Marvel's Midnight Suns - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Ye Old Entertainment checked out Marvel's Midnight Suns:

Marvel Midnight Suns Review: Xcom meets Slay the Spire gone wrong. (It's even bad as a dating sim)

Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

There are parts I love and other parts about this game I just despised.

Probably why it was a failure and dropped by both developer and publisher.

Not without releasing all the cut content Hero DLC though. :rotfl:

I think the base game was given for free (Epic Stores) but I never cared to check it. I am not saying that I never will; I'm just saying that, until now, I never wanted to play it.
Still I would prefer if Firaxis had made a proper sequel to XCOM2 :cry:

Yep it was offered free on the Epic store last month. Anyway yeah an XCom 3 would be very welcome. Though Firaxis seems to not be interested in making another one.

Never got to play this, but feels like if I did, I could get into it. For now it will have to wait.

I still want to take a look at it ... And no, I just don't use Epic, because I just don't want to add "yet another launcher" into my PC ... At one point, it's just too many passwords to keep track of ...

I picked this up last month and am about finished with the "Legendary" Edition. When I say "finished" I mean, not complete, but I'm almost finished with it. It's getting boring, quickly-- something I never say about XCOM. XCOM 1 & 2 (remakes) are, by far, my favorite games and I could see some of that in Midnight Suns. Unfortunately, not nearly enough to keep me interested, and I absolutely see why it failed.

The sad part is that if they had taken some of these ideas into an XCOM 3, it probably would have been a great sequel. Instead, they hitched their wagons to a Marvel franchise everyone's burned out on and added a pay-to-dress system.

I don't understand the obsession with outfits in games now. Do we really need 25 sets of clothes to walk around with between missions? I got all of this stuff for free, now that the game is basically in the wastebasket, but people actually paid for these features at some point. It added nothing to the game for me. Blows my mind.

Anyway, it was a better experience than I had been led to believe from reviews, but it becomes quickly tiresome unless you're a huge comic/Marvel fan, which I am not. It was worth every bit the $20 or so dollars I paid for the final completed director's legendary mega gold platinum diamond secret bonus premium edition.

Maybe we'll see an XCOM 3 from whoever's left at Firaxis, if someone there has the balls to overlook this failure and assume Marvel/arena battles were the reason, not in-depth, turn-based tactical strategy.

It's a fun game, unless, of course, you try to make it XCOM. What does Slay the Spire have to do with this game? Because it has cards, it's Slay the Spire-like!?

It's got issues for sure, some outright silly (why wouldn't they make the picture frames you can use for your screenshots be standard screen ratios??) but playing with all those powers was plenty fun. The dialog was fun. The story was... meh, good enough to carry it.

@ChaosTheory - yep, it needs at least 25 outfits each. Ask any City of Heroes veteran. ;)

As someone who has no idea who most of the Marvel characters are (except Spider-man), I somewhat enjoyed this game. After 50 hours I got somewhat tired of the combat while the "dating sim" stuff is okay throughout (not bad and not good), and I stopped playing it even though there was quite a bit more of the story to play through. 50 hours is good for the $20 I purchased it for last year.

I enjoyed XCom 2 (received for free via Epic Games promotion) quite a bit.

I still want to take a look at it ... And no, I just don't use Epic, because I just don't want to add "yet another launcher" into my PC ... At one point, it's just too many passwords to keep track of ...

Why would you be keeping track of passwords? Highly recommend using a password manager like Bitwarden or similar.

And just in case you didn't know - Epic actually supports a whole bunch of identity providers - including Google, Microsoft, PSN, Steam, Nintendo, Facebook, Apple and Lego. So you could actually just use other login you already have. Despite what some people think this is actually highly secure - EOS doesn't actually store anything apart from a token which it validates against your chosen IDP and it solely gives you access to EGS - not the actual parent site of the provider.

I played it twice and loved the game as a whole but hated the ending. Worth the price for me though and have mostly good memories. Especially of my Hunter and Charlie the Hellhound.

Yup, that ending was quite badly done, and Charlie is one heck of a companion. No Colossus and Banner coming so late in the game are among the reasons I'd never replay this one.

Why would you be keeping track of passwords? Highly recommend using a password manager like Bitwarden or similar.
I actually use a paper book since a few years now.

Iirc, I got this for free on Epic. Still haven't tried it. I'm a big fan of XCOM 1 & 2 though, so I feel like I should give it a go sometime just for that. I'm just not really into Marvel when it comes to gaming.

It's not truly a bad game, especially for free. You just have to at least semi-enjoy card combat mechanics, if not this game might not be to your liking.

This is one of those games I would like to try if there were not some many games and so little time, and perhaps I will still do since I got it in Epic for free too. I've read that gameplay is solid but hero sim is boring to death.
Theme is not my favourite either. I've always thought since the very original XCOM game that there was something inherently epic in the ultimate fight for the survival of the human race against aliens. This is just more superhero stuff.

I hope that Firaxis takes up XCOM 3 after the relase of Civ7 but after Jake Solomon departure (he created a new development company taking part of Firaxis team and are busy creating a Sims like game... yikes) I wonder who would be the lead and which direction it will take.

Back
Top Bottom