Last game you tried to finish or trying

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
Just a topic on games you have been playing and trying to finish.

Maybe someone can chime in and help us push through to finish.

For me it is Pillars of Enernity2.

I played a bit on release but figured i would hold off for the first time until everything was released and most bugs and balancing was done.

I had to push through the setting and really got into the game, but have found nearing the end of base game i am losing interest of running around.

I find the main part of the quests feel like fetch quests....

Iam i wrong?

Are the add on's worth pushing through?

Thanks

I played PoE II in 2018 so my memory is vague. But I know that I liked it very much and it captivated me enough to play completely through it in few days.

I even started a second run immediately after finishing it but lost steam after a few hours because I felt it being the same again. This was in contrast to PoE 1, which I replayed two or three times in a row with different character builds.

Coming back to your question: I don't really know how to motivate you to go on, since I had no motivation problems in my first run, I found it motivating enough till the end.

My memories of the DLCs are even more vague. While I have all of them in my library I don't even remember clearly, whether I played them at all. (I know its embarrassing…)

I do remember that I had a problem with the DLCs in one of the PoEs, but forgot if it was 1 or 2: I hit a level cap while playing through the DLCs. I stopped playing after that because somehow I need the sense of progression for my motivation.

But all in all I liked both PoE 1 and 2 very much and found it rewarding to complete the base games.

Funnily enough I never encountered your type of problem. As I understand you are near the end and loose steam now. For me games are more hit-and-miss. Either I get sucked into the game and want to play it to the end or I play a game for a few hours or a day and find that it isn't my cup of tea quite early. So I never had the need to motivate myself to carry on in the middle or near the end of a game.

Just now I have a completely different problem of finishing a game: Motivated by some discussions I started a re-run of Elex a few weeks ago and finished all content in the game, the main quest and all side quests and easter-egg secrets, but I still can't stop. Every evening I fire up the game for an hour, run around in the game world and kill a few trolls (there is not much else to do any more). But since it is no negative case of not finishing a game, I don't need help right now. Probably the issue will solve itself when Elex 2 comes out… :cool: Or I start Cyberpunk again (played it for a few hours and put it aside for a while).

Last edited:
I really tried to enjoy Pillars of Eternity 2 but just couldn't. It's all covered in the PoE2 topic.

I'm trying to finish Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children but they devs keep adding a little bit more, and a little bit more, and....

I played Pillars of Eternity Two late last summer, and had a blast with it. I didn't think the second would exceed the first, and I'm happy to report I was wrong. I still enjoy the first one, yet the second is my favorite of the two. And yes, the additional content is well worth playing, the exploration factor in the game is exceptional, as is the overall story.

So, what is the purpose of this thread? Do we post the last game that we attempted to play but wound up quitting?

PoE2, Underrail, Fallout 4 and P:Kingmaker are the four rpgs I *almost* completed since a year but for some reasons, I didn't play until the very end. Of that list, Underrail and Pathfinder are my two favorite but I just thought their last chapter dragged up to a point I didn't bother to see the end.

I'm very close to @vanedor;. I got to the final area of Underrail and lost interest because of how it was structured.
I got to the House at the Edge of Time in Kingmaker, but then stopped as I found it very annoying.

Of other games I almost finished recently, I don't think these count as I didn't get too far, but I played around 40 hours of the Witcher 3 before losing interest and I played around 30 hours of Kingdom Come before losing interest in that one.
I think Kingdom Come is my fault as I was playing the game trying to complete everything instead of just following the route and RPing it.

I probably should return to both of these but I feel like I need two weeks off with my kids off at university (in 16 years) to do that :D

Original Sin 2. I kind of loose the energy to continue in act 3 somewhere. For the most part I like the game a lot, except for combat. Started a new play on iPad now.

Original Sin 2. I kind of loose the energy to continue in act 3 somewhere. For the most part I like the game a lot, except for combat. Started a new play on iPad now.

That's another game I have started and not finished but I haven't put it on my list since I'm not very far in. I completed the starting island and a good part of the quests in the first village on the continent but I got too tired of the endless combats.

Last edited:
Original Sin 1&2. Believe me I try to finish them but always end up playing a different game. I've tried fives times now and it happens every-time. They lose their appeal.

I'm also stuck in D:OS2 act III (I think) since last year. I really like the game overall despite its flaws in the combat system with the armour and AoE mess, but it's just too long, I'm already at 150+ hours and only halfway or so. There have been other distractions, like Pathfinder which also took a huge lot of time, and I never came back to it since last last Summer. (apparently I can't type RETURN in this text box so it will have to be one paragraph only). So it's probably more due to the length and other games waiting than the quality, which I find very high.

Last edited:
I feel the same way, I've got to Ch. 3 several times but then stop. The problem is at level 16 the game totally changes because of the new spells and I don't like the necessity of respeccing constantly to keep up. There are so many good things about the game but the transition to late game is bad IMHO.

