Witcher 3 Interesting stats

The Witcher 3
D

Deleted member 18181

DOing another replay of this game and was looking at the achievements unlocked globally on steam

- just 67% finished the prologue (white orchard)
- just 25% finished the main game
- just 3.5% finished the main game on last difficulty
- just 20% started blood&wine
- just 14% finished blood&wine
- just 21% started hearts of stone
- just 18% finished hearts of stone

I am one of the 67% who finished the prologue ... three times ... and never got any further either time. Simply could not get into this game much as I tried.

I'm the odd ball then as I finished the game over six times already. I'm still finding new content I missed as well as some is tied to your finished quests, and not marked.

Stats are like that for a lot of games. It's pretty weird. You'll get some achievement that everyone gets like 2 hours into the game and a crazy low percentage of players will have gotten it. Do people not actually play their games?

Considering the sheer size of TW3, I don't find those stats surprising at all. That's about what I would expect tbh.

I just checked Fallout 4 and the stats are very similar.

I finished the game the first play around.

Then finished it and both expansions a second play through.

I just started it up again about 2 weeks ago, but some nice weather came back so enjoying that right now...

Not too surprising for me.

I have many games in my library I have barely touched.
Many reasons, sometimes I get games for free, so I just try them out and if they don't grab me instantly, I rarely return to them in the future. In the case Witcher 3, I enjoyed the game, but it got samey for me after 50-60 hours.

So I stopped.

I enjoyed the Witcher 3 mostly. I played through the main game and about half of one of the expansions before getting burned out.

I experienced the story and gameplay was just so so. As such I don’t see me ever returning to it.

I felt physically ill opening the game towards the end, yes the story/graphics/C&C great, but the game-play..... sooooo boring and repetitive. I really really tried to play the expansions because I wanted to see the story of those, but I just could not.

According to a Finnish newspaper, The Witcher 3 is number 10 on the "most sold games in numbers of all time" list with 50 million units sold.

Can that be true? I thought Skyrim among others had sold more?

Screenshot_20231008_214622_Brave.jpg

I see that the list comes from Wikipedia. There's no Skyrim to be seen, so it does not appear complete (according to Wikipedia Skyrim had sold 20 million by 2013; must be a lot more by now). Anyway, selling 50 million, even if over half of them were on sale, is pretty good for a fantasy RPG.

Last edited:
Todd Howard revealed in June 2023 that Skyrim has sold over 60 million units since it was first released in 2011. "We're sitting here, it's 12 years after Skyrim," Howard told IGN.
Witcher 3 made the list but like you said 50 million. Tetris is number one at 520 million.

I see that the list comes from Wikipedia. There's no Skyrim to be seen, so it does not appear complete (according to Wikipedia Skyrim had sold 20 million by 2013; must be a lot more by now). Anyway, selling 50 million, even if over half of them were on sale, is pretty good for a fantasy RPG.
Wikipedia has a months-long dispute between editing people about whether or not accept the fact that BGS announced the 60 million sales. I think it's because Todd only said it during an interview and they are arguing over the nature of the source. :rolleyes: That's why I usually don't trust Wikipedia.

As for TW3, CDPR claimed 50 millions earlier this year (ref). Although they've just revealed a few sales for Investor Day (ref) where they claim 100 million games sold, so if you remove 50 for TW3 and 25 for CP2077, that leaves 25 for the rest, which sounds strange. Maybe the mobile games sold a lot.

EDIT: I wonder if the 50 million units include the DLC, or if that's only the base game.

I am one of the 67% who finished the prologue ... three times ... and never got any further either time. Simply could not get into this game much as I tried.
Almost exactly the same here. I keep coming back to the game every year or so when there's an empty period thinking "Maybe this time..." and as soon as the Ubisoft-like map interface comes up with 300 "interset points" and the watered-down "RPG elements" show up I just can't keep playing.

I realize it's a good game for those who do enjoy it. I just can't chase carrots on a stick in a game with such a simplistic combat system for 100 hours of my life, no matter how hard I try.

Wikipedia has a months-long dispute between editing people about whether or not accept the fact that BGS announced the 60 million sales. I think it's because Todd only said it during an interview and they are arguing over the nature of the source. :rolleyes: That's why I usually don't trust Wikipedia.

As for TW3, CDPR claimed 50 millions earlier this year (ref). Although they've just revealed a few sales for Investor Day (ref) where they claim 100 million games sold, so if you remove 50 for TW3 and 25 for CP2077, that leaves 25 for the rest, which sounds strange. Maybe the mobile games sold a lot.

EDIT: I wonder if the 50 million units include the DLC, or if that's only the base game.
Based on stats now this was from last year CDPR claimed Witcher and Cyberpunk franchises have sold over 85 million units combined. No idea about the other games.
Fast forward to 2023 and I'm sure it has increased so numbers don't match up.:unsure:

Based on stats now this was from last year CDPR claimed Witcher and Cyberpunk franchises have sold over 85 million units combined. No idea about the other games.
Fast forward to 2023 and I'm sure it has increased so numbers don't match up.:unsure:
Well, that confirms it, doesn't it? The 100 millions (mid-2023) are coming from 50 for TW3, 25 for the rest of the Witcher franchise, and 25 for CP 2077.

I just found it was a lot for TW1+TW2, but what do I know. It has to include mobile games that are in the franchise too, so maybe that's it.

There was Gwent which I never played plus that board game spin-off. Only app was that Witcher Pokemon rip-off. Still I wonder it that includes free giveaways and cheap sales?

Where are you getting that 67% finished the prologue but never got any further? Or am I reading that wrong?

I thought I read somewhere that BGS doesn't officially announce sales figures for their games.

If they're depending on something that came from the mouth of Todd Howard, I can understand why some wouldn't be willing to fully trust the source. :)

Back
Top Bottom