Kickstarter Announces Blockchain Future

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well add Kickstarter to the all NFT Blockchain Future.:(

Let’s Build What’s Next for Crowdfunding Creative Projects

Link - https://www.kickstarter.com/article...-the-future-of-crowdfunding-creative-projects
You may have heard of HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) which helps you browse the web, or SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) which helps you send email. Protocols like these make up the unseen infrastructure of the internet. Imagine that, but for crowdfunding creative projects.

The protocol will live on Celo, a carbon-negative, public blockchain, be open source, and be available for collaborators, competitors, and independent contributors from all over the world to build upon, connect to, or use.

This openness enables everyone who is interested in the promise of crowdfunding to help build its future and have a say and stake in how it works. Blockchain will also open the potential to be rewarded for contributing to the systems that you use everyday.
Kickstarter Announces Blockchain Future, Users Say 'No Thank You'

Link - https://kotaku.com/kickstarter-announces-blockchain-future-doubles-down-a-1848231993
In a blog post rather optimistically titled, “Let’s Build What’s Next for Crowdfunding Creative Projects,” Kickstarter leans on the same “this makes everything easier and more open!” argument that blockchain/crypto/NFT stuff always does. But, as ever, without being able to actually explain why that is, or how it improves on the existing experience. (Largely because they can’t, since it doesn’t.)

Reaction has been swift and negative. The platform has long been on thin ice with many backers and creators, especially since its anti-union efforts from 2019-20. This intention to pivot to the blockchain has been seen by many as the final straw, and resulted in a week of protest and complaints, to the point where Kickstarter felt compelled today to issue a response. If you were thinking it would come in the form of an apology or a consideration of people’s feedback, well, lol.
Tabletop creators wrestle with the cost of departing Kickstarter

Link - https://www.dicebreaker.com/compani...ockchain-crypto-reaction-designers-publishers
Among those who most vehemently opposed last week’s announcement were independent tabletop creators who rely on the platform’s ability to finance projects through the support of hundreds of backers. With the success and popularity of tabletop projects growing year after year on Kickstarter - vastly outperforming the likes of video games along the way - the decision to embrace the divisive technology behind crypocurrencies such as Bitcoin and NFTs - non-fungible tokens, notable for their presence in the art community - was received with no shortage of outrage.

Pretty impressive, indeed. Why blockchain would even be necessary in that scenario (and why the scenario in the first place)?

I'm afraid I won't give much more news from KS from now on, I have my principles. The same goes for publishers who push it too far, for instance with NFT.

Yeah, really weird direction. Why would you want crowdfunding to be hosted in a decentralized manner. If I understand correctly what they're pitching. Is there currently a lot of crowdfunding campaigns that are being targeted and taken down?

The sudden explosion in blockchain and nfts use-cases make me think that either I'm just not getting it, or there's a lot of decision people in high positions that are also not getting it. Or they're getting it, but just want to jump on the hype band-wagon even though it likely isn't going anywhere productive.

Come to think of it, I did recently hear reports of huge corporations notifying their .NET platform/library providers to make sure to update their Log4j libraries to avoid the recent exploits. So, you never know … :wideeyed:

I should imagine the plan is to turn themselves into a DAO, with a new cryptocurrency that will also effectively act as their share value. They'll be planning to cash in on that, one way or another.

You'd need to look carefully at the "smart contract" that's coded into the coin. I would guess that they'll be "decentralising", while taking a cut on every transaction.

Well, I guess it'd also help in removing fees, and making refunds much harder.

Removing the fees might be a benefit, and also it makes it easier to fund from different countries / and or anonymously. Besides a lot of people have a crap-load of cryptocurrency which they don't know what to do with it.... so according to me the idea is not all bad.

Of course like others mentioned they might have some agenda behind this.

Yeah, there are scenarios where it makes some sense - like people forming ad-hoc investment groups, with the terms programed into the coin.

But I'm wary of these larger firms that appear to be over-excitedly jumping on the bandwagon. I can almost hear the tosh being talked in the boardrooms - I'm sure they've convinced themselves that a scheme for a fast buck is actually a wonderfully progressive development for the world. :p

Back
Top Bottom