Gothic 1 Remake - Goblins!

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted the Goblins of the Gothic 1 Remake:

Here is a closer look at Goblins in Gothic 1 Remake!

These devious little creatures can annoy even hardened adventurers. For inexperienced warriors, they can even spell their doom! They can quickly surround you and attack all at once, armed with clubs, old rusty swords, or anything they can get their hands on!

Goblins are crafty and, above all, light-fingered. Remember our old friend Talas from the Sect Camp, who lost the Almanac to a gang of Goblin muggers? It's time to team up with him once again and retrieve it!
More information.

I assume that image is an in-engine render of the goblins? Otherwise it's just stupid. I mean, it's stupid even if it is in-engine and not in-game. And even if it were in-game, I really don't see the purpose in dangling these little useless small carrots in front of a fan-base that is already mostly onboard, if they do a good job. It feels very much like just going through the usual marketing motions that big budget games go through. Which is kind of weird for a little niche game that has a very small fanbase. If they want to get a bigger fan-base they need to wow that target audience. One maybe in-engine image of goblins is not it. And also does nothing for the fans except annoy us with these meaningless teases.

Nevermind me, maybe I'm just overly negative.

I assume that image is an in-engine render of the goblins? Otherwise it's just stupid. I mean, it's stupid even if it is in-engine and not in-game. And even if it were in-game, I really don't see the purpose in dangling these little useless small carrots in front of a fan-base that is already mostly onboard, if they do a good job. It feels very much like just going through the usual marketing motions that big budget games go through. Which is kind of weird for a little niche game that has a very small fanbase. If they want to get a bigger fan-base they need to wow that target audience. One maybe in-engine image of goblins is not it. And also does nothing for the fans except annoy us with these meaningless teases.

Nevermind me, maybe I'm just overly negative.
You are not being positive.

Hardcore opinions seem divided, but honestly too little to draw any kind of conclusion from. Goblins in Gothic also never had any story/quest relevance.

Hardcore opinions seem divided, but honestly too little to draw any kind of conclusion from. Goblins in Gothic also never had any story/quest relevance.
Exactly. It's such a no-substance marketing post that you usually expect out of big AAA games that try to market every shitty little detail for months or years before it's out. They probably honestly think it's contributing to keeping the flame of interest alive for the game. It's not. Reminds of Dragon Age 4 marketing posts that keep detailing narrative stuff that has no interest since we haven't even seen any gameplay. It's such a vacuous attempt at trying to not be forgotten, since they know it's a long way off until we actually get something of substance.

The absolute best scenario/story of goblins vs. adventurers I found in the anime Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions. There goblins are powerful, because the newbie adventurers begin with such poor skills! :D Plus the show deals with the psychological burden placed on the members of a fantasy party.

Another excellent depiction of goblins & gore is shown in the legendary Goblin Slayer. Both shows are addictive: its like watching someone play and botch the battles dramatically, so outcomes are gruesome and captivating!

not a gothic game by any measure. all the ruggedness is replace by cartoonish stuff. if you don't believe play the demo.
gothic 1 was a damn vicious game.

To be fair, the demo is really old at this point, and it was just a test anyways to see how interested people would be in a remake. The devs have said that the finished product is going to be significantly different.

There was a video of the Old Mine some time ago that looked pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom