Help Wanted -- Walkthrough Proofreaders

Taluntain

Keeper of the Watch
Staff Member
Administrator
(I'm posting this here as it'll concern multiple games.)

For those who are not aware, I've only taken on the management of RPGWatch recently, whereas the website that I founded myself back in 1999 is Sorcerer's Place.

@Beren is our veteran walkthrough writer over at Sorcerer's Place, with a number of popular and detailed walkthroughs and guides published (e.g. PoE, Wizardry 6-7-8, DA:O, etc.). Currently, he needs some help with proofreading a few walkthroughs that he has in progress. One that has been partially proofread halfway through is the draft walkthrough for Pillars of Eternity 2. He has also drafted another, more subjective guide for PoE2 that goes more in depth into strategies and character builds and that includes Youtube videos of gameplay.

A large part of the work is proofreading, checking links, typos, spelling/grammar mistakes and so on. But Beren is also receptive to feedback as to the content of the walkthroughs themselves, and will often give credit when he includes points raised that he himself did not originally consider during his initial drafts.

It is a significant commitment, as he has more projects either in progress or planned for the future. For example, he is currently working on a guide for Siege of Dragonspear. He also has plans for walkthroughs for the Pathfinder games, and perhaps Baldur's Gate 3 as well.

But the commitment is one that can be handled with around 15 minutes or so a day. You would proofread and link check a couple of pages a day, and post your feedback to our Workshop forum thread on the Boards o' Magick (Sorcerer's Place forums). There will also be time gaps where Beren will take considerable time drafting the next walkthrough, which will give any proof readers significant breaks until the next draft is ready.

These walkthroughs are for the games that are covered by both Sorcerer's Place and RPGWatch, so they will benefit both sites. And people who help with finalizing the walkthroughs will receive credits and acknowledgements on both sites, and perhaps other benefits as well.

To qualify as a proofreader, you should posses these qualities:
  • Good grasp of the English language, and the ability to write well.
  • An eye for proper capitalization, punctuation, spelling and grammar.
  • Attention to detail, patience and persistence.
  • Enough free time on your hands to be able to proofread on a regular basis.
  • Intimate knowledge of the games covered in the walkthroughs is not required, but would be a huge plus.
If you're up for it, please send me a PM with a short description of your skills and why you'd like to help and we'll go from there. In case of multiple applicants, I'll try to select the most suitable candidate. If possible, we'll see about working with multiple proofreaders at once as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom