Hard West 2 - Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted some Hard West 2 reviews:

• Rock Paper Shotgun: Hard West 2 Review: rootin' tootin' tactical shootin'
  • Gamespot: Hard West 2 is a hardy, accomplished turn-based tactics game with several flashes of genius - Score: 8/10
  • Gamerant: Hard West 2 Review - Score: 3.5/5
  • Eurogamer: Hard West 2 review - absolutely stellar fun - Recommended
More information.

Hmmm... I was looking forward to this game but timed missions almost makes this an automatic pass for me. I hate having only a set number of turns in turn-based games. That always feels like lazy design in order to increase difficulty.

Hmmm... I was looking forward to this game but timed missions almost makes this an automatic pass for me. I hate having only a set number of turns in turn-based games. That always feels like lazy design in order to increase difficulty.
So I got the game and unless you're like @Kordanor and need to play on the highest difficulty then I've not had more than two timed mission in over 10 missions and they've been very easy to get to. There are some timers for side objectives but those aren't necessary.

@SSIGuy For fullness sake, I am now in chapter 2 and I found 1 more mission which was timed, but I had five turns to complete it and it took 2.

Maybe they should make a Nightmare difficulty without crazy mission timers. That would probably suit @Kordanor more and also not result in save scumming. I think most of the mission timers I have seen have been fine. The side mission timers are a bit harder to get to and I did try doing them a few times, but if it didn't work after couple of tries I just give up. Most of the side missions do not result in amazing loot or loot you can't buy anyway.

The main ones worth retrying for in my opinion are for cards as they are quite rare and give massive bonuses to your characters.

On another note, the game feels mostly quite linear, but I much prefer the way they've handled the campaign map in this one over the first one.
It's a bit of an odd one. Lots of cool things and much improved over Hard West 1 in my opinion, but it's not an amazing game.

Since I really enjoy TB combat I'll probably end up finishing it, but I'm not sure it deserves as much praise as it's being given from the reviews I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom