Microsoft - Buys Zenimax/Bethesda

I don't rent things. Never have. I'm way too fickle and whim based… I don't want to watch/read/play things on a schedule. So I want to own what I use.

That makes Gamepass unattractive to me, but obviously I see the value in it for those who don't mind not owning stuff. If there's ever Gamepass exclusivity, though, that would suck. I guess I'l cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

Just a note, if owned by microsoft it never goes off the gamepass.

Until they decide it does. Might not happen in my lifetime, but anything you have access to virtually and not physically, you can lose access to in an instant.

Yep, just like steam.

Yep, just like steam.

Agree with this... though it is worth noting that non-MS games do leave pretty frequently on there, so it's something you will bump into more than on Steam.

It'll work for some people and not others - but if it does for you, it's pretty good value.

Actually, now that others mentioned it, there is a "leaving soon" tab in gamepass for games that will bow out promptly, and not be accessible to gamepass subscribers. I suppose it's something to keep in mind, but so far the games I've seen there haven't been big titles.

Microsoft know business and it makes sense they would try to keep their best sellers available at all times.

So… how is it different from Steam, etc?

As far as I am aware, if a game is removed from sale on Steam it remains accessible to those who purchased it. I think I have a game or two that isn't listed anymore. That wouldn't apply to something you obtain via subscription.

I have very few games that I go back to again and again....if I found one like that on gamepass, I have the option to buy it at a discount. I can also buy the dlc for any game(that's a money maker for them). Overall though, this lets me play a lot more games then I would have purchased, not all of them requiring to be in my library forever.

Fallout New Vegas Remastered is far more likely to happen within a year or two than FNV 2. Although backwards compatible, this 360 game never received any Xbox One enhancements like Fallout 3 did. I played it on PC at release, but missed the DLC, so I thought I'd try it on my XB1x because it's now on Game Pass… and it looks and runs like crap; I don't remember it being so ugly. It must be rendered at 600p or less with reduced textures versus PC version, and it's capped at 30fps.

With Obsidian busy making Avowed and TOW DLC2, FNV2 isn't going to happen anytime soon. However, with a minimum of effort, Fallout New Vegas could be bumped up to 4K/60 with hi-res textures on XB1x/XSX… in fact, with it being on Game Pass, I can see Microsoft insisting upon it.

Fallout New Vegas Remastered is far more likely to happen within a year or two than FNV 2.

A remastered version of a game that has been as heavily modded with textures, models, lighting, etc as this one is completely pointless. Not saying they won't do it. But nobody should buy such a thing.

A remastered version of a game that has been as heavily modded with textures, models, lighting, etc as this one is completely pointless. Not saying they won't do it. But nobody should buy such a thing.
Well The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition wants a word with you. It didn't need a remaster either but it got one even with all the with textures, models, & lighting mods.

Well The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition wants a word with you. It didn't need a remaster either but it got one even with all the with textures, models, & lighting mods.

And it doesn't look one iota different, much less better. I've never bothered to install it and they gave it to me for free. All they did was update it for 64 bit support, and break script tools in the process. Supposedly it's "more stable" but it crashes just like any other Bethesda game.

First party games are never removed and it would only be games where they could only negotiate a temporary agreement with the publisher/developer.

If Microsoft is not done buying yet I would like them to buy the Ultima IP off of EA. I'm sure one of inXile, Bethesda or Obsidian would do that IP more justice than EA ever would.

As far as I am aware, if a game is removed from sale on Steam it remains accessible to those who purchased it. I think I have a game or two that isn't listed anymore. That wouldn't apply to something you obtain via subscription.

Are you actually purchasing the games on Gamepass? If not, I don't quite understand the fear of losing them. I assume dates for any games being removed will be shown ahead of time so that the subscribers know in advance.

Not if they actually improve it in meaningful ways. FO:NV is still notoriously buggy and crash-prone for a lot of people, especially when they start adding mods. If they did a remaster that not only improved the visuals but also increased stability, it would be worth it for many.

A remastered version of a game that has been as heavily modded with textures, models, lighting, etc as this one is completely pointless. …
That's true, but you're missing the whole point. Those mods do not exist for the 10-y/o console versions of the game, so this bug-ridden mess will forever look and run like shit unless it is remastered.

Back
Top Bottom