Mass Junk three. Played it for two hours, threw my hands up in disgust, demanded and received a refund. I left some legendary rants about this abysmal farce of a game, so I won't repeat that now. This remains the only games I've not completed in over twenty years, and also the only one I required a refund for. It was so bad it simply wounded my very soul.

I almost gave up on Original sin two but persevered just to see how bad it would get. I did finish that mess, yet it's one of the few games I'll never replay.

Mass Junk three. Played it for two hours, threw my hands up in disgust, demanded and received a refund. I left some legendary rants about this abysmal farce of a game, so I won't repeat that now. This remains the only games I've not completed in over twenty years, and also the only one I required a refund for. It was so bad it simply wounded my very soul.

I almost gave up on Original sin two but persevered just to see how bad it would get. I did finish that mess, yet it's one of the few games I'll never replay.

I really enjoyed Mass Effect 3. The ending was nothing to write home about but I enjoyed most of the game itself.

Motivation to play on in The Witcher 3

May be I get some professional help here ;-)

I had started the Witcher 3 soon after release, played for about a day in the first are and for some reason felt no motivation to play on the next day. So I played other things up to now and only came back to it yesterday.

Now I restarted it and managed to go through the first area, the second one (the palace) into the third one (the second "bigger" area).

Now I have motivation problems again….

I have to start by saying that I loved the Witcher 1 and played it several times. And I love open world games in general, like everything from Piranha Bytes, Morrowind, Fallout 3 and 4 or Horizon Zero Dawn.

My main reason that I like such games is immersion, i.e. I feel like I am in the game world and that I as a person am running around there, not simply an avatar of mine.

In TW3 I simply don't reach this immersed feeling. I always have the feeling that I am sitting before a computer playing a game.

I can't even describe exactly, what is different in this game compared to others.

So I try to list some things, which irk me, may be these together are the reason, but I don't know…

- The worst experience: Since it felt like open world, I thought I advance the main story to reach the second area before completely exploring the first area. When I did that, suddenly two of my side quests were marked as "Failed". So i had to skip and escape through a whole bunch of cutscenes starting in the inn of the first area until I came to the audience in the second area and only then I could reload an earlier save in order to finish the side quests before advancing the main story. What kind of open world design is this? I mean if there had been an in-game reason (e.g. after you leave the area a different army occupies the area and the original quest givers are gone- that would be understandable). But there was no in-game reason, other side content like looking for unknown places or for treasures were still active, only the two side quests were failed.

- the menus are so complex that I am tired after browsing through them to find something specific like inventory, alchemie etc. After I did something in the menus all remaining sense of immersion into the world was gone and I had the feeling like I had worked on a spreadsheet.

- In the first boss-fight (against that eagle thing): The game auto-locks me on this enemy. It is hard to unlock. (If you want to run away e.g.). Very annoying, I want to decide, when to fight and against whom. There is even an option (if I understand it correctly) saying that you only lock manually (by pressing Y). But it still auto-locked me on that beast. This makes it very hard to decide myself between melee and ranged fight etc.

- In a game like Elex I run around in the world, because I am curious, what comes behind the next hill or the next corner. That you can solve quests while you are on this exploration tour is a nice add on and adds naturally to the exploration because it adds aims. In TW3 I feel: Yes ok there is a map and you could go somewhere, but why? Ok so I go to solve the next quest and look for the next quest.. But I don't have the feeling to explore because of exploration, but only to run around in order to solve quests.

- The multiple cutscenes when first leaving the first area were not immersing for me at all. That was probably my fault, because I was only waiting for them to stop in order to reload, as explained above. But even trying to put this experience aside I found the audience scene and the following discussions with Jennifer more boring than anything.

- When I entered the third area I thought: Ok this map looks very similar to the first area, there are some quests to do, ok, but: Why? So I stopped playing in the middle of the road between the first and the second village of that third map yesterday evening and today I don't feel any urge to play on.

May be the examples don't make it clear, where my feelings come from and I can't explain it myself. This is a game, which I want to like and which I want to be one of the best RPG-experiences, but I simply can't feel it.

Can somebody give advice how I can feel immersed in the game and feel that I am in the game, instead of having the feeling to only sit before my PC and play a computer game? I even have more immersion and sense of exploration when playing an older game like Baldur's Gate than in this game.

I am very thankful for any suggestions since I want to love this game. :(

Are you trying to do all the sidequests? TW3 is open-world, but not in the same way as something like Elex. I suggest only picking up the sidequests that interest you the most. Don't try to do them all or randomly explore every inch of the map. Let the quests take you across the map naturally. I think trying to play it the same way as you would a sandbox game is a mistake.

Witcher 3 bored me to tears because I played it like JDR mentions. I am a completionist, so much so that it kills some types of games for me. I don't only want to win, I want the best outcome in every scenario and will reload and replay whole sections of a game to get my desired result.

This is the absolute worst way to play Geralt because much of the content is just filler if you do it too often. Wander through the story but don't stop and smell the roses too much.

P.S. I can't make myself play like this though, so the Witcher 3; though probably a great game, remains unfinished.

