Last game you finished, tell us about it

It's a hell of a noisy world too, it feel exciting and vibrant but I hate it at the same time; after a while I feel the need for some quiet and it's hard to get, even pausing the game gives an unnerving buzzing sound, ugh.
I felt much the same. Every time I load up the game again after several months I'm impresssed all over again by the world they created, specfically the city. There's never been an environment like it in any other game. It's beautiful, enormous, alive. But I get tired of it. I found myself enjoying the quiet and wide open spaces of the outskirts quite a bit. It was a larger area with more to do in it than I had at first assumed when the game was in development, and it provided a nice balance to the bombast and sensory overload of Night City proper.

I found myself enjoying the quiet and wide open spaces of the outskirts quite a bit. It was a larger area with more to do in it than I had at first assumed when the game was in development, and it provided a nice balance to the bombast and sensory overload of Night City proper.
Maybe I should have spent more time there, I thought there wasn't much to do except the missions related to Panam. Good to know. :)

Maybe I should have spent more time there, I thought there wasn't much to do except the missions related to Panam. Good to know. :)
Oh yeah, several gigs, several other points of interest, both marked and umarked. At least one other actual quest I can think of. Definitely plenty to make running around there worth it.

I'm probably the last to have played it
I don't plan on starting this before the expansion is out, so I'm looking at 2024 or '25.

Recently finished The Surge. After several attempted starts I finally got into it properly, and thought I'd better knock it off before I got too obsessed with Elden Ring.

I think it's seriously underrated. I really liked it - more so than Dark Souls 1 and 2 (blasphemer! boo hiss!). It had a story I thought was interesting, and had some cool ideas. I liked targeting certain parts of the enemy in the hope of lopping it off and using it's blueprint to manufacture your own version of their armour.
Of the two adventure DLCs, the "Walk in the Park" one, about an amusement park where things have gone haywire, was pretty good. The Western themed one, not so much, mainly because it was more of a "complete each challenge environment" kinda deal, so I didn't get far into it.

I bought the DLCs for The Surge 2 recently, but not sure when I'll get to it. Elden Ring might occupy me for a while...

I don't plan on starting this before the expansion is out, so I'm looking at 2024 or '25.
Sorry for the double-reply but I forgot.

Make sure not to buy this on GOG, at least if you're using Galaxy. It's a nightmare to install and there are problems with their "cloud synchronization" as usual (even though I disabled the feature). Maybe it's not as bad with the file-based installation, if you don't mind late or missing patches.

I finished Leisure Suit Larry 6 (?) - Love for sail. I played it in my early twens and I remember that I enjoyed it quite a bit back then. Therefore I thought that it would be a nice nostalgic trip down memory lane. But man, this one has aged pretty badly. The humour is extremely juvenile and cringeworthy. Larry wasn't likable in any form - other then I remembered, especially from the first part. And of course, the whole thing is extremely sexist:
Larry somehow wins a ticket for a cruise where he instantly falls in love with the captain - a blonde named "Captain Thygh". Luckily for him, she is kind of a nymphoniac, who offers herself as a prize for the winner of five games. Of course, Larry is only able to win those games by shamelessly cheating. And then there are side-characters like Jamie Lee Coitus and Dewmi Moore...

Agreed! I replayed the Leisure Suit Larry games a few years back and didn't experience anywhere near the original joy that I recall when first playing them back in the day. Times change, people change, and I don't expect to ever replay any of them again.

Last night I finally finished Trails in the Sky: Cold Steel four!

Off the bat, I'd have to say this is my favorite game of the series to date. It's so inclusive, you can basically use almost anyone at any given time in the game (once they've all been unlocked and such). There are, of course, times where you have to use a certain person or two yet, other than those occasions, you can work with the four that suit you best. All the old friends, enemies, and what-nots are back, plenty of named battles as well as robot slugfests!

I can tell you off the bat why it took me almost three months to get through this game: the exploration factor is off the charts. You have to revisit areas, exchange dialogue often with potential party members and such to discover new quests/leads, as well as roaming the maps to discover physical items. The game never felt like work to me, it was a complete joy to play every time I had the opportunity, and I know that I already look forward to when I'll get to replay this game. That will likely happen whenever I replay the entire series.

I'm not going to spoil anything here, if you've played the other Trails in the Sky games and liked them, you'll enjoy this one. Treat yourself to a fabulous time!

