Mount & Blade II - Review @ TSA

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TSA reviewed the sandbox RPG Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord:

Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord Review

The original Mount & Blade holds a special place in my heart. Where The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was the hottest RPG at the time, there I was on a battered old school laptop, playing a janky old build of what would later become one of my all-time favourite PC titles. That was almost 15 years ago and as much as Mount & Blade 2 evolves the original formula, there's still a scrappiness to this ambitious blending of genres.

[...]

Summary
My return to Calradia wasn't entirely jubilant, though Mount & Blade 2 Bannerlord is a game I'll likely stick with, simply due to my love of the original. A wealth of new systems and activities help this sandbox strategy sim feel more alive than ever, though the busywork required to get anywhere can feel like a grind. Overall, existing fans will rejoice while newcomers may look on unimpressed, unsure what all the fuss is about.

Good

• Modding potential
  • Story mode is a helpful new addition
  • More systems and activities
  • Defined factions, each with their own flavour
Bad

• Finicky console controls
  • Uninspiring visuals
  • Combat hasn't developed much since the original
  • Initial grind isn't particularly exciting
Score: 7/10

More information.

Yep the whole game is basically the same as the last two previous games. Just with a lick of new paint. I still wonder why it took the developer 7 years to make such a game?

My mini review from another thread.

The developer never made a good game but created a very good foundation for modders to make good games. That right there sums up the whole franchise. Your welcome.:biggrin:

Wait a few more years till it's patched to death and the campaign mods are finished.

Last edited:
I played a bunch of Warband mods but the thing was that they were mostly just also new coats of paint over the same game. New armor sets on differently named guys who would run around and do the same shit. I did like the Game of Thrones mod (one of the two major ones) because it was more ambitious than that and had actual companions and missions and custom scenes. I never really found any other mod that did that.

I'm trying a new mod that is based on the Roman Empire, Eagle Rising. I agree with vanedor, the early game is the best part. Will see how this mod plays out. Enjoying it so far but I would still like to see higher unit tiers.

I still have to get back into this, but I've been playing Div OS2 in co-op and some other games here and there.
My next one before this is Kingdom Come Deliverance I think.

I used to love M&B 1 but never got into Bannerlord.

Back
Top Bottom