P.P.S. I also somehow broke it the first time by going to an Act IV location from one of the beginning maps. For whatever reason it skipped a ton of Siri's story. She quit and went to work for Apple in my game :D

Are you trying to do all the sidequests? TW3 is open-world, but not in the same way as something like Elex. I suggest only picking up the sidequests that interest you the most. Don't try to do them all or randomly explore every inch of the map. Let the quests take you across the map naturally. I think trying to play it the same way as you would a sandbox game is a mistake.
Thanks for the advice. I thought I was already restricting myself by not looking for every question mark, but I wanted to do the things explicitly called side quests. But still: making an area transit and getting a message saying that your remaining side quests failed because of that transit is extremely lame and annoying for me, since it restraints my freedom to decide whether I want to finish them or not. I can live with unfinished quests but with not failed ones (at least for such dumb reasons).
Not exploring the map completely also gives me a feeling of unfinishedness, but i can live with that.

So I will consider trying it the way you describe, but I fear it will only amplify my feeling that I am going from quest marker to quest marker instead of going through a real landscape.

Did I mention that I hate horses in games? The one in TW3 rides very clumsily, the only good emulation of real horse riding I remember was in Two Worlds 2 (which I only replayed twice, by the way ;) ). May be I try to play on without using the horse.

- The worst experience: Since it felt like open world, I thought I advance the main story to reach the second area before completely exploring the first area. When I did that, suddenly two of my side quests were marked as "Failed". So i had to skip and escape through a whole bunch of cutscenes starting in the inn of the first area until I came to the audience in the second area and only then I could reload an earlier save in order to finish the side quests before advancing the main story. What kind of open world design is this? I mean if there had been an in-game reason (e.g. after you leave the area a different army occupies the area and the original quest givers are gone- that would be understandable). But there was no in-game reason, other side content like looking for unknown places or for treasures were still active, only the two side quests were failed.

It's pretty simple. That is the tutorial area and it's not part of the open world. Don't let its size fool you: it's just the intro. You won't see that happen in that way again.

- In the first boss-fight (against that eagle thing): The game auto-locks me on this enemy. It is hard to unlock. (If you want to run away e.g.). Very annoying, I want to decide, when to fight and against whom. There is even an option (if I understand it correctly) saying that you only lock manually (by pressing Y). But it still auto-locked me on that beast. This makes it very hard to decide myself between melee and ranged fight etc.

It does the same thing in Elex, so I'm not sure what the specific issue is here. If anything, the controls in Elex are more sluggish. It's harder than hell to fight in a group. The controls are highly customizable for the Witcher 3 on PC; take a look around them and see if you can set it up so it's more convenient for you.

- In a game like Elex I run around in the world, because I am curious, what comes behind the next hill or the next corner. That you can solve quests while you are on this exploration tour is a nice add on and adds naturally to the exploration because it adds aims. In TW3 I feel: Yes ok there is a map and you could go somewhere, but why? Ok so I go to solve the next quest and look for the next quest.. But I don't have the feeling to explore because of exploration, but only to run around in order to solve quests.

Why? There is at least as much to find in The Witcher 3 as there is in Elex. The "why" is the same for both games... are you saying you don't find anything? I recommend heading for buildings on the map. Whether or not they're marked with a point of interest marker (the ?) or not, those are often places where you can reliably find bespoke content. Running around in the huge forests you're probably not going to find a whole lot.

- The multiple cutscenes when first leaving the first area were not immersing for me at all. That was probably my fault, because I was only waiting for them to stop in order to reload, as explained above. But even trying to put this experience aside I found the audience scene and the following discussions with Jennifer more boring than anything.

Nobody can give you advice that's going to force you to enjoy the characters, writing or story. Most RPG players do like them, and many consider them among the best in the genre. Maybe you like them more as you go along, maybe you won't.

- When I entered the third area I thought: Ok this map looks very similar to the first area, there are some quests to do, ok, but: Why? So I stopped playing in the middle of the road between the first and the second village of that third map yesterday evening and today I don't feel any urge to play on.

Why do you ever do quests in any game? Again, this tells me nothing about why this particular game doesn't resonate with you. You can look at things from the personal perspective (Geralt wants to find Ciri, his ward and surrogate daughter), you can look at things from the perspective of being a monster hunter, and you can look at things from the perspective of the individual stakes in the various quests, most of which have some emotional stakes.

I really enjoyed Mass Effect 3. The ending was nothing to write home about but I enjoyed most of the game itself.

Yeah, I don't get that. Mass Effect 3 was exactly like Mass Effect 2 except with slightly tighter combat. I don't understand liking the latter but not the former, ending excepted.

I have a lot of unfinished games I'd like to finish. Of course there are games I played but didn't care for that much; I'm not talking about those, because who cares if I finish those. But there are games I count among my favorites that I've never actually seen the ending of. Planescape: Torment is at the top. I've played through 80+% of that twice, but stopped at roughly the same spot both times. I've also done that with PoE1 (I finished PoE2, though not the DLC). I haven't finished Disco Elysium yet and want to. Underrail. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. Loads of games.

Back
Top Bottom