible he's not cynically attempting to maximise the addictive potential of his product, but just trying to sell quality goods - very often also being responsible, and refusing to serve people in a state of inebriation. Over here, he'd lose his license if he didn't.

And yes - it's great when debates can be had like this. :thumbsup:

This has been an interesting thread about a game I've never had any interest in, but now I know for sure I'll never touch it.

Genshin Impact sounds like a perfectly fine game. I don't love lootboxes, but it seems strange how people love to pick on this game, and games from Ubisoft and EA which do almost the same are not so much criticized.

Yea, not a fan of these online mmo pay games.

I read the thread because it was pretty interesting.
Truth be told, I have seen other "questionable" games being given news stories here. Not sure when this started, but there was a definite "loosening" of what games get coverage here, say, in past year or so.

But I'm kind of a purist, and so won't complain about it, most of the time, lol.
I know not everyone will have my same, exquisite, refined, excellent taste….:p

Now I'm interested - what "questionable" games you are referring to?

I will not support game with similar monetization policy by principle as I already mentioned in several threads since it has coverage in news here. Im glad other people see whats wrong about it as well and I see relevant arguments against gacha in this thread. On the other hand the counter-arguments are basically just two: its not mandatory and others do it as well. For someone those might be enough to excuse for supporting such product. Well, not for me. Will avoid it and will hope there is still long road before this is standard monetization construct for video games in general.

Genshin Impact sounds like a perfectly fine game. I don't love lootboxes, but it seems strange how people love to pick on this game, and games from Ubisoft and EA which do almost the same are not so much criticized.

Speaking for myself, I've definitely done some ranting on here about several other games with similar practices. Most of those games are of little interest to me in the first place, so I'm not banging on about it every week.

I should also say, it's not to do with any sort of anti-Chinese sentiment - I've got no time for that sort of thing. It's only the Chinese state that concerns me. The game has a chat feature, for example, and anything disapproved of by the state censors is banned. I find that distasteful, too.

In the past, I've defended Chinese companies, and talked about we depend on them for all sorts of things. But in this context, they gain the ability to fully exploit my PC, and that I'm not too happy about. I know some people are going to consider that a bit too paranoid about security, and fair enough. But it's a subject that particularly interests me, and I think it's worth bearing in mind.

Ubisoft and EA are like Voldemort in this site, even saying their names is sacrilege, so I don't know, I guess you haven't been around a lot?

It also has nothing to do with being Chinese, someone mentioned they feel less comfortable knowing the company behind the level 0 trojan the game puts in your computer is Chinese, but honestly, it's just as bad as if that company was American. Nobody should be putting trojans in my computer, especially on a single-player product. And especially not to remain in my computer even after I completely uninstall the game.

So yes, lootboxes are as bad as gachas, but it is uncommon for a game that gets coverage in this site to have that kind of thing, it's more of a shooter/sport game thing. When a RPG did have lootboxes, it has been thoroughly criticised in this site and any RPG fan site that I know. Cases like Mass Effect 3 or Assassin's Creed had pages upon pages of nerdrage going on. BioWare went from the gods almighty of RPG to sellouts that sold their soul to EA. Ubisoft even had a huge thread casting them to the nine hells because some important members of their staff allegedly harassed women and had a generally mysoginist/chauvinist attitudes.

And thinking of it, at least Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey were excellent games, while Genshin Impact isn't more than a Zelda ripoff that is worse at everything Zelda does except for putting trojans in your computer and gently nudging you towards gambling with real money.

So yes, it's going to get criticism, especially because as I said, it's not even a good game. It does get good scores, because the game does have a charming early honeymoon phase, but then players sowly go into the real meat of the game, where they are offered to either infinitely grind or pay up, and realise that it's not worth their time and it's in general a very forgettable product, hence no nominations for any game of the year in any reputable site that I can tell, in a year where the quality of RPGs has been questionable at best. It just seems to be the fetish game of one particular mod that shoves Genshin Impact news about when about every real RPG fan rather forget the game even exists. This time, to showoff mobile gacha sales, no less. What else did you expect?

Last edited:
"This mod" that is only a news-editor and steam curator will continue to report newsbits about Genshin Impact, so you have to live with that or change your daily RPG News site.

"This mod" that is only a news-editor and steam curator will continue to report newsbits about Genshin Impact, so you have to live with that or change your daily RPG News site.

I think I'll kindly do whatever the hell I want so long it's within the rules of the site, but thank you for enumerating the choices you think I have. ;)

The problem with this particular newspost (in contrast to other newsposts about the same game) is that the linked news item is largely framed as a celebration of how much money some guys in Communist China are making off of loot boxes - it calls it an "impressive feat". That's not something I'd consider to be positive at all, actually it's rather distasteful all around, for multiple reasons.

I think I'll kindly do whatever the hell I want so long it's within the rules of the site, but thank you for enumerating the choices you think I have. ;)
Seems unnecessary to say…could show a little respect for the guys who put in volunteer time to post news and keep RPGWatch more informative, and less dead, than it would otherwise be?

Seems unnecessary to say…could show a little respect for the guys who put in volunteer time to post news and keep RPGWatch more informative, and less dead, than it would otherwise be?

Seems unnecessary and disrespectful to me to tell a forum user that keeps the forums active that "I'm this self-important person and this is how it's gonna be and if you don't like it you can leave" when they are sharing their opinion on newsbits that were posted so people can share their opinions to start with. Quality PR right there.

But sucking up is a thing, so I'm not bothered by your point of view, and I understand it. I'm just guided by different standards.

:roll: He never said you can't post about it, just that you have to accept that he's gonna post whatever newsbits he wants, or you can stop reading the news on the site. A slightly more polite way of saying "I'm not changing a damn thing, but thanks".

I never implied he said I can't post about it. Also why are you speaking for him or for what he meant? Are you his legal representative or just a translator? I'll clarify or discuss with him if there is anything to deal with in PMs, I do not need to deal with middle-men, much less when it's hijacking a thread.

Jesus. I should have known to not reply to one of your posts again.

Back
Top Bottom