And earlier today I finished the base version of the Outer Worlds, which I feel like I whipped through rather quickly when compared to how long it took me to complete Cold Steel four. Overall, while I enjoyed the story/arc of the game, the action was a bit much for me and for now I'm putting the game on pause. I see that I've additional content to explore so at some point I'll likely return and knock those segments out.

I did like the blend of how this was a semi-Fallout/Space/Detective game. The story was compelling, characters fairly interesting and kept me involved during the entire adventure.

West of Loathing (2017) + DLC Reckonin' at Gun Manor (2019)

The catchphrase "And now for something completely different" would be a good way to introduce this thoroughly excellent RPG.

I'm a big fan of humour and this game has it in spades, and not just the odd dad joke or reference, it's every single inch of it, every single action is played for the laughs. It's The Naked Gun of RPGs. All kinds of jokes imaginable and they come so thick and fast that if you don't get one, you'll get the next 10 in the next 10 minutes so you don't even notice the gags you miss.

maxresdefault.jpg

The game is a fully open world adventure into the old west where you explore small regions of interest via a world map with a single character stick figure. At the start of the game you will be awarded the Silly Walks perk, and I strongly recommend turning it on and using it for the whole game.

You can also select a companion to come with you if you wish. The combat is turn-based and is based around traditional RPG mechanics where your primary stats, armour, speed and HP determine your combat strength and certain abilities. At the start you can choose between 3 main archetypes, muscle, mage, dexterity, though the game refers to them as muscle, mysticality, moxie. There are also many, many other skills and traits to collect along the way, many of which open up a whole host of hilarious non-combat ways to circumvent combat or resolve quests.

west_of_loathing_1.jpg

The exploration is top-drawer and the music is perfectly addictive. The loot is never boring and there's no weight limit, and the loot is extremely plentiful without ever becoming a chore.

It's as much an adventure game as it is RPG, as it's one of those games that likes to provide puzzles, from the very easy to the obscurely mind-bending, all along the way, so you will always have a good reason to revisit locations when necessary and there will be visible changes to those locations.

I finished the game in 22 hours but it allows you to play on and do some loose ends if you want to before watching the end credits (complete with your adventure related story conclusions), and I added another 6 hours this way. And I didn't complete everything as there was still loads of new stuff left for future play throughs, including lots of elements that are excluded due to class chosen and elements that are excluded because of choices made in individual scenarios.

West-of-Loathing-inventory-768x432.jpg

The combat is mostly easy and it's very easy to get overpowered but at the same time complacency will still result in the odd death here and there. However, even death is it's own thing in this game and adding a death or two to your adventure can actually increase your power level, so don't ever rush to Alt F4. There's no saving anyway, it's one of those exit-to-save and then continue games, which doesn't work for most RPGs, but works just fine here.

I'd rate it as a 9/10, one of those very rare computer games that achieves near perfection due to it's perfectly arranged atmosphere and overall cohesiveness.

So why not 10/10? Good question and one I can't answer with words, but it just feels like there's a small, tiny piece of the perfect puzzle missing, perhaps it needed more 'big' combat encounters? Perhaps it needed a few more 'interesting' combat encounters. Perhaps it needed more opportunities to hire more companions? Perhaps it needed slightly more companion interaction and side quests? Who can say, it was all lovely, near perfect, the near being a bit of Je ne sais quoi.

Anyway, if you were one of those people moaning about a lack of good RPGs in the last year or two and this game is still in your backlog for some reason (like it was for me) then... get on it! It really does live up to the humour hype.

Just finished Pathfinder WotR.

I can’t believe how long I’ve been playing this game on the first play through. It’s sort of insane when I think about it. This is an incredible game. Has everything I love about the modern PC-based RPG genre. Great tactical combat, fun classes and build options, great story and content, great main quest line with tons of options / choices. I thought the game played pretty similar to Kingmaker, with a better storyline and NPCs and characters. And all the mythic stuff obviously was totally new. I played turn based on the hard level. I think Owlcat is leading the RPG pack right now with their work.

A few suggestions to anyone who hasn’t played based on my personal experience.

