HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted PC Gamer's God of War review:

God of War PC review

The best version of a fantastic game.

God of War is a PC game. That still felt weird to say as I wrapped up my second playthrough over the holidays. Not far above it on my Steam library sits another game that is "of War" for a different master--Gears 5. Just a few years ago, these two tentpole series existing on the same device was impossible. Now they share a virtual shelf.

Sony's latest angry dad game is evidence that the PC is the ultimate videogame unifier, and a great reminder of how the platform can bring out the best in games. I've killed my way across Midgard at 30 fps on a PS4 and 4K on PS5, but I don't think I can go back to either after 24 hours of buttery smooth monster chopping at 90+ fps. This is a damn good port, at least on my higher-end PC.

[...]

I was one of those people that scoffed at Dad of War when it was announced. I thought we were getting The Last of Us with an axe, but instead, we got a fully-fledged RPG with tiered loot and skill trees expertly weaved into a story about power, violence, and bad parents. It's an impressive departure from the edgy slaughter fest that this series used to be and a necessary change if it was going to come back at all. The mountain of money, talent, and time it took to reboot this 2000s relic into something worth existing today is evident in every moment. Four years later, God of War is still a triumph.

Score: 90/100
More information.

Ok, I've not played this game and look forward to doing so, so I'm basing this only off of some gameplay and review videos - but to me, "we got a fully-fledged RPG" seems like a bit of a stretch. Does that mean the last Doom game was an aRPG?

Ok, I've not played this game and look forward to doing so, so I'm basing this only off of some gameplay and review videos - but to me, "we got a fully-fledged RPG" seems like a bit of a stretch. Does that mean the last Doom game was an aRPG?

I played it on PS4 a while back. It has some RPG elements, like crafting and skill trees, but yeah, it's a stretch calling it an full RPG. Maybe more akin to the last few Assassin's Creed games, where they flirt with RPG mechanics. The was also a lot of puzzle solving in this game if I recall.

Well, few hours in it looks to be a hybrid of sorts, a light rpg mashed with darksouls or something. There is plenty that the game does wrong and right. The narrative is nice, it looks and runs great on 4k.

But then you can't even jump for god sake… :)) Well, you can when there is a marker! Exploration is kinda limited to a corridor hack and slasher i guess tiny semi open world if that was a thing? strangely enough it works, i guess cos it looks cool.

The puzzles are there just because, why not! Lets give them puzzles so they can throw that axe kind of thing!
Hm combat, on one side i like it but on the other you have that bloody lock - pause - interrupt in animations when you hit the enemy, it's kinda going on my nerves but it's getting better with time…
All in all it's cooi, i like it i think!:) if nothing else the boss figths are fun. It's a good game i guess, it's kinda weird a real conundrumr…

Last edited:
Yeah, introducing puzzles is a delicate operation.

Some would like any puzzle, but it's far from being the case for everyone. The least they can do is make it so that it really belongs and doesn't stand out like an artificial difficulty check.

I like some of them, but sometimes it's just silly. For instance in Wrath of the Righteous, "somewhere" at Drezen, the puzzle where you have to align giant concentric wheels which are somewhat synchronized, it's just bad design IMO. Firstly, it comes at a bad moment, but it's mostly silly and unrealistic in the context.

I'd much rather have a story puzzle than one which seems so out of place.

For me, Assassins Creed Origin / Odyssey / Valhalla is 10 times more RPG then this game and I didnt even like those game much. I dont want to imply GoW is bad game, especially if you dont expect too deep gameplay, but calling this RPG or even "fully-fledged RPG" is big joke. :rolleyes: mainstream journalists

I'm not paying £40 for a four year old console to PC conversion, I'll wait for a sale.
Looks better than most PC games, if the 4 year remark was related to graphics. :biggrin:

Isn't the follow up God of War Ragnarök due to be released this year?
No date yet, only speculations. And only on console from what we know. But if you get the previous one on PC at full price you might just vote with your dollars to make them bring it to PC earlier. :biggrin:

Looks better than most PC games, if the 4 year remark was related to graphics. :biggrin:

No date yet, only speculations. And only on console from what we know. But if you get the previous one on PC at full price you might just vote with your dollars to make them bring it to PC earlier. :biggrin:

i have to say it look amazing maxed out on 85” screen 4k at 120Hz runs like butter visual are on par with red redemption 2 not sure what the new age benchmark games are . But both games look amazing. i really like the boss fights and yes the combat get bettter the longer you play it... But it could do with abit of RPg injection with some modifications it could be an amazing RPG:))

Last edited:
and a great reminder of how the platform can bring out the best in games.

To me, PC gaming is a very much dehredated sort of gaming, since I see nothing but 1 sort of games from the big publishers there anymore.

And now, it "unifies" other platforms with bringing the same boring shit to them.

And everyone's telling that this is a great thing.

Mods? To do what? God of War isn't a mod sort of game.

He probably wants this mod. :lol:

85yfIkr.png

or this :lol:

cXNZePr.png

Agree with JFarrell71. I think Sony is just letting the buzz build up and maximising console sales before releasing them on PC. I think we will get another 1-2 of them this year or early next year and it's going to be either Last of Us or Bloodbourne.

I can't imagine that TLoU is still selling enough copies to continue delaying a PC port at this point. TLoU Part II is already discounted to $19.99

Plus, it's being said now that a PS5 remake of TLoU has been confirmed and might even be released this year. If that's the case, it makes me even more skeptical of a PC port happening in the near future.

To me, PC gaming is a very much dehredated sort of gaming, since I see nothing but 1 sort of games from the big publishers there anymore.

And now, it "unifies" other platforms with bringing the same boring shit to them.

And everyone's telling that this is a great thing.

PC Gaming has been a lot of things beside big publisher games since years now.

You sound like someone who started complaining about the death of PC gaming in the 80 and has been in the throes of a painful mourning since that time.

Back
Top Bottom