If you were a dog, what breed would you be?

If you were a dog, what breed would you be?

• Golden Retriever - warm, cuddly and great with childre

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Jack Russell - small, tough, opinionated

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • German Shepherd - poised and elegant, but rather hardy

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Tibetan Mastiff - or some other very rare breed

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Poodle - beautifully presented, but a bit of a poser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labradoodle - or some other cute hybrid

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Pit Bull Terrier - scary, but kind deep down

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
@Ripper;: Similar to your description I would characterize the main difference between dogs and cats as follows: Dogs always want to please you, while cats want to cuddle sometimes and want to be left alone at other times. For me dogs are like little children who never grow up, while cats behave like adults.

People, who want a pet more as a partner on an equal level, will prefer a cat, while people who need a subordinate will prefer a dog. This fits to your analysis: For a dog, the human is always the alpha dog, while cats don't have such strong hierarchy.

I don’t know, maybe I’m doing the pet thing wrong but I see it the other way around. We give them free room and board, bath them, take them to have their nails done, walk them, brush their hair, constantly let them out, free food and treats, pet them for hours, let them lay on us and pick up after their #2’s.

Who’s the subordinate? :lol:

I’d be a German Shepard. I have fond memories of the one I had in my childhood. So loving yet if anyone messed with me it was their funeral.

I don’t know, maybe I’m doing the pet thing wrong but I see it the other way around. We give them free room and board, bath them, take them to have their nails done, walk them, brush their hair, constantly let them out, free food and treats, pet them for hours, let them lay on us and pick up after their #2’s.

Who’s the subordinate? :lol:
That only sounds like a contradiction. Again, compare it to a baby. It is completely dependent on you, can't go out alone, you have to feed it and care for it, but still you are the one who has to make all decisions.

Your cats can go out on their own, but you have to walk your dogs...

In rural areas it was completely normal in my childhood that dogs visited many farms in reach on their own each day. It's just not possible in modern highly populated towns.

That only sounds like a contradiction. Again, compare it to a baby. It is completely dependent on you, can't go out alone, you have to feed it and care for it, but still you are the one who has to make all decisions.

Your cats can go out on their own, but you have to walk your dogs…

Not a contradiction, a joke about how I feel like a servant to my pet. Not a dog vs cat thing at all. Obviously people domesticate animals and both could easily go for a walk on their own. Dogs are restricted by people because they have the ability to rip someone’s arm off, a cat (common house cat) not so much. :)

I don’t agree with the adult, baby analogy. Having had both a dog and cat as a pet I’d say a better analogy would be a dog is like a family member living in your home and a cat is like renting a room to a stranger.

Having had both a dog and cat as a pet I’d say a better analogy would be a dog is like a family member living in your home and a cat is like renting a room to a stranger.
While this is not the way I feel about it, I can totally understand people, who see it this way. By the way I also had both cats and dogs as pets.

fetch-me-a-spot-of-nip-boy

an incarnation of pibbur who will say no more, say no more.

Back
Top Bottom