New version of DRM Denuvo for DLC

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
As if that Anti-Tamper wasn't enough for Single-player games it seems Denuvo is now rolling out another version to protect DLC and microtransactions. Read on for more info.

Link - https://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-version-of-drm-software-denuvo-is-coming-to-squat-on-your-games/
So this seems to be a Denuvo for an age where the most profitable games in the world are not your traditional big box singleplayer adventure, but the cosmetic-fests that follow in Fortnite's wake. Denuvo Secure DLC aims to protect "cosmetic items, new characters, weapons, and power-ups [alongside] big content updates for a game that are only included in certain versions of the game (like a collectors’ edition) or must be purchased separately."

The new software is already out in the wild, apparently. "Denuvo has become a one-stop shop for game developers to ensure the safety of their game against cheating, tampering, and piracy and to protect the gaming experience," says Reinhard Blaukovitsch, managing director. "Our current clients, big and small, are ecstatic with the results and we are happy to help them maximize revenue and also enable new business models for these games they spent so much effort building.”

The software focuses on microtransactions but can also be applied to games with more traditional DLC models. Denuvo reckons this is the first anti-piracy software that specifically protects DLC and, given that's such a popular business model these days, no doubt you'll start to see it soon in a F2P game near you. Whether it will also make those games run like a dog remains to be seen but, on past form, you wouldn't bet against it.

i dont buy dlcs 99% of the time but fuck them anyway

As long as there's a way to know which games are infected, it's fine.

I wonder how much time they'll survive, I've heard a few games pulling that crap out after problems and discontented players, along with multiple failures to resist cracks very long in the last few years (not even mentioning the Alder Lake blunder). They're not even able to maintain a website, it seems.

Then there are enough studies showing the negative effects of DRM, so there's hope publishers finally get more sensible about this.

I am certain that I am in the minority here (0.00001%) otherwise these companies would not make any money, but I don't buy games with Denuvo nor DLCs. I wait until the ultimate/legendary version is released with all DLCs at cheap price and when their Denuvo is removed (normally the case after months or years of release, when "suddenly" the company sees the light - i.e. made enough money) and then buy (or made free on Epic).

In my 40 years of gaming I have never had a problem with any form of DRM and it doesn't really factor into my buying decisions apart from perhaps it would lower the overall review scores of games I consider. I guess I have been lucky. I do a fresh reinstall of my OS every 1-2 years so maybe that helps clear out anything they leave behind when you uninstall?

Is Danube err Denuvo on console games, too ?

Is Danube err Denuvo on console games, too ?
No just PC as console pirating wasn't as easy as the PC. Don't get me wrong there is still piracy on consoles though they just use the tired old excuse for PC gaming.

The theory of pirating is it equals lost sales but the pirate was never going to buy your game anyway. It all comes down to greed and wanting more of the pie for profit.

The price to use this software isn't cheap either and some will eventually remove it.

Back
Top Bottom