Last game you finished, tell us about it

Granted that I didn't play all that far, but I found the dialogue to be the opposite of gritty. 90% of the dialogue I read in ~6 hours was goofy. Usually intentionally so.

That's my feeling too, I'm fine with it but I wish they didn't make it so constant in most of the dialogues.

For example, after each answer from an NPC you need to say whether you'd like to leave or to ask something else - which isn't necessary, they could just display the remaining questions. Those two options are often said with some bad/goofy humour. Part of the style, but a little heavy IMO. :)

Maybe @vanedor; meant the general situation was described as gritty, being post-apocalyptic, everyone trying to survive as they can, etc?

That's my feeling too, I'm fine with it but I wish they didn't make it so constant in most of the dialogues.

For example, after each answer from an NPC you need to say whether you'd like to leave or to ask something else - which isn't necessary, they could just display the remaining questions. Those two options are often said with some bad/goofy humour. Part of the style, but a little heavy IMO. :)

Maybe vanedor meant the general situation was described as gritty, being post-apocalyptic, everyone trying to survive as they can, etc?

Yes, perhaps gritty wasn't the best word but yeah, I meant the backstabbing, corruption etc that pervade so many dialogs.

I loves how much freedom we have to complete basically every quests, every encounters. And it never feels like a puzzle. It's choice and consequence done well.

Yup, romp all over, do what you like whenever you wish. If you get your clock cleaned, man up a bit elsewhere and come back later. ATOM rpg does so many things in the right fashion, especially if you enjoyed the earlier Fallout offerings.

Far Cry 5

I finally managed to finish an Ubisoft game. It's not what I'd consider a great game, but it kept me entertained until the end which is more than I can say for all the other Ubi games I've played.

Interesting ending. I'm guessing a lot of people probably didn't like it, but I thought it was pretty cool, and I definitely wasn't expecting it.

Going to try Far Cry New Dawn next. Not sure if I'll do a full playthrough now though. I might need a change of formulas, and the user reviews for New Dawn aren't nearly as good.

Going to try Far Cry New Dawn next. Not sure if I'll do a full playthrough now though. I might need a change of formulas, and the user reviews for New Dawn aren't nearly as good.

I played Far Cry 5 when it was released because I got it as a promo bundle with some piece of hardware and liked it a lot. I then played New Dawn shortly after it came out and enjoyed it about as much as Far Cry 5.
New Dawn (on 'hard') took me 28 hours to finish and I'm a fairly completionist type of player. If you run & gun it more, you could probably finish New Dawn in 20 -25 hours.

New Dawn also had some crazy ass companions, though nothing beats Hurk and Adelaide from the first game :) . I mean, Hurk is in New Dawn but not quite as crazy-funny as in FC5 IIRC.
New Dawn is generally even crazier than FC5 but in a funny good way imo.

I think it might be a good idea probably to play at least one different game before diving into New Dawn because the gameplay is still quite similar.

Finally, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the user scores. Most UbiSoft games get downvoted massively for:

- … not publishing new games on Steam anymore since 2019 but siding with the devil called Epic and for having dared enter a publishing agreement with the devil incarnate
- … Denuvo
- … requiring uPlay or UbiSoft Connect as it is now called

Ubi games attract a lot of "political" votes that have nothing to do with the game at all. Denuvo, Epic, uPlay/Ubi Connect, real political stuff like the New Dawn twins being black and females (OMG teh w0ken3ss!!11), yada, yada, yada… as usual it is best to make up one's own mind by watching some (ideally uncommented) gameplay to form an opinion.

I played Far Cry 5 when it was released because I got it as a promo bundle with some piece of hardware and liked it a lot. I then played New Dawn shortly after it came out and enjoyed it about as much as Far Cry 5.
New Dawn (on 'hard') took me 28 hours to finish and I'm a fairly completionist type of player. If you run & gun it more, you could probably finish New Dawn in 20 -25 hours.

I thought New Dawn used the same map but reskinned. So it's actually a smaller game? I played FC 5 for almost 70 hours, but some of that time was spent just goofing around.

New Dawn also had some crazy ass companions, though nothing beats Hurk and Adelaide from the first game :) . I mean, Hurk is in New Dawn but not quite as crazy-funny as in FC5 IIRC.
New Dawn is generally even crazier than FC5 but in a funny good way imo..

