Lotro

A

Aerth

Got the strange idea to give a try to Lotro. I never played it and the game is 10 years old so I suspect than not a lot must be geared toward the newbie or would be outdated.

I am not looking for a guild or do anything grouped just discovering the game at my own pace.
I would appreciate if someone could point me to some links with information current enough?

Hmm, after 82 years of exposure there would be no smell, nor any cat remains.

Is crafting still useful in this game? I mean Metalsmith or Weaponsmith for example?

Is crafting still useful in this game? I mean Metalsmith or Weaponsmith for example?

I stopped playing years ago but heres what I know about crafting.
If you are totallly playing solo, then crafting is useful.
If you are playing in a guild then everything you can imagine can be crafted by people way better at it than you. Only do it if you REALLY want to craft.

I must confess than I am having fun even at very low level. UI must be tailored a lot to be suitable on a big screen but when set it is really fine.
Surprised by the World chat, did not participate but had a look : It was cool and often in character or at least in full English. That is also a good surprise.
Sure, graphics are outdated but after some minutes I did not even notice it anymore.

Also, do not want to appear smug but Gandalf who has quite an eye for potential, has already tried to approach me. I am playing hard to get, don't want him to think I am easy or something.
Locals are quite smitten by my overall warrior skills too, they have bestowed upon me some really nice titles like "Bat Killer" or whatever. I feel than a statue could be erected if I dropped some hints.

Tomorrow the 8th, SSG is launching a new server: Anor. It's meant to be a locked progression server. The first 4 months are locked to level 1 to 50, with new level cap/content increase every 4 months. FAQ

The new server will be the current version of the game with reduced XP gain and some stuff not available (because they come from later content pack like skirmishes or meant for post level 50 content).

Requires VIP.

Along with DDO - LotRO is the MMO that I would most want to see remade with the latest technology.

Along with DDO - LotRO is the MMO that I would most want to see remade with the latest technology.

I'd want to see Shadowbane remade. I want to play another flying race!

(It had a birdman and a demon race which could both naturally fly)

A year or so ago I would have been able to convince a couple of friends to come mess about on the emulated servers, but now everyone's super busy with new babies or being dead so I don't think I'll bother with the lag.

But you can see in this video from sep 2018 that these graphics could use a splash of paint.

In which new games do you find sieges like that?

I have been VIP since 2010. Amazing game. Right now, I am playing on Anor (one of the two legendary servers) and it is a lot of fun. Just getting out of Moria now, and into Lothlorien on my main (guard), and building up my stable of alts. SSG, warts and all, are still putting a lot into this game, say what you will about them.

I've been a lifetime subscriber since 2007 :)

This and DDO are my favorite MMOs in terms of design.

They would be my overall favorite MMOs if only they were modernized.

ESO is probably the closest thing to a modern LotRO we'll see. It's great - but it's not Tolkien.

Neverwinter is the modern DDO, I guess - but it's a joke in comparison.

I have always liked DDO, in terms of it's design. Just never had the time to fully commit to a sub for it. I think over the years that Turbine, and then SSG have done a great job building up the content for DDO.

I played it for a couple years w/ my ex, it's a fun game that you'll get more mileage from if you're a Tolkien nerd (obviously)

We were at the time, and it was great fun in that regard

If you are deep into Tolkien lore (I fall into that category), then the game is such a treat. There are however, many situations where the developers over the years, be it Turbine, or SSG, have broken with lore and gone in a completely different direction.

Personally, I rather stick with the books.
But on the other hand, I love DDO.

I loved LOTRO, but SSG made changes which destroyed all I loved about the game for some reason. So now I just login from nostalgia.
I just wish I could buy the game and make all the changes I always wanted :p Just look at them - a team which could create a whole expansion in a year! I would create a new MMO with the same engine and the same team and I would make it pure RP with level restrictions removal. I would need 1 city for it. But still I wouldn't have money to pay for that year :(

So there is new expansion and almost all the questpack are free untill november: https://lotro.com/en/getready
And there is nothing like a youtube video about how the game is great showing first 10 levels, which is the nostalgia they milk from for quite a few years. But well, atleast it is alive and the story was still good.

Back
Top Bottom