First off, I would strongly recommend playing on normal difficulty on your first play through. I do enjoy being tactical in my combat encounters and having to think thru how to beat things versus just going real time and letting my squad hack and blast thru everything. But this game is so freaking long. It took me a thousand years to finish. And frankly the combat tactics after a while got a little repetitive. And because I’ve been playing the first play through for half my adult life, I really am not super excited right now to play another play through, which is a shame because there is a ton of content in here that I haven’t seen and may never see, or at least not for a while. So if I would have played on lower setting, I would have finished way faster, and I probably would have already played other round with a different class, different go-to companions, and different mythic paths.

In general, although I do appreciate Owlcat jamming like 5 years of game play into a $50 package (I mean seriously, the entertainment value in here is crazy large for 50 bucks or whatever it is selling for right now), I would almost have preferred a tighter package, where you can get thru the main campaign a little faster, and leave some meat on the bone for multiple play thrus. A game that did this well IMHO was Tyranny. Maybe not that short, but something more like that where large sections of the content would be mythic path specific, so when you go back to play a different mythic, you get a very different experience.

I can’t be too hard on Owlcat for making such a huge game, but if I were creative director, I would have gone for a “less in more direction” and broken out larger chunks of the story for different mythics. Like several of the NPCs exclusive to some of the mythics, or whole zones you only play if you are certain mythic.

But overall awesome game. Two thumbs up. Go play it if you haven’t. Can’t wait for Rogue Trader.

One little side note. Save yourself the misery and skip the Nenio side quest. Oh my lord that was a painful slog.

Solasta : Crown of the Magister
I have been playing Div OS2 with a friend and was wanting a game with TB combat that I could pick up and play easily. I had played through the first act of Solasta and never picked it up again. It's mostly a set-piece combat game rather than a fully-fledged RPG in my mind, but that doesn't matter too much. It's a fun game for what it is and I did enjoy playing through it.

If you're a DnD fan it's certainly worth picking up, otherwise, I think it's a relatively good TB combat game if you are into these games.
I might get the Lost Valley DLC if it becomes very cheap as apparently that's a much better campaign, but I've not bitten yet, because I don't think I'd be in the mood right now.

Also, they've locked a lot of classes behind other DLC which I'd like to try out if I played a new campaign, so I am not a fan of that.

In general, although I do appreciate Owlcat jamming like 5 years of game play into a $50 package (I mean seriously, the entertainment value in here is crazy large for 50 bucks or whatever it is selling for right now), I would almost have preferred a tighter package, where you can get thru the main campaign a little faster, and leave some meat on the bone for multiple play thrus. A game that did this well IMHO was Tyranny. Maybe not that short, but something more like that where large sections of the content would be mythic path specific, so when you go back to play a different mythic, you get a very different experience.

I can’t be too hard on Owlcat for making such a huge game, but if I were creative director, I would have gone for a “less in more direction” and broken out larger chunks of the story for different mythics. Like several of the NPCs exclusive to some of the mythics, or whole zones you only play if you are certain mythic.
I for one actually appreciate the length of the game - I play on normal (or daring) using RTwP and it took me roughly around 120 hours to finish WotR - which is just perfect for me.
But overall awesome game. Two thumbs up. Go play it if you haven’t. Can’t wait for Rogue Trader.
IIRC, Owlcats said Rogue Trader will be just as long as their previous games (altho, I don't have a source, it was on discord but I don't recall exactly when it was discussed).

I played alpha and have to admit, wish the game is a bit shorter - it just takes sooooo long because both ground and space combat is TB only. I rage quit over space combat so didn't end up finishing alpha but from what I've seen, most of people finished it around 50-60 hours mark - and that's just one chapter.
One little side note. Save yourself the misery and skip the Nenio side quest. Oh my lord that was a painful slog.
While I disliked Engima a lot too, I struggle through it every playthrough because it is required to unlock the best ending for Storyteller :p

Guardians of the Galaxy. Oh, what an unexpected treat this was! I am generally not into Marvel stuff, although I admit that those movies tend to have good stories, and I do love especially the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Hence, this game has been on my radar and when I spotted it on Game Pass, I decided to try it. I am happy that I did - a great game!

