Intel Alchemist Gaming GPU

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Last edited:
Intel seems to rebound after their technical difficulties, but I haven't looked into this new Xe GPU development yet. As long as we have nVidia to save us from ATI, I feel safe ;)

Intel seems to rebound after their technical difficulties, but I haven't looked into this new Xe GPU development yet. As long as we have nVidia to save us from ATI, I feel safe ;)
You can keep nVidia and their overpriced garbage.:p

Seriously AMD as well the current GPU prices should be considered price gouging. Another competitor into the monopoly both nVidia and AMD have is a good thing.

Funny enough if someone told me AMD would beat Intel at CPU's again, and that Intel would one day enter the GPU market, my past self would have laughed at that.

One thing I can agree on is DLSS, FSR, and XeSS will make a bigger impact then RTX. That tech from all three brands now allow upscaled 4K gaming on low settings.

You can keep nVidia and their overpriced garbage.:p

Seriously AMD as well the current GPU prices should be considered price gouging. Another competitor into the monopoly both nVidia and AMD have is a good thing.

Funny enough if someone told me AMD would beat Intel at CPU's again, and that Intel would one day enter the GPU market, my past self would have laughed at that.

One thing I can agree on is DLSS, FSR, and XeSS will make a bigger impact then RTX. That tech from all three brands now allow upscaled 4K gaming on low settings.
They're expensive, that's granted. But I only had problems, with AMD graphics cards, and when I read about people having problems, it's more often with those cards than not. They have a notorious history of unstable drivers. Maybe it's changing, but it will require some time before I overcome my bad impression of them.

I'm not talking about AMD's CPUs, which are great for multithreading. I've read that lately they were getting good for gaming too. Intel and AMD have both a good history of chasing one another (especially after AMD saved its skin by buying NexGen to compete against the Pentium). We'll have to see how nVidia / ARM face them, if they can ever conclude their deal. But it'll become a nice trio to watch.

Intel was screwing the market for decades and stalling the technology progress.
Improve CPU efficiency by 1% then sell the old tech just a bit better for crapload of money, swindle everyone who doesn't know 2500K is the killer chip.

And now, thanks to Microsoft, you can't keep old CPUs and run win11 because... Well... Microsoft?
Or Intel paid under the table just like before.

Unless I see something much better than Ati/3dfx already do, I do not care about their cards.
Even if they give 'em away for free.

I don't have the impression Intel has ever been idle. They couldn't possibly stall the technology process with AMD (and others that came and went) regularly catching up and overtaking them. They have the merit of bringing the performance so far with the initial handicap of a complex instruction set and several modes to support. No, I think ol'Intel did just fine. And they still have their fab.

Perhaps the only reproach was that they didn't dare drop their instruction set and had to carry this heavy weight. Actually they did with their IA-64 and AMD took the opportunity with their back-compatible 64-bit architecture. Perhaps they should have done it earlier, but it's easier said than done.

I never cared much for their graphics cards either though. So far.

They're expensive, that's granted. But I only had problems, with AMD graphics cards, and when I read about people having problems, it's more often with those cards than not. They have a notorious history of unstable drivers. Maybe it's changing, but it will require some time before I overcome my bad impression of them.

I'm not talking about AMD's CPUs, which are great for multithreading. I've read that lately they were getting good for gaming too. Intel and AMD have both a good history of chasing one another (especially after AMD saved its skin by buying NexGen to compete against the Pentium). We'll have to see how nVidia / ARM face them, if they can ever conclude their deal. But it'll become a nice trio to watch.
Many years ago I had problems with AMD. Lately I've had none. I always read about people claiming AMD's software is a mess as well, but I've never rarely have errors.

It helps that consoles use AMD and most problems are games optimized for nvidia.

Many years ago I had problems with AMD. Lately I've had none. I always read about people claiming AMD's software is a mess as well, but I've never rarely have errors.

It helps that consoles use AMD and most problems are games optimized for nvidia.
We strive to maintain ATI's reputation :p

Yeah, that's probably old news, as I said it needs time to heal. Their drivers were a mess for a long time. And you're right, part of the problems come from games optimized for nVidia at the expense of the other graphics boards.

We strive to maintain ATI's reputation :p
Guilty as charged only because they used to be affordable.:biggrin:

Nowadays not so much.

There motto should be "Good enough for the average gamer."

