Last game(s) you bought

User-reviews are mixed so far. Apparently it requires the Epic launcher even for the Steam version? I don't think I've seen that before.
I tried Dead Island 2 for a little while, and it's fine. I didn't have any issues with the Epic service integration.
I'm not actually sure you even need to be authenticated towards Epic (they do push for you to link your epic account which I did not).
I think it's just that the game uses Epic services for whatever backend services the game needs to call home for.
There's some co-op match making I believe, where they also integrate with console players. So it's probably just that they used epic's backend services for that. I don't know for sure.

Regardless, I ended up refunding this game as well. It's ok, it's a decent zombie game, but I suddenly found out I'm really not in the mood for such a game. Although the premise does seem hilarious.

Axiom Verge 2

I rarely get into retro games, but I enjoyed what I played of the first game enough to grab this during the current sale. Axiom Verge was heavily inspired by the original Metroid which I loved as a kid, so the nostalgia feels are strong.

I finally picked up Troubleshooter with the story dlc. I've been wanting it since it came out but I always had the feeling I'd see it in a Humble Bundle. I got tired of waiting! I think I'll actually play it next year.

I recently bought and played Felvidek, and god, what an amazing game. It's pretty short (around 5 hours), but SO full of charisma. I loved every aspect of the aesthetics and story, and the gameplay is decent. It's quite cheap on Steam, and I think that more people should give it a try. A friend of mine recently bought it and they couldn't stop talking about it, so I decided to try it too, and it did not disappoint.

I would NOT recommend it to anyone who dislike the game's visuals, though. The style is one of the main selling points.

While in Berlin, I remembered a shop with "old games". Actually, 15 years ago, there were several of them, but there are seemingly all gone.
One of them i remembered just outside of Berlin in Oranienburg. It was still there
There, to my sheer amazement, i found a Windows 3-.1 version of Sierra's Outpost, and a MS-DOS version of Sierra's Police Quest 1.
In a different shop in Berlin-Wedding, I found a CD of Microprose's Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Still sealed. And, since imho games are meant/made for playing, I unsealed it half an hour ago, for taking photographs of it.
I figured that I might be one of relatively few to get these games started these days, so I bought them.
I hope that the disks can still be read.

Attachments

• Outpost Police Quest 1_front_small.jpg
    Outpost Police Quest 1_front_small.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Outpost Police Quest_small_back.jpg
    Outpost Police Quest_small_back.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Outpost Police Quest_small_VGA.JPG
    Outpost Police Quest_small_VGA.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Transport Tycoon Deluxe_Back_small.jpg
    Transport Tycoon Deluxe_Back_small.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Transport Tycoon Deluxe_Front_small_.jpg
    Transport Tycoon Deluxe_Front_small_.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 0
I went on a little Indie RPG spending spree yesterday.

Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon sucked me in immediately. I had a good feeling about this one based on my experience with their card-based game from a few years ago. This has the same great atmosphere, but is a full on 3D RPG. There's a bit of jank (ragdoll physics are goofy, for example), but it actually looks and plays great for the most part, and I love the writing, voice acting and setting. This one will be tough to wait for (it's in EA)

I also got Dread Delusion, which is not technically in EA, but it's also still not finished, so it is in all but name. It didn't grab me as fully, but it's interesting for sure. The weirdness, the low poly count and the vivid colors combine to make you ask "what is THAT" a lot as you traverse the landscape. Edit: I thought the main quest wasn't finished yet, but it appears that I was wrong.

I also picked up The Thaumaturge. I haven't started it yet, but since it's a finished game, it's probably the one I'll actually fully play first. I just wanted to try out the other two.

Last edited:
I picked up King Arthur: Knights Tale. It's dirt cheap right now at GamersGate (Steam key).
Hmmm ... had ignored this because it was unsupported on Steam Deck - but apparently with forced Proton compatibility to a specific version it works great. Decisions, decisions ... :D

Well, been bored and finally purchased Elden Ring. First impression is that these keyboard controls are awful, but I'm trying to persevere.

Well, been bored and finally purchased Elden Ring. First impression is that these keyboard controls are awful, but I'm trying to persevere.
My first impression was how early we die in that game. ;)

What's missing is a direct shortcut to items rather than the stupid cycling feature they have to use on console. For the rest, I remapped a part of the controls after a few hours, once I had a better idea of the game, and it was fine. You'll get used to it very quickly.

Did you not play the Dark Souls games? They should be virtually the same controls.
They take some getting used to, but once you learn them they're decent. Not having the key-mappings displayed in the UI is a pain (I can't remember if this was also in Elden Ring, or if they fixed it there; otherwise you're seeing xbox controller mappings)

(I can't remember if this was also in Elden Ring, or if they fixed it there; otherwise you're seeing xbox controller mappings)
Thankfully, it's displayed correctly in Elden Ring and (I think) in DS1 remastered. :)

They're quite similar, except for some hidden controls like the backflip. I think most of the other hidden controls are the same, too (jumped attack, etc).

Did you not play the Dark Souls games?

Nope. Usually not a fan of combat-centric console games, Souls included, but I decided to take a chance on Elden Ring for its exploration and open world aspect. After several days of trying, I don't think it's for me. I just find myself asking why I'm bothering after every death - and the only reason I keep coming up with is the regret over $50 spent.

Even though the new class in Diablo 4 isn't exactly what I wanted (was hoping for a paladin), it seems it might have some possible decent builds for melee. It seems to be somewhat similarly themed like the Witch-Doctor in D3, but it seems to at least have the possibility of also being viable in melee. We'll see in July, for the class reveal.

Back
Top Bottom