The gameplay itself is not that special. The game is a linear tunnel walk ala old Bioware games (KOTOR, Mass Effects, and such). There are some choices and consequences but I would mostly categorize this game as an interactive movie. The graphics are great, the worlds beautifully grafted and varying consisting of typical sci-fa cliches. The game looks, overall, impressive. You go around with the team; and the gameplay switches from a combat scene to an easy puzzle, to some exploration trying to find ingredients to level up the main character, to a parkour scene with jumping and sliding, and back to fighting. This variation goes on throughout the game. The combat is fast-paced and team-effort focussed with each member having special moves. You command the companions trying to stack up and chain moves to efficiently annihilate the enemies. I generally dislike shooters that are not centered around cover mechanics, especially ones where enemies are bullet sponges. In this one, bullet sponges fit the setting, and there is no need to take cover. Instead, you run back and forth trying to dodge enemies while shooting and commanding the companions. One boss fight can last for over ten minutes. The combat is generally much worse than in Mass Effects. After a while, I flicked the difficulty to easy. Coming from Elden Ring, I was used to difficult and long fights, but I did not feel like listening to the same banter and doing the same stupid combat moves again while franticly pressing buttons on the controller. So no, the combat is not the reason to play this game.

The reason why I enjoyed this game as much as I did was the writing. The companions are among the best-written characters in any game I have played recently (better than in Mass Effects). They all felt different personalities, and they talk non-stop. I enjoyed the banter very much. It was brilliantly written and voice-acted with continuous humor and twisted puns. I was laughing out loud often while listening to the jokes. The humor in the game was generally great, and some of the puns were so good that I am still smiling when thinking about them. To avoid spoilers, it suffices to say that the best puns involved animals. So if you are an animal lover and appreciate twisted humor, you should check this game out. The puns come out of the blue and are served skillfully. The game is almost worth playing only for those few extra-good moments.

Regardless, I enjoyed the game from the beginning until the end. The story was good with surprising twists all the time (don't try to find logic in it, though). The game has movie-level writing and story, which is rare in video games, and it lasts much longer than a movie (I finished it in a bit over 20 hours). Recommended if you liked the movies, feel like engaging in a good sci-fa story while waiting for Starfield, or like twisted humor or/and animals. I'd not pay full price for this game, but on Game Pass this was a good deal.

Last edited:
A few days ago I completed Rise of the Third Power, and what a magnificent game this is! Lots to explore, a well rounded group to put to the challenge and see which group serves you best, not to mention a system that keeps those on the bench leveled with the rest as well as a device to make sure that no one resides on the bench for too long. The story, however, is where this game truly shines, it's compelling, and had me thinking about the game even when not playing.

The game does finish with a perfect setup for a sequel, and should that indeed happen, I'll be there to play. I really cannot applaud the crafters of this game enough, at the beginning I wasn't sure about most of the systems used, yet from about the third hour in to the finish I was completely hooked. Should the genre appeal, you'll certainly get every penny back in entertainment for what you spend on this great game.

Not me @joxer Steam review for Hogwarts
Not a perfect game.

Clunky menus (thanks to retarded consoles), too much of grinding, some annoyances that luckily don't affect the overall game (no need to solve all merlin puzzles and one is bugged on my side), the main story unlocks good stuff instead of passing all that to side quests.

And what's with CTRL instead of doubletap? Okay I kinda nitpick now because at least these dev know that M is map, I inventory and J journal unlike some amateurs that map IJKL to emulate console mushrooms. And yet TAB+3 for the broom is kinda retarded.
Inventory tetris could have been a tadbit better, especially randomized loot (savescum possibility), but all in all I did not have a problem with trading and buying anything I wanted.
The ping on detected bookpage should have been also visual for hearing impaired players.

On the totally positive side the world and stories are awsome and full of interesting puzzles and secrets.
Combat on PC against trashmobs is easy, but bosses are not easy which is a big plus.
I don't know if choices during dialogs matter, but I have seen a few times NPCs mention what you solved - in sidequests! This is absolutely awsome, I generally love sidecontent and this game has plenty of it in different varieties.

Finally there is a performance problem if you keep consoley crap enabled (motion blur, film grain, etc). This will probably be fixed in upcoming patches.

So, should you buy this?
Absolutely! While not a masterpiece, the game is so much fun, beats any aggresively advertised mainstream trash when it comes to having fun.
He doesn't think that is detailed enough for the Watch, but also isn't ready for a return here yet. He is playing LAD:Ishin now and had this to say:
Ishin is an absolute gem of a game. It's prepoterous that this grinder covered in a thriller story is so much fun!

Back
Top Bottom