Is this a good time for a tidy up of the forums?

lackblogger

SasqWatch
The new forum layout is similar to, but not exactly the same as the old one. Under the new layout, stickies, for example, take up much more room and make scrolling down for the regular forum more cumbersome.

Wouldn't this also be a good opportunity to clean house of a lot of these old stickies and take the opportunity to unstick them? And maybe make some of the newer regular threads stickies.

The list of messiness is currently:

Off Topic - 7 Stickies
RPGWatch - 6
Owlcat Games - 5
General RPG - 4
General Non-RPG - 3
Tech Help - 2
General MMORPG - 2
Game Reviews & Comments - 1
Kickstarters - 1

With Off-topic being the primary offender, closely followed by this forum and then, bizarrely, Owlcat Games.

From Off-Topic, I'd unstick Birthdays and Bought, for example. Nice ideas, but they're not really rip-roaorers.

A lot of RPGWatch's are duplicates, like there's 2 for bug reports, 2 for new members and etc.

In GeneralRPG there's a very old sticky for Pillers of Eternity for some reason and another for Indy games (which, for some reason, isn't in the indy games forum). Meanwhile, @Couchpotato 's everyday posted to thread remains a loose thread that's always bumped to the top each day, which indicates it should be a sticky.

You could even split up off-topic into two, by having a general media forum. Then Off-Topic could have plenty of room to sticky things like Daily Smile, Team Corwin and some of Pibbur's most popular like to know threads or whatever. (Team Cowin could even be moved to MMORPG, since that what's it's about?). Anyway, You get the idea.

What say any others who read this?

Since I read it, I feel obliged to respond.

Such matters are quite trivial from my point of view - and while I have no problem with a change, I feel there are better things to spend time and energy on.

My only problem is with the pricewatch thread, should be moved to the offtopic area since there are What games are you playing now?, Last game(s) you bought or Last game you finished, tell us about it

Yeah I've noticed there's several stickies that should be un-stickied. The PoE thread (posted by "Deleted User" :LOL:) in General RPG is particularly strange, and the last post in it was 7 years ago. It does suck to have useless stickies because it wastes valuable screen space at the top of a forum's thread list.

I also think some forums should be merged, like Indie RPG and probably Kickstarters into General RPG.

My only problem is with the pricewatch thread, should be moved to the offtopic area since there are What games are you playing now?, Last game(s) you bought or Last game you finished, tell us about it
I've had the opposite thought once or twice. Those threads seem pretty on topic to me.

I've had the opposite thought once or twice. Those threads seem pretty on topic to me.
Yes, the gaming threads are quite spread out and don't necessarily relate to the subforum they're in.

Pricewatch is a good example of a general gaming thread, but it's in GeneralRPG, while the What Games are you Playing is in off-topic even though it's, again, general gaming. But there's no general gaming forum, just RPG and Non-Rpg, which makes general gaming topics difficult to place & they end up all over.

I've got going over every forum and seeing if there's anything outdated on my to-do. Lots of other stuff I need to do as well, but I'm chronically lacking time for everything I've got going on, so it may take a while.

Not all the stickies are as pointless as it might seem at the first glance, though. Except that PoE one, I unstuck that.

In Off-topic for instance, things that can go into a single thread have their own sticky so that people don't create a bunch of separate threads for them that the mods would then need to merge with the main thread. Though granted, once more than 5 threads are stickied, it's probably time to consider a better solution, e.g. a single index sticky for all such threads, or a forum index notice listing these threads.

Anyway, I'm bookmarking this so I can give it more attention later on. Making changes to stickies actually requires quite a bit of thought and reorganization.

Back
Top Bottom