Hogwarts Legacy - Gameplay Reaction

Right, from what he says in the video he hasn't played the game, so it's more speculation from other videos and not from actual gameplay. A little premature to conclude if it's overhyped or not.

For my part, all I need to know is that it's infected with Denuvo, so there's no hype.

Right, from what he says in the video he hasn't played the game, so it's more speculation from other videos and not from actual gameplay. A little premature to conclude if it's overhyped or not.
True, but I learned to have some mercy on content creators on YT for this.
The way the algorithm works, you are basically forced into clickbait-y titles / thumbnails or otherwise a video will get buried and just not shown to as many people.
Most creators that talk about it hate that, but there's really not much they can do about it. Only YT could, and they sure as hell won't.

For my part, all I need to know is that it's infected with Denuvo, so there's no hype.
In an ideal world, this game would not sell a copy because of Denuvo, but I am afraid it will...Btw, why is the copyright protection on Steam not enough for some publishers? Can it be cracked too easily?

In an ideal world, this game would not sell a copy because of Denuvo, but I am afraid it will...Btw, why is the copyright protection on Steam not enough for some publishers? Can it be cracked too easily?
Steam can be emulated/bypassed in 2 seconds with the right tools

True, but I learned to have some mercy on content creators on YT for this.
The way the algorithm works, you are basically forced into clickbait-y titles / thumbnails or otherwise a video will get buried and just not shown to as many people.
Most creators that talk about it hate that, but there's really not much they can do about it. Only YT could, and they sure as hell won't.
That's a fair point about the title, and it's true that it's more and more the case though I'm sure there's a way to make an honest title with catchy keywords.

But in this case it's just premature. He starts with "what I like about it, what I don't like about it, answer question: 'is this game overhyped'?", but the game hasn't been released even to content creators so he cannot answer those questions yet. All he can do is a "All we know so far" video.

And today, he goes on about how good the character creation is. :rolleyes: We just don't know yet.

Denuvo is more robust than other protections, I think last year there was only one cracked game.

But the real question is: is it really beneficial to put such a monster (or any protection for that matter) and make people pay more for something they don't like and that will probably be less performant? I remember reading a study on DRM that was not convinced of the economical benefit for the publisher, and I've never seen any study with a conclusion in favour of DRM. So I wonder how publishers estimate the "loss" due to piracy, and how confident they are that people using a cracked game would buy it if it couldn't be cracked.

It's probably hard to determine.

But the real question is: is it really beneficial to put such a monster (or any protection for that matter) and make people pay more for something they don't like and that will probably be less performant? I remember reading a study on DRM that was not convinced of the economical benefit for the publisher, and I've never seen any study with a conclusion in favour of DRM. So I wonder how publishers estimate the "loss" due to piracy, and how confident they are that people using a cracked game would buy it if it couldn't be cracked.
Or is it different kind of people entirely? The business people say Denuvo sounds a good idea because the "game cannot be cracked" without really understanding the side effects?

As far as I remember, some of the best selling PC games all time did not use these extreme DRM measures, but then again EA is not publishing NHL for PC because people used to ware it back in the days when piratism was the thing. With digital download platforms things have changed where I live, at least.

Publishers are stupid, but it will be cracked. So no, this won't kill my hype.

I've played dozens of games with Denuvo over the years and never had an issue.

Yeah, it'll be cracked eventually, but it's hard to predict with Denuvo. Some games get cracked in a few weeks while it takes months for others.

It will eventually be removed either way and waiting next year to play it doesn't bother me much. To be honest I'm still excited about the release and I hope it's as good as it looks.

It's pretty hyped and is already selling a lot as a pre-order, Denuvo notwithstanding. Will it sell enough to become a hit? That's a question will know soon enough. I am not hyped at all, but I might get it when it is 90% off or something :p

Any videogame based on an existing property faces an uphill climb to get my attention, but I'm very open to this being a good game. If the story is good and not just fan service, and if the gameplay is fun, I might end up being into it. I've always enjoyed magic school stuff, and I haven't played many videogames about that (one of the only ones I can think of is the entirely text based Academagia)

Any videogame based on an existing property faces an uphill climb to get my attention, but I'm very open to this being a good game. If the story is good and not just fan service, and if the gameplay is fun, I might end up being into it. I've always enjoyed magic school stuff, and I haven't played many videogames about that (one of the only ones I can think of is the entirely text based Academagia)
It's set to become a whole thriving subgenre soon, if it hasn't already. There are a ton of magic school games announced, though most are life sims similar to Stardew Valley. Personally, making your magic school game an ARPG (as this one apparently is) seems to me to be missing the appeal of the concept, but I suppose a AAA game was bound to go in that direction.

The embargo on previews (not reviews, that's later. Preview - so the first 5 hours or so of the game) from people who've actually got the game should lift in around 5-6 hours, apparently, so we'll be hearing more concrete information soon.

It's set to become a whole thriving subgenre soon, if it hasn't already. There are a ton of magic school games announced, though most are life sims similar to Stardew Valley. Personally, making your magic school game an ARPG (as this one apparently is) seems to me to be missing the appeal of the concept, but I suppose a AAA game was bound to go in that direction.
I don't see much appeal in that concept to begin with, but I suppose stranger things have become popular.

Previews are out. Looks like they got 2 hours to play at some point partway through the game.

They've done a good job of making you feel like you're at Hogwarts, there's a decent amount of casual magic around to help sell the atmosphere (a topiary in the shape of a dragon moves its head around, watering cans hover and spray water, you can animate the statues in a fountain, etc).

There's a day/night cycle, but it's a case of "they're here during the day, they're either there during the night or they're asleep so you can't see them - no 'they're there in the morning, they're somewhere else in the afternoon'.

You can pet cats.

Cons people are noting are things like popup issues, broom flight control looked a little clunky in tight spaces, some (not all) NPCs apparently looked frozen or at very low FPS until you got near them, they seem to rely on scripted encounters over instead programming people to move around on a schedule, open world's a bit empty.

But overall, previews were very positive. Of course, that might be skewed due to inviting mega fans to them, so we'll see how it goes with reviews in a week or two.

Thanks for the summary @Avantre. Helped me a lot as I would not have time to wade through all that fluff game journalists like to write. Sometimes I wonder whether they already use ChatGPT to produce text...

The previews I've seen were on PS5, not PC, and in the only decent preview I could find, the guy was struggling with the controller - he must have been a PC guy. So I hope they've implemented a decent K+M system. What I mean is, I hope it's not too arcarde-ish and combat-focused.

The character creation seemed to be cosmetic only? Maybe that's normal if the main character is defined in the setting, but I didn't see any sort of progression. According to their FAQ there are skills and such, though, so that should be fine.

The character creation seemed to be cosmetic only?
...BUT you can be sure that you can make a transgender character in this game :ROFLMAO: I know, I know, that's what you always wanted to make. A definition of a good game!

Back
Top Bottom