Mount & Blade II - Bannerlord and ChatGPT

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
This video showcases ChatGPT in Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord by simulating NPC interactions dynamically.

The following video will demonstrate the using ChatGPT in Bannerlord with a custom build story engine for NPC dialogue interactions. SECOND VIDEO(more characters, professions etc): https://youtu.be/L_qauw4QM3Q

In the video, we will go to Battanian village, Imlagh and start chatting with random NPC's. NOTHING is scripted in this video. This implementation allows the player to interact with random NPC's in the game directly by typing, in a more natural way. All the stories in here are generated on the fly, with correct information (factions, locations, occupations, near-by events, rulers etc) with a custom story engine and ChatGPT. They provide you information about the world they are living in.

This is a demonstration project for showing the possible future of RPG Games and the way we interact with NPC's. I also added, "word by word" text processor to give amplify the "chat" behavior for NPC's (similar to ChatGPT's built-in system) and gave mouth/face animations for NPC's to make them look more alive. Sorry for the typos in my inputs, I was trying to be coherent and fast while typing :) Overall it took 2-3 days to finish, including custom story engines and such. But it's still not finished. More videos will come soon (With Imperial towns, taverns etc)
More information.

Ah the future of RPGs were developers and publishers don't have to pay writers. :cool:

Correct I'm being sarcastic. Though based on interviews/articles the entire game industry is eyeing using A.I tools to cut costs. The writing is on the wall but it's not ready yet.

Tools already allow you to create audio, speech, art and so on.

The AI fell down a bit when the player asked the Blacksmith to show him to his Smithy. I expect an update will address that and have the NPC walking to his business if asked.

Next step is to integrate this with speech recognition software so the player can just talk to the NPC instead of typing.

I expect it to be used as initial write-ups and then have writers adjust and improve.

I heard recently a professor of Journalism speak on the radio about AI. He said he asked an AI to write an essay about one of his university subjects he teaches. It took the AI 30 seconds to spit out something that a student would take 2 weeks to write. The professor said it wasn't perfect, but a student could use it and then simply spend 2/3 hours making it right.

Cut down development time from 3 weeks to 3 hours is pretty good.

LOOKS cool, but I guess the results will end up seeming boring after a while.
Yes, I think in its current formant, it does.
But I think it will pave the way for new style of game design, one revolving around free-flow conversations.
Also it will be great for MMORPG games, because the quest dialogues written for those games was mostly AI-written in all but name anyway.

I expect it to be used as initial write-ups and then have writers adjust and improve.

I heard recently a professor of Journalism speak on the radio about AI. He said he asked an AI to write an essay about one of his university subjects he teaches. It took the AI 30 seconds to spit out something that a student would take 2 weeks to write. The professor said it wasn't perfect, but a student could use it and then simply spend 2/3 hours making it right.

Cut down development time from 3 weeks to 3 hours is pretty good.
Uh, sure, that's iteration #1. It's not at all farfetched that in 2 years *all* NPC side content could be AI generated like this, with no tweaks needed.
The point is to replace second tier writing altogether, not to have AI create a first draft for you.
I'm following developments of ChatGPT in Academia and they're worried. This thing is already a game-changer and it was just revealed to the public.

Uh, sure, that's iteration #1. It's not at all farfetched that in 2 years *all* NPC side content could be AI generated like this, with no tweaks needed.
The point is to replace second tier writing altogether, not to have AI create a first draft for you.
I'm following developments of ChatGPT in Academia and they're worried. This thing is already a game-changer and it was just revealed to the public.
Everybody is just way too optimistic about AI. It's one of the most interesting tools to come out since the internet, I know. But did you guys follow the hype around... like any invention in the last 20 years? Self-driving cars? Gig economy apps? Not to mention shady stuff like Bitcoin and blockchain. Most stuff is way overhyped, so I'm pretty doubtful about AI at the moment.

Sure, AI has been overhyped and flopped many times. *This* AI is already providing results. When an undergrad student in any discipline can generate coherent, A+ answers to questions, that AI is already functioning as it's supposed to, and it's causing MASSIVE waves in Academia.
An English essay is a big lift for this kind of algorithm, but answers to STEM questions and medical questions it can already produce *entire*, without any editing needed, and with enough variation between answers that multiple students can cheat with this one method.
A paragraph of throwaway NPC dialogue is well within reach, IMO.

The peasant is still peasantly slow when ChatGPT is used in real time, but I am sure some devs already use this tool to craft text to their games. A lot easier when you give a few choices as most games do. In the future we may even be able to talk through a microphone as characters in a game and the language model will answer. It's natural progression for RPGs and can improve games. There's always work to do for writers, don't you worry. Their job will be to control the language model direction and quality control the output.

PS. I don't think these tools can be called artificial intelligence just yet. They are just language models using statistical tools putting most probable words in a sequence. The appearance/immersion is impressive, but it's still pretty much pure statistics, no intelligence/conscience involved.

Last edited:
It only means one thing: scored home-assignments will be history. The old-school written exams with pen and paper without internet will be back (or over here they never really disappeared). What it comes to papers, most of them have been rubbish already long before these language models. I am sure respectable journals will manage to keep the standard, but it will for sure be more work for the editors and reviewers.

PS. I don't think these tools can be called artificial intelligence just yet. They are just language models using statistical tools putting most probable words in a sequence. The appearance/immersion is impressive, but it's still pretty much pure statistics, no intelligence/conscience involved.
I think that's right. You know the one about the infinite number of monkeys at typewriters producing the works of Shakespeare? This is more like a large number of slightly-trained monkeys compiling something passable. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Well major game releases have teams numbering in the hundreds nowadays.

So if advanced programs which are being called A.I tools can do the job of half the team, you can bet they will use them to cut costs, and keep the minimal amount of staff.

As pointed out its still not full A.I but a dumb version relying on data.

Back
Top Bottom