Kingmaker - Steam Page Up

Fatigue and Movement - I don't mind balancing strength and not carrying tons of loot but at the moment BETA is seems bugged when it comes to weight limits and movement. At one point, even with rest, I ended up literally dropping all armor on my characters just so I could move again without being at a crawl (and the default movement rate is way too slow .. painfully so). I just kept weapons, potions, and a few magic armor items I had collected. I like weight and inventory management but its unreasonable in this game because you can carry so little before you are slowed. Since you travel a lot you are always getting fatigued which then lowers your strength .. which then slows you down. Its a viscous circle at times. I suspect this will be tweaked though.

There is an option to turn off party movement encumbrance - that will speed up your movement rate.

Depth - There is a lot to do but at the same time it seems to lack some depth to interactions and characters and events. Hard to explain this one though. Could be related to the artwork or perhaps I am too used to different style. I felt things were too quickly resolved and lacking in lore/depth on some of the quests. Overall it is nice but I was hoping for a little more umpf.

I dont know how far you are into Chap2 but I found story/quests amazing - has interesting twists and involves using logics a lot.

I agree that chracters lack depth in beta. I presume lots of elements weren't included in beta, there were no new dislogue options with companions in chap 2 :(

Artwork - I do like the graphics but at the same time its a bit on the "young and pretty" side of animation for me. Mixed feelings with the almost cute cartoon like feeling. Sometimes I like it and other times not. Not a game breaker though by any means. You get used to it. But I prefer, for example, the style of POE2.

The graphics are a big turn off personally. It looks like a PS2 game.

ss_df5f087491f5ed4672b776e5abd7511ce55f96bb.1920x1080.jpg

There is an option to turn off party movement encumbrance - that will speed up your movement rate.

I may simply have a bugged save then as I do have that flagged (checked) and today I was constantly getting the fatigue/movement issue. I had to camp pretty much after every movement and even then was dropping things like crazy. I think there are some bugs with the system still or could just be the save and patches.

Regardless I hope it works better for live. It is a nice system but I feel a bit too punishing right now.

As for the depth - I am having a lot of trouble putting to words what my feelings are about the depth when playing. So hard to give specifics until I can work out the proper vocabulary and maybe some comparisons. The only example I have right now would require spoiling.

Although you should know the Temple of the Elk battle. I thought it was a bit of a let down - I expected a little more. More involved? Longer? Likewise for the Staglord.

Minor issues though and I realize they are not the core part of the game but just part of the overall game.

Still I am hoping there is a little more to the companions. At least I did see some new dialogue from some of them in part 2 in regards to the leadership positions.

I heard if you imported save from beta1 it tends to be more buggy. But there is no doubt beta is plagued with bugs, and emcumbrance is annoying and fiddly.

Yeah, I can't provide example of good quests without spoiling story further down the track. But the temple will have a different use later on in chap 2 :) and I have a feeling there may be more to Staglord later(speculation) just like there is more to the main antagonist in chap 1 (fact, you will see the little annoying fellow again later on).

Have to cut it short - on the way to work, posting using the phone.

Edit: I remember now. I think you have stacked item bug.

Last edited:
I liked the way PS2 games looked! They typically had good art direction to make up for low texture detail.

Kingmaker also has good art direction with clean lines and good contrasts. Everything stands out clearly which is important for an isometric game and especially so in combat.

I am looking forward to getting stuck into character creation and gameplay systems. I wish I could of said that more often during the crowdfunding heyday.

What art direction? There's hardly any creativity or inspiration in the graphics. I haven't seen one screenshot of the game that doesn't look bland and generic.

What art direction? There's hardly any creativity or inspiration in the graphics. I haven't seen one screenshot of the game that doesn't look bland and generic.

There is this thing called individual taste/preference and it's about time you learn that everyone has a different one :) and whatever is in your head isn't always a truth/fact.

There is this thing called individual taste/preference and it's about time you learn that everyone has a different one :) and whatever is in your head isn't always a truth/fact.

giphy.gif

I'm just stating my individual taste/ preference. Not trying to judge yours.

The game looks ugly and artistically bland from my perspective. I'm entitled to it.

Does anyone truly believe the visuals hold up to other recent major CRPGs?

gkpCTzBxxurrHzZAcTgXCc.jpg

PillarsofEternity2%207.jpg

1200px-Sentinel_Stand_Outer_Walls.jpg

429d8e99-1a91-4c0f-9ffd-3e85a08014c9_strand_greathall.png

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20mod%20support%201.png

ss_9ceff2ce232d0b6b765545bd0e96ebf9992e299d.1920x1080_8.jpg

spellforce-3.jpg

ss_f614348e8e62c41db78e6226d4ed08aa81cac4c7.1920x1080.1000x562.jpg

Or even these cheaper and less well known CRPGs?

4.jpg

DZdpZE6XUAYUgW4.jpg

Last edited:
It is still not PS2 level graphics as you said earlier. Some of those images look better, some on par and some are worse.

Kingmaker certainly has a decent enough graphics in my eyes and doesn't warrant an unhealthy obsession like yours.

Some of those images look better, some on par and some are worse.

Which images do you think look worse? They all look better and more creative to me.

Kingmaker certainly has a decent enough graphics in my eyes

That wasn't the question. Do you think they reach the standard of quality that other CRPGs have set in recent years?

What exactly is the comparison? I only see a wild collection of pictures. With different contents, completely different zoom, different whatever... I mean, some of those do not even convey the look you get during gameplay.

If you press it however: some look worse than the few screenshots of Kingmager shared here. Others look better. Not really very conclusive to me.

The art in Pathfinder looks quite good actually. I personally prefer a grittier look to the softer color palette they used, but I have no problem with the characters, monsters, etc, that I've seen so far. Everything appears to be well drawn.

Everyone of those pictures (and games) has more distinctive visuals that stand out and catch your eye, in my opinion.

This game seems to have no art direction. Everything looks generic and bland. Nothing pops out or looks interesting. It's all vanilla and boring. Pathfinder the tabletop game actually has a very distinctive artstyle which they completely failed to replicate. It's sad.

If you press it however: some look worse than the few screenshots of Kingmager shared here. Others look better. Not really very conclusive to me.

I'm curious which ones you feel look worse?

Back
Top Bottom