Hurk was great. "Brown pants alert!" I went solo for most of the game, but I regret that now. I didn't get Hurk until towards the end because I did the regions in order of John ->Faith ->Jacob, but once I had Hurk I kept him as my active partner most of the time. I only tried the other companions briefly.

I thought New Dawn used the same map but reskinned. So it's actually a smaller game? I played FC 5 for almost 70 hours, but some of that time was spent just goofing around.

It's not the exact same map IIRC and, yes, I believe it is quite a bit smaller. You will probably also spend quite some time outside of the actual game map when you play the so called expeditions. Some of those take place on very nicely done separate maps and they are a lot of fun.

Hurk was great. "Brown pants alert!" I went solo for most of the game, but I regret that now. I didn't get Hurk until towards the end because I did the regions in order of John ->Faith ->Jacob, but once I had Hurk I kept him as my active partner most of the time. I only tried the other companions briefly.

I played with the dog most of the time plus (boring) Grace sometimes because I always like a stealth approach when possible in a game and because clearing outposts stealthily yielded extra rewards.

But when a region was cleared or when I wasn't clearing outposts, I often times switched to Hurk and Adelaide for goofing off :) . The only thing that was slightly annoying about this was the constant roar of Adelaide's chopper. The exchanges between Hurk and Adelaide were comedy gold though... or platinum rather :biggrin: .

So, I thought yesterday that I'd finally finished God Wars: the complete legend. There was a multi-staged battle, the first being really tough, it took me at least ninety minutes to get through that one, then I'm dumped into another battle, not quite as difficult yet still took a while to complete. The credits roll, the main characters all have a bit to say at the end, and then....another map opens, lol!

So, what will I say about this game, at least up to this point? It's excellent, should you like games similar to Final Fantasy: Tactics, you'd likely enjoy the heck out of this one. There are maybe a total of a dozen characters to choose from, and you usually field five or six at a time. The exploration factor is good, and all the class options will keep you fully engaged. Each character also has a class that's strictly their own, only they have access to the abilities in that particular class, though a couple do overlap.

What seems to have happened to me now is the game is still going on, yet I cannot use the characters that I'd been using for all of the game, up to this point. So I've had to step back and start leveling some of the eligible characters, and I'll update this once I really really conclude the game!

Finished POEII: Deadfire after 167 hours. That's typical for me, I always seem to take twice as long as the average person! 100% on the cheevos, the 2 hardest to get for me were Soulbinder and Old Salt. Soulbinder because I didn't find any soulbound items any of my guys could actually use until I got to the Forgotten Scrotum and then had to scramble to meet the requirements, and Old Salt because I was avoiding naval combat until I decided to go for the achievement. I got all good slides at the end with everybody happy, some groups were disappointed but no-one really suffered. Solid game 9/10.

Sounds like you had quite the good time with PoE 2, I really enjoyed that game as well and know I'll be replaying it at some point. I'm not sure what my total hours were, yet I'm fairly certain it was around the one hundred fifty hour mark, give or take a few. Lots of fun on those high seas!

Far Cry New Dawn

Not much to say. I enjoyed it. Like Far Cry 5, I think it's good but not great. I like how they used the same map but aged two decades and after a nuclear war. It was cool to recognize locations from Far Cry 5 still there but drastically changed.

I also liked the artistic style they used. It showed that you can have a post-apoc world with more than just greys and browns.

I was going to play Far Cry Blood Dragon next, but I might take a break from that series and play something else first.

I guess I haven't chimed in here in a while:

Quake (updated, played on Switch) - I have always loved this game, and it is a blast on the Switch. I paid the full $10 and definitely got the value.

The Outer Worlds & both DLC - replayed on Switch. Patches have definitely helped the game, and both of the DLC were excellent. According to Nintendo it took me ~60 hours to do it all (even being familiar with the core game). I got the full DLC on sale, feel that the 3 added levels per DLC was inadequate, but overall love the game.

NWN: Hordes of the Underdark - replay on iPad. When I replayed NWN last year I played the OC, most of the Premium Modules, and SoU ... but stalled upon starting HotU. Replayed it through again for the first time in a while ... absolutely love it. A bit fragmented in places, but I love the Epic feeling of being a level 30 spell caster.

