Godot Engine is coming along nicely

Could be tempting, and I may look into it, but not now. My main interest is working on mathematical things like cellular automata, self organizing systems, chaos theory (self-disorganizing systems?), and image processing. I have been considering using API's like DirectX and OpenGL because at least in some cases they perform better than GDI+ for 2D output. And since Vulkan seems to be the coming API, I thought learning that one should be my first attempt (I have used DirectX and OpenGl before, but that's a veeeery looong tiiiime agoooo.)

I have not thought of using game engines for this, but I'm open to try it, including Godot. But at the moment only as a user, not a contributor.

However, now I'm concentrating on C++, since C# support for the API's I've looked at leaves something to be desired (not saying that it doesn't exist). Besides, making GUI applications from the ground up is funny (fondly remembering his OS/2 days and also XWindows programming).

import<Human>; std::Male pibbuR{}; (pibbuR==pibbuR)?pibbuR++ : pibbuR--;

Well, if you do fancy it one day, I suspect they would greet warmly a pibbuR who wrestles complicated mathematics for sport.

A cousin-related news ;)
Unreal Engine 5 Early Access Game Starter Kit available for free download

Epic Games has just released an Unreal Engine 5 Early Access Game Starter Kit for free, meaning that everyone can go ahead and download.

According to Epic Games, this kit is ideal for those picking up Unreal Engine 5 for the first time. Additionally, it’s a great tool for indie developers looking to try out all the new features in Unreal Engine 5.

Stack-O-Bot is a small sandbox project that showcases a lean player controller, an expandable interaction system, and modular pieces you can build on. As said, this starter kit also uses a lot of Unreal Engine 5’s next-gen features. Therefore, you will find Lumen, Nanite, World Partition, Control Rig, Metasounds and Enhanced Input System.

Now since this is a small project, you should not expect visuals that can compete with The Matrix Awakens tech demo. Still, this is a great free kit for all indie devs out there.

You can download this Unreal Engine 5 Early Access Game Starter Kit from here.

This is a good sign, I think - they've started a professional company to support Godot. I expect there will be some consternation about it in the community, but I think this is probably a positive development.

It's to provide important things that simply cannot be done on an open source basis - the toolkits for console publishing, professional support contracts that more serious projects may require, and so on. I think it's a good-faith move, and should be a win-win.

I learned that Espiocracy was done with Godot. I'm looking forward to this game, but I haven't seen any gameplay yet, I'd really like them to show us some of that soon. It's very likely 2D only.
It looks like almost a pure GUI game? The GUI looks quite advanced however...

This is a good sign, I think - they've started a professional company to support Godot. I expect there will be some consternation about it in the community, but I think this is probably a positive development.

It's to provide important things that simply cannot be done on an open source basis - the toolkits for console publishing, professional support contracts that more serious projects may require, and so on. I think it's a good-faith move, and should be a win-win.
That's good news given the current state of Unity. Hope more developers use it.:please:

Yes, that's my hope. TBH, for 2D games it's arguably already a better choice, and the new 3D renderer is in alpha.

As you might recall, I do think that some of the problems that get pinned on Unity can also be plausibly explained by less-skilled devs just not understanding how to use it effectively. But now they've partnered up with IronSource, and got Riccitiello calling devs "fucking idiots" for not designing their games around monetisation, I think they've definitely gone to the dark side. I'd love to see a mass exodus to a nice, clean open source engine, with a huge community helping to improve it.

Last edited:
Godot 4 is well into beta now, and is looking promising. Came across this little demo, showing the new renderer, physics, animation, and so on. Could definitely see this being used for some great indie games.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z44r0WiUbrU

We'll have to see how the performances are in comparison to Unreal.

Espiocracy is using Godot, I'm really looking forward to this one, but I don't expect any 3D graphics. Only game I know that is using it.

I've also seen a very recent tweet mentioning Godot 4 was now supporting Rust, which is a good move. Though this is still early and experimental, and the lack of inheritance could be a problem if someone needs to build a class hierarchy (I have no idea of the paradigm used initially in Godot).

Well when most games developed today are made with Unreal your best bet is to target smaller developers. I wonder what a decent RPG made with this engine would like like?

Well when most games developed today are made with Unreal your best bet is to target smaller developers. I wonder what a decent RPG made with this engine would like like?
I don't think there'd be too much holding it back at this point. With the old 3D renderer, it was not a great choice for 3D games, but it should be very respectable now. It depends what you're trying to do, though. If you were going for an open world, with complex terrains, foliage, water bodies, and so on, then Unreal is way more geared up for helping you do that in an efficient way. But for simpler 3D requirements, such as a dungeon crawler like this one, or a top down style, I think it could be very promising. There's certainly no obstacle to creating complex RPG mechanics.

A lot to be said for a large and lively open-source community - if there's a problem, discuss it with the community and devs, and amend the code as you see fit.

Back
Top Bottom