Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown

Chris Kozmik

Indie Game Developer
Hi!

I'm the developer of Legends of Amberland and I would like to make an official topic about the game. In case some people got the feeling they have heard it somewhere already, yes, I was posting here years ago about an RPG I'm making, it was cancelled but I reused a lot of the code and the premise and aesthetic was somewhat similar.

About the game:
It's a classic, retro like RPG, just like the ones they made in the 90s. It was inspired by Dungeon Master, Eye of The Beholder 2, Might & Magic 3-5, Crystals of Arborea, GoldBox series.

It's 100% turn-based but fast paced. You lead a party of 7 heroes (customizable or predefined whichever you prefer) on an epic quest.

RPG Watch's games database entry

Trailer (YouTube)

LoA_screenshot_v1.20.0.png

Current state of the game:
It's released and finished. No gameplay changes will be made. There is some minor polish still done and of course post release fixes if those are reported.

News & links:
Sequel:
Forum topic about the sequel (Legends of Amberland II: The Song of Trees): https://rpgwatch.com/forum/threads/legends-of-amberland-ii-the-song-of-trees.55638/ (released)

Last edited:
Magic III/Quest vibes for the win! How long is it in comparison to MM3, any idea? Is there a map?

I would say that it takes about 20 h to complete and is a really fun retro a la mm 3 game

Magic III/Quest vibes for the win! How long is it in comparison to MM3, any idea? Is there a map?
According to Early Access testers (the game was not completed then yet) it took them like 18-60 hours to finish (20-40h being typical), the average reported was around 28h I think.

Not sure what you meant by map, but there is an in-game minimap and a full map.

To Archibald

One thing I really missed and would like to see if you ever do Amberland 2 or another crpg in the same vein is secrets to find in the overland map to reward exploration
Something like the stat fountains, treasures or camps in MM 3
I would also like to add that I really liked your game and as I said am playing it again with a different partyconfiguration

So thanks a lot

I picked it up and I agree with mprod and the 2nd thing I'd request is hidden doors that show up when you bump into them. That was always fun in the older style games like this. The biggest thing though is rewarding exploration with good loot. Remember the black chests from the early m&m games?

I would also like to add that I really liked your game and as I said am playing it again with a different partyconfiguration
Please, after you do, post (or email me) some impressions from the SECOND playthrough. So far I have a plentiful feedback from the first playthrough, it would be interesting to know the impressions of a second one.

And glad you liked it :)

I picked it up and I agree with mprod and the 2nd thing I'd request is hidden doors that show up when you bump into them. That was always fun in the older style games like this. The biggest thing though is rewarding exploration with good loot. Remember the black chests from the early m&m games?
Not really, I don't recall "black chests". Are you sure you meant early M&Ms? Althrough I played those ages ago so I might not remember correctly...

Anyway, I think you meant something like Gold Chests in Legends of Amberland? Chest quaranteed to contain rare/legendary/unique/quest items?

Please, after you do, post (or email me) some impressions from the SECOND playthrough. So far I have a plentiful feedback from the first playthrough, it would be interesting to know the impressions of a second one.

And glad you liked it :)

Not really, I don't recall "black chests". Are you sure you meant early M&Ms? Althrough I played those ages ago so I might not remember correctly…

Anyway, I think you meant something like Gold Chests in Legends of Amberland? Chest quaranteed to contain rare/legendary/unique/quest items?

I think they show up in MM6-9. They require a very high disarm traps to disarm (normally a grandmaster or a master with skill boosting equipment) and were almost always hidden in secret areas.

I think they show up in MM6-9. They require a very high disarm traps to disarm (normally a grandmaster or a master with skill boosting equipment) and were almost always hidden in secret areas.
Oh, I always considered 6+ the modern ones I thought 1-5 was the early ones :D Sigh, my age shows :D

I have played every mm game far too many times except for the first and the ninth and I don´t really know what you mean with black chests

I know I should go back to pt 1 & 2 and I´m thinking about it did they have special chests they didn´t really have skills

Or do you mean the few special chests that you can farm in mm 6-8 whenever the the area repopulate

I think I need to wishlist it. Looks as if I'd like it. :)

Might and Magic I, Secret of the Inner Sanctum had some black chests iirc. They were very well hidden and needed teleport or a passwall type spell to access. Might and Magic 9 also had black chests, so both of the MM's you missed had these IF I'm remembering correctly. Anyone else old enough to have played the very earliest Might and Magic? The thing I remember most about playing the game was getting stuck and contacting Jon Van Caneghem over the phone for a hint. I talked to him for about 10 minutes and he was coding MM2. I vaguely remember some type of Pegasus creature too, so it may not have been MMI but I "think" it was. It is very likely that this was the C64 version of the game as I don't think I had moved to Amiga or IBM yet.

Anyway back on topic. I played quite a bit of Amberland before I eventually got bored. I played through the desert and killed a Red Dragon to the nw of that then just wandered around a bit. I wasn't finding new loot or new skills so I gave it up. I thought it was fun up until then though. I was probably level 27 or so when I stopped.

Last edited:
According to Early Access testers (the game was not completed then yet) it took them like 18-60 hours to finish (20-40h being typical), the average reported was around 28h I think.

Not sure what you meant by map, but there is an in-game minimap and a full map.

In all of the MM games there was a world map. Yours would be a map of A1-F5 iirc. I figured you would have such a thing on your website or discord but didn't look too hard.

In all of the MM games there was a world map. Yours would be a map of A1-F5 iirc. I figured you would have such a thing on your website or discord but didn't look too hard.
You mean some image with a map of all this?

Well... I'm not sure, it would diminish the fun from exploration if you knew the shape and what is where... But I do agree it would be nice immersion wise. Still, the unknown exploration is kind of fun and I would not want to spoil it...

It is surprisingly well made! I would recommend this to anyone who has played and enjoyed World of Xeen and is looking for a similar taste!

I got bored with it after time, but I got a decent 20-30 hours out of it. Well worth the minimal money investment.

Why did I stop? Loot stopped being rewarding. I was getting dupes constantly and hadn't swapped a single item on my team in 5 levels when I quit.

where can i download this game for free so ai can test it qnd let you know if its any good and worth releasing?

Back
Top Bottom