Mechajammer - Linux Version Released

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Whalenought Studios and Modern Wolf have announced that the Linux version of Mechajammer was available.

Mechajammer | The Linux Version Has Landed!

And with it, a couple of additional fixes and improvements.

The Linux version of Mechajammer is here!

To our Linux community: thank you for patiently waiting to play or pick up Mechajammer, we hope that because of this wait, you're able to have a more stable build in your hands and a better experience overall.

We've had a few questions about why the timing of the Linux release had changed, and we'd like to give you some clarity on that.

After launch, we had to shift our focus to fixing pressing issues for those who were already experiencing the game. We were waiting on a different QA team to our regular testers to review and let us know it was ready to go live. For us, the Linux build has been around the corner and ready to release for a while. Unfortunately, we've had to wait on external parties for longer than we anticipated.

We can't wait for you to experience roaming the streets of Calitana and join with the rest of the community in solving puzzles, working out best character builds and fighting rats.

Testing has been difficult on Linux, and while it should now have parity with other platforms in terms of stability, if you come across any issues in the game, please head to the official Discord server to leave a bug report.

The recent push to main that we're calling v1.81 also comes with a few hot fixes, listed below:

• Fixed an issue with vehicles where a pooling bug can lead to them not show up at all over time with character/NPC use, or show up invisibly while stationary or with drivers
  • Fixed visual anomaly with hitting non-combatants with vehicles where they pop between two tiles
As always, huge thanks. And until next time.

-- Whalenought Studios & Modern Wolf
More information.

I have barely read about this one before. Though, I think this is the game that was originally called "Copper Dreams"...maybe.

Opinions on steam gives it a mixed score at the moment, so I don't think I'm willing to chanse it at full price but I might pick it up on a sale sometime.

Yup, you're right on multiple counts, Feist, the name changed and there are serious issues with the current game right now, or at least when I was warned by one of the developers to "wait a bit longer" before checking it out. I took her advise seriously and, for now, it's on the bench yet one I'm looking forward to diving into hopefully in the next few months. I'm pleased to see the Linux crowd is getting their games as well, the more people exposed to these fine games, the better!

The game has its fair share of bugs, indeed. I've stopped playing it since soon after the release, but I'm curious to see how it fares now.

It's a very strange game which is not for everyone. With some luck they'll make a demo available for the Steam Next Fest next week, in which case it'll be worth trying if you have doubts.

They couldn't be nicer folks. On both games when I've had questions I got answers within a day or two, they never seemed annoyed or perturbed, thanked me for the askings and offered solutions/answers.

I would have thought they'd focus on polishing the game more before releasing it on another OS.

That was my first thought too. But it could be beneficial to have feedback and solve issues on both fronts at the same time, to avoid breaking everything later by introducing a new OS.

Even if most of the code is supposed to be multi-OS, in practice that's never the case. You're finally happy with the game on Windows, then you realize it won't do for Linux and you must backtrack, change the architecture, and everybody is pissed off for a long time.

On the other hand, the extra work will slow down things.

Aye, it could simply lead to more people sampling the content and being able to leave helpful feedback. I also would assume you'd work out the kinks first, yet then again I know little about programming so perhaps this approach makes sense in ways that aren't obvious to me, at a glance.

They are planning to release a version 1.1 late March, "trying to cram it full of stuff so that it's the launch people first wanted" (from Charis, the community manager at Modern Wolf).

Back
Top Bottom