Jagged Alliance 3 - Devdiary #1 - Game Vision

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Redglyph spotted the first devdiary of Jagged Alliance 3:

Welcome to the first Jagged Alliance 3 DevDiary!

The DevDiary is a place where we can discuss specifics about the game, share some insights about the development process, and offer perspective on what game-shaping decisions we make and why. We'll do our best to talk about cool, interesting topics, of which we'd love to hear your feedback! Hearing your suggestions will help us make the best game we can, and also understand what our fans care about.

It was really hard for us to keep silent for so long, since there is a lot we want to share about Jagged Alliance 3. It may go without saying, but thank you for all the love and patience, we really appreciate it!

Jagged Alliance 3: Our Vision

Hello and welcome to the first DevDiary of Jagged Alliance 3 in which we will present our vision for Jagged Alliance 3 !

Since many of us in the dev team are lifelong Jagged Alliance fans it is easy for us to assume that many readers of this article will also be intimately familiar with JA1 and JA2, however we will try to avoid this trap and present the information in a way that is accessible to newcomers as well. Overall, our goal is not only to introduce you to our game, but also to the principles that led us through the years-long development journey. We don't plan to focus on details just yet, there will be time enough for this in upcoming DevDiaries down the road.

Ever since the first pitch document we wrote we were certain about one thing - there was a particular feeling from Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 that made them special and we wanted to recapture it in our sequel - a unique combination of simulative turn-based combat, colorful characters, strategic management and the exploration of an open RPG-inspired sandbox world. A true sequel should rely on all of these pillars in order to recapture the charm of the first two games, so let's visit each of these points in turn.

[...]

In Conclusion

To recap all of the information above, here are the pillars of Jagged Alliance 3, as our team sees them:

• Deep turn-based combat that takes a realistic approach and allows a fine level of control
  • A large cast of quirky and unique mercenaries
  • Strategic gameplay on the satellite view map
  • A vast handcrafted open world to explore and shape with your decisions
We hope this article answered some of your questions about our vision for Jagged Alliance 3 and planted the seeds for many future DevDiaries! What aspect of the game excites you and resonates with you the most? What would you like to read about next?

Boian Spasov

Lead Designer
More information.

That all sounds good on paper. Hopefully they can deliver the Jagged Alliance sequel that fans have been waiting a long time for.

Last edited:
It's a Shakespearean tragedy that the lead dev couldn't get a third game made. JA2 is one of the best designed pieces of software (not just game) that I've ever seen.

Good DevDiary! The devs are seemingly in the right direction, let's hope for the best :)

Last edited:
Great. I guess. So what's the state of the game?
Hard to tell, there is pretty much no communication so far.
As for now the date is still some time in 2023.

Hard to tell, there is pretty much no communication so far.
As for now the date is still some time in 2023.
Yep they went quiet after the announcement but released some new footage a few months backs. One of the main developers then claimed development was stalled.

Anyway it was supposed to release this year but yeah 2023 is looking more likely.

Last edited:
Thanks couch. ^^
Regarding release they actually stated in interviews a few months back that it's supposed to be released in 2023.
So the question is rather if they can still hold 2023, if it's going to be 2024 ^^

Wake me when it's done. Reading about their plans and intentions is about as useful as hearing about my wife's latest diet idea. Low likelihood of it ever happening as described or ever.

To recap all of the information above, here are the pillars of Jagged Alliance 3, as our team sees them:

• Deep turn-based combat that takes a realistic approach and allows a fine level of control
  • Strategic gameplay on the satellite view map
  • A vast handcrafted open world to explore and shape with your decisions

Might not want to forget what made those games so memorable for many of us though, which doesn't appear to be listed here. The story, the antagonist (Deidranna, anyone??) and the reason we were "rescuing" the poor, downtrodden country to begin with! It gave me a ton of encouragement, knowing I was working towards taking that evil, nasty lady out of power there. (specifically talking about JA2, obviously)

I know I most certainly would not have enjoyed that game nearly as much without the little cut-scenes where she was abusing that poor, loyal administrator of hers.

Cheers, y'all. :)

I think the story isn't really a main aspect and more or less exchangable. I totally agree that the cutscenes were cool, but I also liked Jagged Alliance 1 quite a lot which had Lucas Santino...which I mostly remember from the intro saying answering to "should we kill them", that they should "first find out who they are, then kill them".
As long as they do something and do it well, I think the story will be fine ;)

If they get this part right they'd be halfway to a great JA game.

But I'm doubtful after all that came after JA2, but I guess we'll see

If they can make a better game then the Coreplay versions I'll be happy. I say that as I'm not a hardcore fan, and the fact it's THQ Nordic who is known for mediocre games.

Back
Top Bottom