Lords of the Fallen - Now Available & Reviews

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Sorry but that was the dummest and meaningless launch trailer that I have ever seen. It will not do any favours to the game, which is recieving good reviews (considering it will always be branded as a Souls clone). They should have only used their previous gameplay or CGI trailers, which were much better.

yes I have been playing since yesterday. It is a fun game. Although it isn't perfect by a long shot. It isn't as in depth or as long as dark souls but it has it own charms. You can play with keyboard and mouse although joypad apparently is better. There are a couple of really bad bugs out there. Today there was a very good patch that give us the options of turning certain nivida features of.
Overall I would rate the game 7.9. That's mainly down to bugs.

This is a combat game? I don't think I played Dark Souls because I thought it was a hack and slay and I'm not good at/don't care for twitch combat. Is this the same?

Oops. I just submitted this as news... I even read through the front page before and totally missed this. More coffee...

I've played a couple hours on PS4. So far, so good. Haven't seen any bugs.

And yes, it is a combat game. But so far it's much easier than Souls. I played a lot of DS2, admired much about it, but never finished it because it just got too tedious. Plus the "story" of DS games is largely made up in the rabid fan base's heads.

Thanks, Ovenall. Hate melee combat and want more than just magical combat too. I'll get these one of these days in a bundle just to look at them.

Played an hour and a half last night on pc. Settings maxed. Didn't run into any bugs and it played very smooth, no stuttering.

Other than the camera rotating a little slower than I like ( even on highest sensitivity setting) mouse and keyboard performed flawlessly. I was able to remap keys and even assign actions to my extra mouse buttons.

My biggest complaint would be the camera in tight corridors you have to fight in. I've died a few times because I couldn't see my guy.

Other than that I think it's excellent. I'm not sure how well it will sell though as its probably to hard for casuals and not hardcore enough for dark souls purists.

I beat both dark souls games and I do wish it was a little more difficult but I'm not one of those people who think it has too be near impossible to be fun.

Good fun if you like the dark souls formula but don't need it to be super difficult. If you didn't like dark souls however, I think this is similar enough that you won't like it either.

I also like that there's more loot, at least in the first couple hours I played. Yes, a few annoying camera issues too, but not terrible, and certainly not as bad as some reviews are claiming. Please support this game, I'd love to see more like it.

And as far as "derivative" yes it is, but so are 1000 Diablo clones and people don't have huge problems with that, so not sure why it's so emphasized here.

Oh, and it's from a European developer, so you guys should all be fainting in ecstasy over it. ;)

Dunno about others but I do have huge problems with Diablo clones and sorry, I don't really care where the developer is from.

Okay, it's *not* EA subsidiary, I'll give you that. :evilgrin:
Still refuse to drool. :p

I simply can't get over the blizzardesque (but not even that well-done) art design and the spoon-fed, cliche-ridden storyline and representation. I can't help it but look at it as an inferior game to any of the ones in the Souls series. It adds very little to that formula, but takes away some important elements imo.

But I can imagine how the things I don't like about it can attract people with other preferences, so, yeah, more power to them, I guess. But if you enjoyed the Souls game (also) for their world design, art style, lore and story, I don't think you'll like this one much.

Meh. Grimrock was completely derivative of older games and got showered with praise. PB has made the same Gothic game about seven times. Not to mention every other 3rd person/run/kill with medieval weapons/fetch/solve quest games there are.

Games copy stuff from other games. I'm glad there's things being copied from good quality, original games like Dark Souls. I've only played a couple hours, so I don't have a fully formed opinion. I just thick it's lame that people are bashing this game (partly) because it borrows heavily from DS.

Yes, if you go in and compare everything to dark souls you will probably be disappointed but this isn't dark souls. The developers even said they didn't want to make another DS but wanted to make it more accessible and put their own spin on it.

In my brief time I think they did pretty well, not perfect obviously but I hope they continue with either DLC or a sequel to work on perfecting it.

Not sure I see the blizzardesque art direction but I don't play many blizzard games so maybe. Of the little I played of Diablo 3 it doesn't hold a candle to LOTF IMO. I thought the graphic were well done and some of the lighting is phenomenal.

I can't comment on story or lore of LOTF because I've only logged an hour and a half but I put almost 400 hours into DS1&2 and if someone asked me to explain the lore or story I don't think I could. I played DS1&2 for the combat, exploration and atmosphere. Story and lore really never cross my mind when thinking of DS1&2.

As for world design, DS1 was amazing. DS2, not so much. In my limited time in LOTF the first area did fold back on itself a bit like DS1 we'll have to see if that continues before I compare them.

I don't think LOTF will overtake DS1 for me but I could see it surpassing DS2 which I think was a clear step down in the soul series.

If you read DS or DS2 forums, the fan base has crazy, elaborate theories about the "story" in those games. I loved the mystery aspect, but IMO 1/2 of the "story" was lost in Japanese-to-english translation and the rest is made up crap. Some of the first DS bosses were unforgettable though.

Again, I just got bored after a while getting killed over and over, finally beating an area… only to open up a new area, different colors and theme, but same grinding misery. Stopped being fun after a while and I play games for fun.

Lords of the Fallen was developed by Deck 13, the (German) deverlopers of Venetica.

I am replying DS1 and I was surprised to find out that I can join the Hunters guild and stop my agony in the Dark forests (and have a nice weapon seller later on in Blightown). DS1 does not stop to amaze me!

Meh. Grimrock was completely derivative of older games and got showered with praise.

Probably because there hadn't been a decent dungeon crawler in more than a decade.

PB has made the same Gothic game about seven times. Not to mention every other 3rd person/run/kill with medieval weapons/fetch/solve quest games there are.

PB isn't copying someone else though. ;)

If you read DS or DS2 forums, the fan base has crazy, elaborate theories about the "story" in those games. I loved the mystery aspect, but IMO 1/2 of the "story" was lost in Japanese-to-english translation and the rest is made up crap. Some of the first DS bosses were unforgettable though.

Dark Souls 2 doesn't give you a Hollywood style story with a happy ending all neatly tied up and concluded.

Either does real life.

But there is a story unfolding in your life comprised of the events that take place within it.

Your Dark Souls 2 story will be different to everyone else, as your real life will be, but they all start the same way.

Consciousness begins.

I think therefore I am.

What do you see? What do you discover?

What have you learned about yourself through the events in the game? Lose your temper? Try to shift the blame from yourself to the game in your frustration?

What interactions with other "souls" do you seemingly randomly encounter on your walk through "life". I wonder what their journey has been like? Surely similar, surely different. We all face many of the same issues in real life as we're pushed from institution to institution from birth, yet we all feel unique.

No one wants to be told their story. You'd probably be offended if anyone tried. If you could learn the date you are to die in the future would this information be a blessing or a curse to you?

Dark Souls 2 shares many of the themes of real life.

The story of your life is yours to write. Life has no apparent purpose, we're born alone, we die alone, our time alive is finite, and yet, like the games NPC Lucatiel, it's so precious to us we'd likely kill another to preserve whatever time we have left of it - even as we're unaware how long that may be...

Mortality is the curse we're all born with and this theme has never been more fully realised than in the Dark Souls games.

Back
Top Bottom