New Gaming PC (the slippery slope)

Modern GPUs are designed to go well beyond that for extended periods of time, though.

I'd say 85C or something shouldn't be a problem.

100C for extended periods is definitely not good, but they're designed to be able to operate even under that load.

As for pre-built, that's what I always recommend to non-enthusiasts.

But I've been building PCs since I was 18 - so I see no upside in giving more money for less. Sure it's a hassle for a few hours - but then it's over.

That said, I can very easily understand skipping such a thing if you're not too concerned with optimal hardware or pricing.

Modern GPUs are designed to go well beyond that for extended periods of time, though.

I'd say 85C or something shouldn't be a problem.

100C for extended periods is definitely not good, but they're designed to be able to operate even under that load.
My card generally runs cooler than other 3080 Tis from what I read (that's also one of the reasons I went for it), so I generally expect it a little cooler.

But generally speaking, why keep it under that load when 80-90fps is more than enough. I'd understand it if I were getting anything more out of the extra stress, but the way I see it I don't.

Anyway, this is of course very personal. I'm happy I settled into a groove now with it.

I'm a believer in pre-built PC too. But they must be built from standard components, my last PC is a brand (Lenovo) because I had no other choice due to the shortage, and it's rather bad. The main components are rebranded, I have no idea where they're coming from, and they lack the monitoring / settings we usually get. I think there are some good brands, like HP, but there's always the risk of getting a closed system.

I had a few short series pre-built PC from competent computer parts vendors in the past and it was very good because they knew the best worry-free components from experience.
Heh we use Lenovo at work. They are rather hit or miss. We are all on laptops at this point. I do mos of the ordering for our office (15 people or so). Not that it means much with rather limited selections since it has to be ones setup for work.

For my personal ones I usually go through Digital Storm and deal with them directly to customize the items I want. I usually chat with geek friends, do research online, as some computer peers at work, to get an idea of what parts are good, and that helps guide me along with the support at DS. Overall have had good luck. More costly but worth it to be more hassle free and have a machine that lasts a while.

I always shrug at the FPS discussions. Anything over 60 is rather pointless to me but guess it's some kind of geek ego thing to brag about your high FPS.

Heh we use Lenovo at work. They are rather hit or miss. We are all on laptops at this point. I do mos of the ordering for our office (15 people or so). Not that it means much with rather limited selections since it has to be ones setup for work.
I had a few Lenovo laptops, they were very good, with excellent keyboards. But no support.
Currently I prefer Dell for my home laptop, but that's on and off. That's what we use at work too when it's not a workstation (it's very demanding software).

Yeah, it requires a little research to select the good components. It used to be so critical 20 years ago because of incompatibilities, now it's mostly fine but we keep them longer so we may as well choose the best for the long run.

I don't care much for high FPS either. I don't think my eyes are good enough to see an advantage beyond 60 and I'm not using a VR set. Nor do they appreciate higher resolutions than 1080p. But I do hate noisy fans, which comforts me with my relatively conservative setup. ;)

Back
Top Bottom