I finished EXAPUNKS, by Zachtronics. It's a great puzzle game, about hacking and low-level programming.

There are 35 problems to solve plus a few challenges vs AI. The problems are well-thought and fun to solve, for who like that sort of things. The last one is a real treat.

The programming is very simple and doesn't require any prior knowledge, it's very much like assembly language. It's very well done, easy and allows you to focus on the main concepts without having to write long programs. Two PDF documents are provided with the specifications of the "cpu" and information on different platforms to hack; they're presented like "zines" of the hacking culture, with news and articles.

As in all their games, solving the problem shows where you stand in execution time, program size and network usage vs other players with histograms. This is a real trap because it's tempting to spend a lot of time optimizing to get a good position. That's how I ended up spending 40 hours on the game ;)

There is a short story, which wasn't necessary but provides a nice thread to the game, along with a few other extras.

Quite polished overall, it's the second-best of their games after Opus Magnum for the presentation, but my favourite for the gameplay.

Finished my first replay of pathfinder kingmaker and it was a blast, as expected. Game is chaotic good haha, it is really impressive how complex it can get and how well they integrated the kingdom stuff in it. Also definitely worth mentioning is the story and how it evolves, in the first 1-2 chapters, things dont seem connected, but they branch themselves and get more complicated, intriguing and intertwine later on.

What i did not enjoyed (probably like many others) was the constant feeling of being rushed on, though you get plenty of time to do everything related to side stuff. As for the ending
i managed to get the one with the love affair with Nyrissa, though ofc as expected got some bugs along the way; there was one that alsmot made me delete the save lol, at the encounter at the end of the house at the edge of time, did not had the option to avoid her fight, but after i defeated her, i got the correct choices to spray her with all the love replies :D

Anyway, its a classic already.

Just finished Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. To say it in the words of main character Peter Quill "This game is sooo metal" :biggrin: .

I'm not a Marvel fan and have never read/watched anything Guardians of the Galaxy related before so I have no idea how accurately the game reflects the source material but it was a crazy fun action adventure overall. Maybe almost a little too weird and crazy for my taste sometimes but it was still a fun ride.

The game is almost worth it for the dialogue, the banter and the exchanges between the characters alone. GoG has outstanding witty and funny writing.

The combat system takes some time to get used to but once you get the hang of it and realize that combat is a team effort then it's good fun. You will have to constantly make use of your guardian companions' abilities to beat the fights.
The difficulty menu allows for fine-tuning including the ability to slow down the game to set up combos.
Another really cool option is that you can set the QTEs to auto-win. This will make the QTEs disappear and you can't fail a QTE segment.

You can make some choices in various dialogues that have consequences… usually not too severe, though you CAN fuck up royally on some of them and thereby end the game early… luckily with the option to go back to the latest save, of course. Other choices can make upcoming fights easier or harder because you will get the support of an ally or not depending on what you chose. It definitely adds flavor to have these timed dialogue choices.

It took me 24 hours to complete the game on 'normal' difficulty (minus the (pre-)final boss when I dialed it down to easy since it was annoying). It's a fun action adventure with lots of good comedy so if you're into that I'd recommend it a lot.

I just completed Legends of Amberland last night, what an awesome game this was. If you like the M&M games, this would be right in the same vein, perhaps a bit more modern by comparison and likely easier to play overall.

You have seven members in your party, and you can compose it any way you desire. There are dungeons, towns, castles and such all over the land, you get quests and things to accomplish as you roam the areas. You have outdoor enemies to contend with as well as denizens of local crypts/dungeons/towers. I cannot give this higher marks than this: if you enjoyed any of the Might and Magic series, do yourself a favor and pick this thing up!!

Now I discovered "Heaven's Vault" and played it twice in a row. The first playthrough took me 20 hours the second one 30 hours.

I'm currently playing it.

Although the graphics are not great, the story certainly is. It sucks you deeper and deeper in ... I just can't stop with it !

It's not everyone's cakem though. Tryoing to translate things might not be everyone's "dream game".

And yet, that story ... Well, this game will have a special place for me ...

Back
Top Bottom