New MB?

pibbuR

Feeling ... lonely?
I'm considering buying a new MB for my Ryzen 5950X CPU. Currently I have a ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING MB (BIOS updated to support the new CPU). I am considering getting a X570 MB, the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII DARK HERO. (Why that one? It's a top of the line Asus MB (I like Asus MB's) which my pusher currently has on sale).

2 questions:
  • Is there a significant improvement in performance/OC capability between X470 and a top of the line X570 MB?
  • Some claim that the Dark Hero MB is very picky when it comes to memory. Anyone know something about that?
  • For those of you with Ryzen 5950's (or similar) what MB are you using?

pibbuR who admits that once again he came up with more questions than promised.

From what I can tell, probably the biggest difference is that the x570 has PCI-e 4.0 support. Right now the main reason you'd want that is if you want to get the fastest Nvme SSD's like Samsung 980 Pro (~7000 MBps read speed). Of course a Nvme SSD that requires PCI-e 3.0 is still plenty fast, e.g., Samsung 970 EVO Plus (~3500 MBps read). There are some graphics cards that can (technically) utilize PCI-e 4.0 now, but putting them in a 4.0 slot won't actually make a noticeable difference vs. a PCI-e 3.0 slot.

What kind of drive do you have now and how long are your load times for games?

There's more bells & whistles with the x570 but I don't know how much you'd use most of them. How many USB ports do you really need? SATA connectors? You can go to a higher RAM speed (3200MHz vs 2666MHz) but will you actually notice a difference? No. And on the downside it will consume more power than the x470.

The board you're considering is supposed to be good for OCing while keeping it stable. But your current board is still said to be quite good for that, too. I've long been under the impression that OCing CPU was of questionable value anyway… For most games, what GPU you have will make a far bigger difference than CPU speeds anyhow.

If money is not a concern for you then you could get the new MB, but I question whether it will actually make a noticeable difference. If your current MB is working well then really what's the point? More "theoretical bandwidth". Unless of course you want to send me the old one, then by all means get a new one ;)

I'm strongly considering getting a Ryzen 5600x with my next PC, but will probably get a cheaper Asus MB. I've never been into OCing though and prefer to keep heat and power consumption as low as possible, to get maximum life out of my components.

P.S. I find the term "pusher" curious in this context. In the US at least a pusher typically refers to one who sells illicit drug dealers. Perhaps that is some European slang I'm not familiar with… or do you buy PC parts from a shady guy in a trench coat? :)

Last edited:
Thanks for a very thorough reply to my post. I will probably follow the advice.

pibbuR who admits that "pusher" (the concept of drug dealing, transformed to computer things vendors tempting him to spend money) is not some European slang, just his (desparate) attempts at being funny.

Thanks for a very thorough reply to my post. I will probably follow the advice.

pibbuR who admits that "pusher" (the concept of drug dealing, transformed to computer things vendors tempting him to spend money) is not some European slang, just his (desparate) attempts at being funny.

Oh, it's pretty funny as it conjured up an image of someone in a dark alley with a duffel bag full of hardware.

Yeah I would say you're far better off spending your money on a better GPU (I know terrible time to buy them right now but still) or maybe a new monitor... Unless what you already have is top tier.

Back
Top Bottom