Images to inspire RPG locations

It's Metro 2033 in America.

Some of those are surreal. Very cool and sad at the same time.

Yes, and I also get some Bioshock vibes from them. Detroit was a thriving city at the time of what i think was the best American architecture, and had some great buildings from the Art Deco period that also pervades the city of Rapture.

Were they taken long ago, or are there still many buildings like this today?

I'm not sure exactly, but the book was from 2010. I think there were redevelopment plans for some of the buildings, but I don't know what's gone on since.

Hiking in the Lüneburg Heath in Germany can be quite spectacular. I particularly liked the Totengrund area.

Most of the heath has slowly been receding over the years and is being naturally replaced by expanding forests.

Komoot: [ https://www.komoot.com/tour/32483414 ]

Last edited:

I think this was near Schierke, a small settlement in the Harz mountains, where witches dwell. You can climb on top of the stone formation and look over the tree tops.

The North Sea, on Juist, an island where cars are banned.

The Baltic Sea, in Winter.

I particularly like the heathland and the rockface.

Shierke does look like those central european forest/rocks parks I love for tramping and my photos are from one of those. Still there has to be a lot of german gothic architecture - I'm waiting for those photoes to be shown here:)

Also Detroit pictures are spooky, like touches of evil or something.

I found some of the Detroit photos I was going on about. They're from a photography book called The Ruins of Detroit, by Yves Marchand & Romain Meffre. I think they're some of the best photos I've seen illustrating a great city faded. I reckon that book would be a goldmine for post-apoc designs.

There's a few of them, so I put in spoiler tags to avoid monstering the page.

Excellent selection of photos there but I just know I would trigger the trap in the first photo, curse, and then immediately trigger the second trap further up :)

There's something about modern(ish) decaying places that I find both fascinating and disconcerting at the same time.

Excellent selection of photos there but I just know I would trigger the trap in the first photo, curse, and then immediately trigger the second trap further up :)

There may also be barnacles.

529417-half-life-2-macintosh-screenshot-yuk-barnacles.jpg

There's some really nice pics going up in this thread. Kudos to all! (too lazy to thumb up everyone individually).

Wonderful thread.

I'm making a CRPG so I've been collecting some inspirational images myself:

2kbhga2phbz41.jpg

63d35c1c5d152d4cb174769c7263559f.jpg

Best-Heavenly-Moon-Gate-Ideas-for-Your-Garden-Picture-29.jpg

hawa-mahal-india-5kn5-l.jpg

Image-19.png

slide-19.jpg

piliers-de-terre-etranges-et-mysterieux-dans-le-nord-de-litalie-qui-ressemblent-a-une-planete-extrat.jpg

p5cdz4tbnbk51.jpg

The-passer-through-walls-Le-Passe-muraille-sculpture-in-the-Paris-Catacombs.jpg

Excellent stuff.

That last one looks like some sort of multi-limbed Ent creature. It has a great 'face'.

Back
Top Bottom