In Linux land, AMD has a lot of advantages. They've open sourced their drivers, whereas Nvidia loves making a nuisance of themselves. In fairness, Intel has also been good on Linux and open source, so I'll be curious to see how that shakes out.

One of the things I do (which I guess is a bit of an edge case) is to have two gpus, and do hardware passthrough of one of them to VMs. That gives almost bare-metal performance in a VM, which is extremely handy. AMD lets you do that without problems, but Nvidia's driver tries to stop you if you're using a consumer card - it's a feature they try to restrict to their Quadro pro cards, completely arbitrarily.

In Linux land, AMD has a lot of advantages. They've open sourced their drivers, whereas Nvidia loves making a nuisance of themselves. In fairness, Intel has also been good on Linux and open source, so I'll be curious to see how that shakes out.
Oh yes, on Linux it can be a pain. There's an open-source version (nouveau) but last time I tried, it wasn't that stable, nor very performant. Very sad they are closed like that :(

Is that because AMD is the underdog?

Oh yes, on Linux it can be a pain. There's an open-source version (nouveau) but last time I tried, it wasn't that stable, nor very performant. Very sad they are closed like that :(

Is that because AMD is the underdog?

Yeah, AFAIK the Nouveau driver is mostly reverse engineered - nowhere near the official proprietary driver.

I think for AMD, being the underdog probably is a factor. When you look at it in market terms, open-source makes most sense when you're trying to encourage collaboration to take down the dominant party. I think it's an interesting dynamic to look at in the software world.

That doesn't look so bad for a new product line.

Intel ARC Alchemist graphics card leaks point to RTX 3070 performance

After years of waiting, more information is finally becoming clear about Intel’s long-anticipated return to the discrete graphics card market. We’ve had to rely on uncertain leaks and projections for years, but it seems that performance estimates for the Intel ARC Alchemist graphics card lineup are now being shared with a high measure of confidence. The latest leak suggests that minimum performance for the top model is now projected to compete with the Nvidia RTX 3070, and that’s nothing to scoff at given current market conditions.
[. . .]

One of the things I do (which I guess is a bit of an edge case) is to have two gpus, and do hardware passthrough of one of them to VMs. That gives almost bare-metal performance in a VM, which is extremely handy. AMD lets you do that without problems, but Nvidia's driver tries to stop you if you're using a consumer card - it's a feature they try to restrict to their Quadro pro cards, completely arbitrarily.

I've had a Linux dual boot for a long time but I never use it. I only have it in case windows gets destroyed so I can scan for virus' from there but I wouldn't even call myself a beginner linux user. Well, maybe, very vaguely. What is it, sudo apt get update? Bad syntax? =)

But, yeah, I'm not keen on going to win10 or 11. Sure, it doesn't really matter if Bill Gates watches me shower and it's the way the whole internet works. But I'd really love to leave windows behind for my new computer. Running emulators or VMs is still having to deal with the existence of windows, I suppose, but at least I can feel like the OS is mine. Right?

But I've never actually heard about running 2 GPUs for this purpose. Is this hard to do?

That doesn't look so bad for a new product line.

Not at all. I wouldn't have expected that level of performance even if it's not against Nvidia's best card.

Pricing is going to be key. I think they'll to have to undercut the 3070 by a significant amount to entice buyers to take a chance on them.

Not at all. I wouldn't have expected that level of performance even if it's not against Nvidia's best card.

Pricing is going to be key. I think they'll to have to undercut the 3070 by a significant amount to entice buyers to take a chance on them.

I agree. The primary reason I buy Nvidia is because it works and has for a long, long time. I would only chance Incel if their cards are super cheap in comparison. If it's a hundred bucks, nah.

It won't have much effect on the prices (of Nvidia and AMD), if any, because that has little to do with competition. Crypto mining and the chip shortage are the culprits there.

Not just scalpers blame NVIDIA and AMD as well for stockpiling chips, and selling large shipments to scalpers. Now I read the shortage wont be fixed till sometime in 2023.

Link - https://www.pcinvasion.com/tsmc-chip-shortage-stockpiling/

You can't even buy a console for MSRP anymore either. It's ridiculous.:(

The articles I read mention they have four variants that will launch for $100 & Up. The first Arc Alchemist GPU to compete with NVIDIA's 3070 GTX will cost $499.

Big question here is how attractive are their cards for crypto miners?

Back
Top Bottom