D:OS Need Motivation

Divinity: Original Sin
Back on a positive note taking out Death Knight patrols is great fun. Love the swamp battles too. I still think the game cheats with enemy AP’s but it is what it is

OK level 20 just got into the inner sanctum. Why am I just getting Rogue master skills? coup de grace only available from the Homestead Air Gate as far as I can tell. I think its a design flaw if you are getting good stuff right before the end - that would have been a fun skill several hours ago. This game is brilliant. I have some complaints but its probably the best CRPG I've ever played. Maybe the most frustrating one as well however. Puzzle heavy, easy to get stuck due to offbeat design. Some pretty imbalanced fights which can get exhausting but still pretty amazing. LONG.
Anyway I appear to be talking to myself :)

You've powered through it fairly quickly considering the length. I wish I had found the game as compelling as you seem to, but I'm not a fan of the writing or overly humorous style in the D:OS games. For me, D:OS is't even the best Larian game.

I agree about the master skills and that having some of them only available in Homestead was lame. (Although I believe there is some randomness involved there as well). Tbh, I didn't care for Homestead in general. I didn't like having to constantly go back there to see things unfold.

I think the biggest insult was the Source King Key. Found in Cassandra's tomb. I'm level 20 and I finally get the key and the chest has level 7 crap in it because that chest is discovered at level 7. What are they thinking? Anyway fighting the death knights at the end and I screwed up the battle had to quit. Will take another crack at it tomorrow. Then the Dragon and its over. Steam says 191.5 hours. I have (2) puzzles incomplete and had to move on. Source temple and the elemental rooms in the starting area. But now I'm on end game rails not sure I can go back.

I think the biggest insult was the Source King Key. Found in Cassandra's tomb. I'm level 20 and I finally get the key and the chest has level 7 crap in it because that chest is discovered at level 7. What are they thinking?

Fwiw, you could have opened that chest much earlier with a Magical Unlock scroll. There's only a handful of those scrolls in the game though, so I'm not sure it would have been worth using one there.

I opted not to use the scroll knowing there was a key “somewhere”. So yeah I banked it. But why bother with a key to a noob chest at end game? Crazy Larian!

OK honestly this is the WORST ending battle of all time. I'm comfortably beating the stupid void dragon and Astarte does down and I lose? She does nothing but stand there and take damage. Go hide in a corner if you are that worthless. What the hell kind of mechanic is this. 25 minutes of my life wasted in one battle for nothing. RANT.

Done. 194 hours. This is I think the best CRPG ever made - but a caveat there because I haven't played Pathfinder yet. There is room for improvement with DoS as it can be extremely frustrating, obtuse and sometimes imbalanced but its a masterpiece in my book. There is a solution to every battle which reveals itself even when you fail.
I like that. Its not just blistering hard like some of the end game PoE battles or BG2. Its a thinking person's tactical game. I don't mind the humor as some do and after 200 hours I'm surprisingly not sick of the game - I want more. Luckily there is a sequel so there is that. I'm going to play the PoE expansion and maybe PoE2 first but I'm extremely impressed. A good sign for BG3 I think!

Wow this game totally ruined PoE White March for me. Where are my smoke grenades and ice walls for those distant cannoneers? RTwP seems so “actiony” now and boring. Story is decent but the world feels so static.

Back
Top Bottom