KotOR on Switch (Aspyr) Review @ RPG Fan

Redglyph

SasqWatch
I'm not a console owner, but here's what seems to be a good job of a port, so if you have a Switch at home, this could be worth reading. :)

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic initially released in 2003. Now, almost twenty years later, the classic sci-fi RPG has made its way to the Nintendo Switch. Is the Force still strong with this port, or has that sensitivity vanished with the passage of time? Let me preface this review by saying that this is the first time I’ve ever played Knights of the Old Republic. I’m not blinded by fond nostalgia when I state that I’m pleasantly surprised with just how well Aspyr’s port of the game holds up amongst the Switch’s current RPG lineup, though not without some caveats.

[..]

Pros
Engrossing Star Wars story with an amazing reveal, likable party members, solid overall gameplay, excellent sweeping musical score.

Cons
There’s no denying that the game is dated with the graphics in particular showing their age, UI for fights can be unwieldy, subtitles can be tricky to follow when making decisions.

Bottom Line
Even at almost twenty years old, the classic Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is an excellent RPG port for the Switch.

Overall Score

I'll probably buy it but you have to wonder how long they can keep milking this game. I know their remaking also, but seriously why isn't there more SP StarWar RPGs?

I'll probably buy it but you have to wonder how long they can keep milking this game. I know their remaking also, but seriously why isn't there more SP StarWar RPGs?

Ah, but remakes and remasters are the new new ;)

EDIT: there's the new SW: Eclipse, of which we know absolutely nothing. But that's a start :lol:

Ah, but remakes and remasters are the new new ;)
Yeah just like Hollywood I guess its the safest route nowadays to make easy money off old ip's. Though given s few recent remasters if doesn't always work out.

I'm looking at you Rockstar.:wideeyed:

EDIT: there's the new SW: Eclipse, of which we know absolutely nothing. But that's a start :lol:
Yep I shared the news on my thread but its not an RPG. Looks more like an action game that will probably incorporate RPG elements at best. So no it's not really a start at all.

Also given the developer it has a high chance to be a cinematic novel.:(

I know at best all we have had is the KoToR MMO which is already ten years old at this point. If you can ignore all the PVP crap it's a very good SP online StarWars RPG.

I still prefer if it was offline though.

I know at best all we have had is the KoToR MMO which is already ten years old at this point. If you can ignore all the PVP crap it's a very good SP online StarWars RPG.

I still prefer if it was offline though.

I'd rather not, what they usually put in MMOs to keep people coming back isn't what I'm looking for in SP games. And I suppose it's based on a subscription.

Perhaps Jedi: Fallen Order is a little bit an RPG? I haven't played it, to me it looks like an action game, but Steam has tagged it as RPG (and it's -63% now, wow).

If you're not specifically looking for Star Wars, there's Starfield to look forward to, and it won't be a small game. :)

PC Gamer said it's an action adventure game with multiple characters - but we still know essentially nothing about the game. It's still in early development so, honestly, we don't really need to know anything about it, either.

Back to Knights - I'm surprised the game even got a 75 on graphics. That's a really old game!

18 years later and KotOR is still being overrated.

PC Gamer said it's an action adventure game with multiple characters - but we still know essentially nothing about the game. It's still in early development so, honestly, we don't really need to know anything about it, either.

I'm more interested in Jedi: Fallen Order 2, but hopefully Eclipse is on the same level.

Perhaps Jedi: Fallen Order is a little bit an RPG? I haven't played it, to me it looks like an action game, but Steam has tagged it as RPG (and it's -63% now, wow).

I liked it a lot. It's more action-adventure than RPG imo, but I don't think that's really relevant. I thought it did a great job of capturing the Star Wars vibe, and some of the set pieces are great. It also has a nice balance between combat, exploration, and puzzle solving.

I'd rather not, what they usually put in MMOs to keep people coming back isn't what I'm looking for in SP games. And I suppose it's based on a subscription.

If you're not specifically looking for Star Wars, there's Starfield to look forward to, and it won't be a small game. :)
Surprisingly you don't have to sub as it's F2P now, and is focused on single-player story missions. You can of course sub to get more benefits and expansions if you want to.

Probably one of the best StarWars RPGs I ever played.

There still is no non-action adventure game out there …
I believe it now that people just did an equation of "Star Wars = Action" ( and the last 3 movies greatly show that ! ) and thus did only produce action games according to that.
According to that, KOTOR is merely a fluke.

There still is no non-action adventure game out there …
Huh? I'm not sure what you mean by 'out there.' Do you mean recently? Because there's plenty of other types out there - they're just old.

I was referring to the Star Wars setting. And for that, there have been NONE.

First details for Quantic Dream's Star Wars Eclipse reportedly leaked - DSO
Here are all the details that AccNGT leaked.

• It is an action-adventure game
  • It will feature interactive story-telling
  • Inspired by The Last of Us
  • It will be open world
  • Additionally, it will feature some multiplayer (competitive)
  • It is being described as an ambitious and original project
  • The action gameplay is described as being traditional
  • The story will be non-linear
  • It will feature more playable characters than any other Quantic Dreams game
  • The development started more than a year and a half ago
  • They are using their in-house engine for it
  • Developed by Quantic Dream Montreal and Paris
Some details are now known but the info not's official.:biggrin:

First details for Quantic Dream's Star Wars Eclipse reportedly leaked - DSO
Some details are now known but the info not's official.:biggrin:

Yes, I saw that on several sites, but they're very vague and generic features, like saying "Madam, I've got good news, your baby has 2 legs, 2 arms and a head". ;)

Hmm, but will that be an RPG? :thinking:

PS: love that one: "The action gameplay is described as being traditional"

I have been quite happy with the Switch version of KotOR 1 when I picked it up. It plays as it should and I never encountered any real technical hiccups, or any issues that were related to the porting. I was also quite happy to see they included Yavin the port. My only gripe is the storage because my gosh, it takes up WAy more than it should. But overall, it's nice being able to play my 2nd favorite RPG on the go now :D

Yes, I saw that on several sites, but they're very vague and generic features, like saying "Madam, I've got good news, your baby has 2 legs, 2 arms and a head". ;)

Hmm, but will that be an RPG? :thinking:

PS: love that one: "The action gameplay is described as being traditional"

Hmm, I've played a number of Quantic Dreams and all the more recent ones had gameplay that was basically an interactive cutscene. The action was handled through Quick Time Events.

The only exception was Omikron which was more of a blending of different genres. There were first person shooter segments and one on one fighting game match seqments.

They're never done what I would think of as a traditional action / adventure game. I'm expecting QTEs as that's how they have traditionally handled action gameplay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom