Hero-U - Review @ Wizard Worm

I played though this game in late 2018, and had a really good time with it. Lots of nods to past work these folks have done, well worth playing if you've enjoyed any of their earlier games, for sure.

I was always very much in love with Quest for Glory series. Played all of them, including unofficial remakes and replayed many times over the years. It should have been the easiest thing in the world, for Coles, to sell me this game, yet they failed. The Original KS pitch strongly disappointed me and I probably wasnt alone as they just barely made it. During development they started to change the game design but they constantly fought with inefficient funds. I probably should give the game chance, but Im afraid it will be just a shadow of their earlier games and I will constantly think what it could have been, would they handled pitch and development better.

Indeed, the game went through many changes, some of them very different from what many wanted. I would say try the game, perhaps grab it on a sale at some point, because if you enjoyed the Quest games, you'll likely dig this one as well.

I probably should give the game chance, but Im afraid it will be just a shadow of their earlier games and I will constantly think what it could have been, would they handled pitch and development better.

Sadly, I did find it a shadow of qfG1-4. My main issue with it is the extreme repetitive nature of the game and how the plot is heavily gated behind elapsed time.

The "university" has a strict schedule which unfortunately adds very little to the game apart from making it very railroad like in nature. You will be doing a LOT of the same things every day.

The worst part was how secret doors and content would appear based on time and it would have nothing to do with player skill and in most cases solving puzzles. For instance, in some places you can easily deduce the location of a secret door but the opening mechanism won't "work" until many days later. Exploration/combat zones also open up based on days elapsed.

I enjoyed Quest for Infamy more than Hero-U sadly. I think if they had of just stuck to the original forumla it would of been a far better game and it would of sold more copies and we would likely have a sequel by now.

There are good parts though. The magic system is fine and the character art is quite good and fits in with past QfG games.

If I had to score it I would give it a 6/10 and that is being somewhat generous.

I backed this game on KS, never did play it though! As I was a fan of the QFG games, I probably should give it a go.

Daniel.

Sadly, I did find it a shadow of qfG1-4. My main issue with it is the extreme repetitive nature of the game and how the plot is heavily gated behind elapsed time.

The "university" has a strict schedule which unfortunately adds very little to the game apart from making it very railroad like in nature. You will be doing a LOT of the same things every day.

The worst part was how secret doors and content would appear based on time and it would have nothing to do with player skill and in most cases solving puzzles. For instance, in some places you can easily deduce the location of a secret door but the opening mechanism won't "work" until many days later. Exploration/combat zones also open up based on days elapsed.

I enjoyed Quest for Infamy more than Hero-U sadly. I think if they had of just stuck to the original forumla it would of been a far better game and it would of sold more copies and we would likely have a sequel by now.

There are good parts though. The magic system is fine and the character art is quite good and fits in with past QfG games.

If I had to score it I would give it a 6/10 and that is being somewhat generous.

Thanks for sharing the experience, although it very much confirms my fears about this game, which makes me sad. Having such huge backlog as I do, I will probably not give this go any time soon. And thats just half of the pain. Second being the ordeal Coles went through during development. Wouldnt surprise me if we dont see another game from them. What a pity.

Nod Darklord, you really should give a shot, next time you're yearning for a new game to play. Lots of homages to their prior games concealed in this one.

Back
Top Bottom