Mechajammer - Review

Fair in my opinion, even if the score is as harsh as the game can sometimes be ;)
At least he makes an honest job of showing the pros and cons that RPS' reviewer.

There aren't many reviews of this game, and they're not stellar. I wouldn't like to be in the developer's shoes, but hopefully they continue addressing all those issues and steal a little more of the limelight once Mechajammer is more mature.

Unless those decisions were made on purpose to make the game as old-fashioned and ruthless as possible.

I've seen a few complaining about the brownish theme. It's strange developers are still falling into that trap, when there has been ample criticism of past games which did the same (Fallout 3 was one of them). Perhaps they thought it would be fine for an indie game?

I'm hoping things vastly improve by the time I get around to playing this one. I've such great memories of their previous game that I cannot help to think I'll eventually enjoy this one as well.

Game looks better than I thought, but there seem to be a few design decisions that have the ability to kill all the fun (that PTSD disadvantage seems to be extremely harsh).

I will come back to this after a few more patches and bugfixes.

Spot-on review - a potentially good game that needs lots of refinement.

From what I can tell Hannah and Joe very much prefer old-school cRPGs, warts and all. So they are probably not expecting their games to be a mainstream success and are probably fine with creating games that appeal to a more niche hardcore audience. That said, it seems like even most of the people in their target audience can only take so much punishment.

The reviewer here seemed to be complaining about stats actually mattering, i.e, "If I create a melee expert, he can't hit anything with guns!" Well, yeah, if you want to use guns your character needs the skill to use them. But if the disadvantages are really that harsh hopefully they'll tune those down.

The game went through so many visual styles over the course of the development.. it's funny that it ended up looking quite similar to Serpent in the Staglands.

Although it's probably wise to wait for further patches, I'm thinking of trying out the game today, but I will make a stealth oriented character. Not sure how viable that will be.

There weren't any noticeable issue with GOG patching, not sure what was reported to them.

The only point that was discussed on Discord AFAIK is the failure at GOG to put the patch notes, like any other game there. It also seems the CM has some problem getting feedback from GOG - I think they're just swamped right now.

I think they're just saying it takes longer for GOG to put up the patch than Steam. I recall hearing that GOG has staff manually check patches for stability before approving them whereas Steam just lets developers upload it instantly. Generally, in my experience if you use the Galaxy client you may get the patches a bit sooner than with standalone GOG installers.

I think they're just saying it takes longer for GOG to put up the patch than Steam. I recall hearing that GOG has staff manually check patches for stability before approving them whereas Steam just lets developers upload it instantly. Generally, in my experience if you use the Galaxy client you may get the patches a bit sooner than with standalone GOG installers.

It's true the downloadable file patches are sometimes slower to come, I saw that for Encased where it took them an hour or so to appear, when I already had them through Galaxy. With Galaxy it's usually just minutes later than Steam, not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom