Mechajammer - Calitana Field Guide

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Whalenought Studio posted a guide for new players. There was also a small hotfix earlier for a dialogue loop.

Calitana Field Guide; 7 Things To Know Before Playing Mechajammer

About to begin your journey through Calitana? Start here.

It's time, offworlder. Your journey through -- and more importantly, escape from -- Calitana is about to begin. And while you might have the skills and virtues to succeed, you shouldn't get ahead of yourself. This is no walk in the park.

Do not go in unprepared. Do not go in ill-equipped. If you're not going into this with the right mindset, Calitana will chew you up and spit you out. Thankfully, we're on hand with some advice.

Pay heed:

INFORMATION IS POWER (READ: USE YOUR NOTEPAD)

Information will not be served to you on a silver platter. When someone tells you about something they need or a location you need to get to, TAKE NOTES. You will not be offered a quest journal or waypoint markers or anything that takes away from your sense of agency. The in-game notebook (and the notes you choose to write in it) are your only guide. Use it.

4975b9c300a6953b56c5f6caeb4be2d245b84cfb.png

[...]
More information.

While I don't need quest markers, I do like an in game journal. I find writing my own in game notes to be a huge annoyance, and I really disliked it in Serpents in the Staglands. I also don't like having to map by hand. Yes I did it in the old days, because I had to, but I'm glad that most games give you a journal and the choice to use an automap.

While I don't need quest markers, I do like an in game journal. I find writing my own in game notes to be a huge annoyance, and I really disliked it in Serpents in the Staglands. I also don't like having to map by hand. Yes I did it in the old days, because I had to, but I'm glad that most games give you a journal and the choice to use an automap.
I'll see how it goes - well, once they get the game to be stable enough to play, and if they support international keyboards.

Chances are I'll forget to take notes and dearly miss an automatic journal quickly enough. ;) I've never been very good at keeping notes, but for now I like the idea. I actually missed an editable journal in a few games.

I don't like automaps but that's a personal preference (I mean when it's displayed all the time on the screen). There is a map in Mechajammer though, and it's possible to add notes, so at least we don't have to draw it by hand.

There's a lot about this game that looks interesting to me, but the lack of a journal and having to add your own map notes kills any interest for me. I'm sure some will enjoy doing those things, but for me they're work, not fun.

I'll see how it goes - well, once they get the game to be stable enough to play, and if they support international keyboards.

Chances are I'll forget to take notes and dearly miss an automatic journal quickly enough. ;) I've never been very good at keeping notes, but for now I like the idea. I actually missed an editable journal in a few games.

I don't like automaps but that's a personal preference (I mean when it's displayed all the time on the screen). There is a map in Mechajammer though, and it's possible to add notes, so at least we don't have to draw it by hand.

I actually have a very good memory for detail, and I really only look at the journal if I am stuck or directionless, of if I remember that I have a quest, but can't remember who I'm supposed to talk to or where I'm supposed to go. Sometimes when I do open the journal I am surprised to have a quest from a conversation or an event that I didn't think was important. There are some games where I almost never open the journal, but I am glad it is there when I have to.

I despise quest markers, yet enjoy a good journal, so it would be nice if the latter were included, but it's not a necessity for me. I'm used to taking notes while I play games, often to excess, so that's not a challenge. Perhaps with enough feedback we might see a journal included in a future update.

No journal is not plus for me either. On the other side, IF game is properly designed around fact, that it doesnt have journal, it might be less of a problem. I mean, if quest design and dialogues properly signal important moments.

There are games that have minimap and quest markers and game is designed around it, so if you would just turn it of, you would have hard time to find your way, because game is just not designed to properly communicate without it. If this is opposite, it might be fine? Dont know, I will play it as soon as feedback from players signal that most bugs are patched out.

Back
Top Bottom