Non-RPG General News - The C64 Maxi Review

Looks pretty solid. Nevertheless I'd still prefer an fpga at some point (hardware emulation).

Yeah I like the look of it as well. Shame you can't use the old peripherals, but there's lots of ease of use stuff. Might pick one up in the new year.

Why must everything be a video these days ?

Because the Internet was supposed to make people smarter and more literate. In reality, it's having the opposite effect, by and large.

Seeing these kids nowadays with their faces literally plastered to their mobiles has me super concerned for the future. Fortunately at least my nephews and nieces still like to play outside and such.

I don't see any issues with that. Neither with being in a video format nor kids spending a significant time infront of a PC. Of course the latter should not go so far that it becomes literally unhealthy.

Personally I already watched the review by the 8-Bit-Guy before I saw this news post here as I am following him on youtube and just watch absolutely everything he posts. Even the stuff in his 8-Bit-Keys channel, though I couldn't care less about music keyboards. I just like listening to the guy, and getting some info and/or looking at some music and tinkering skills.
And I absolutely do not like to read reviews. Why? Because reading is an active task, I need to allocate time to. Videos (and podcasts) are not. When I am on my way to work I am listening to podcasts. When I am having lunch I am watching a video. And when I am searching through ebay, which is about 30 minutes per day maybe, I also watch videos on youtube.

Personally I am rather disapprove of people using mobile phones. It feels somewhat like a disease. I can see their use though, and I had to get one a couple of months ago as well, just because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to access my bank account anymore which requires double authentication. But I actually leave it at home most of the time and can survive without. But for me it's annoying when I am running past people on the road who are screaming to themselves. Still, I can see it's use, especially if you are on the road a lot. It's not entirely related. But I just wanted to set it into perspective. I mean how many of you are using a mobile phone like these "cool kids" which only watch videos these days instead of "going outside"?

Furthermore this is the first news about the C64 Maxi on this site, isn't it? The 8 Bit guy is not exactly the first doing a review. Still he reaches with his video format more people than others do with writing about it. Would HiddenX have linked any news about the C64 Maxi if it wasn't a topic from the 8 Bit guy? Maybe. But possibly not.

I don't see any issues with that. Neither with being in a video format nor kids spending a significant time infront of a PC. Of course the latter should not go so far that it becomes literally unhealthy.

Personally I already watched the review by the 8-Bit-Guy before I saw this news post here as I am following him on youtube and just watch absolutely everything he posts. Even the stuff in his 8-Bit-Keys channel, though I couldn't care less about music keyboards. I just like listening to the guy, and getting some info and/or looking at some music and tinkering skills.
And I absolutely do not like to read reviews. Why? Because reading is an active task, I need to allocate time to. Videos (and podcasts) are not. When I am on my way to work I am listening to podcasts. When I am having lunch I am watching a video. And when I am searching through ebay, which is about 30 minutes per day maybe, I also watch videos on youtube.

Personally I am rather disapprove of people using mobile phones. It feels somewhat like a disease. I can see their use though, and I had to get one a couple of months ago as well, just because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to access my bank account anymore which requires double authentication. But I actually leave it at home most of the time and can survive without. But for me it's annoying when I am running past people on the road who are screaming to themselves. Still, I can see it's use, especially if you are on the road a lot. It's not entirely related. But I just wanted to set it into perspective. I mean how many of you are using a mobile phone like these "cool kids" which only watch videos these days instead of "going outside"?

Furthermore this is the first news about the C64 Maxi on this site, isn't it? The 8 Bit guy is not exactly the first doing a review. Still he reaches with his video format more people than others do with writing about it. Would HiddenX have linked any news about the C64 Maxi if it wasn't a topic from the 8 Bit guy? Maybe. But possibly not.

Your post is a bit confusing to me.

You say you have no issue with people spending a significant amount of time in front of a pc but disapprove of mobile phone use. What’s the difference between significant amount of time in front of a pc and significant amount of time in front of a phone?

Also you say you listen to podcasts on the way to work and watch videos at lunch but just got a phone a couple months ago and leave it at home most of the time. What are you listening and watching on if you don’t have a phone? If it’s a tablet or laptop, what’s the difference between that and the phones you disapprove of?

Lastly, while reading is active I’d argue watching a video is too unless you’re just not paying attention. Personally I’d rather read because 30 min of video content can often be read in about 10 min or even much less if you just skim the article for the content you want to read.

Also I don’t like headphones so if its a video and I’m in public i have to watch it with the volume down. Unless I want to be one of those very annoying people that turn their volume all the way up in a restaurant not caring that others don’t want to listen to it.

Your post is a bit confusing to me.

You say you have no issue with people spending a significant amount of time in front of a pc but disapprove of mobile phone use. What’s the difference between significant amount of time in front of a pc and significant amount of time in front of a phone?
The difference is that you spend time on your PC in a chunk usually. You are not half distracted by the PC for the rest of the day. But it wasn't my intention to steer the conversation towards mobile phones.

Also you say you listen to podcasts on the way to work and watch videos at lunch but just got a phone a couple months ago and leave it at home most of the time. What are you listening and watching on if you don’t have a phone? If it’s a tablet or laptop, what’s the difference between that and the phones you disapprove of?
I am using a mp3 player. It's not connected to the internet, can neither receive mails, sms, facebook or whats-app messages.

Lastly, while reading is active I’d argue watching a video is too unless you’re just not paying attention. Personally I’d rather read because 30 min of video content can often be read in about 10 min or even much less if you just skim the article for the content you want to read.
Yes and no. I'd never watch a TV show "on the side". Imho it's either good enough to be watched with dedication, or it's not worth to be watched at all.
But there are a lot of videos (like the one linked here for example) where it's no necessary to keep an eye on the video all the time. The sound is the most important thing. Also it doesn't require full attention to comprehend or immerse yourself.
Browsing through countless thumbnails which does not require much brain activity does not hinder you from following such a video. When I am taking a closer look at something on ebay, I actually pause the video. I even pause the podcast, when I see that a loud bus is passing by. But I guess I am the exception with that.

Also I don’t like headphones so if its a video and I’m in public i have to watch it with the volume down. Unless I want to be one of those very annoying people that turn their volume all the way up in a restaurant not caring that others don’t want to listen to it.

I am using in-ear headphones when I am outside. So no issues there.
And yes, I find this very annoying as well.

The difference is that you spend time on your PC in a chunk usually. You are not half distracted by the PC for the rest of the day. But it wasn't my intention to steer the conversation towards mobile phones.

I am using a mp3 player. It's not connected to the internet, can neither receive mails, sms, facebook or whats-app messages.

Yes and no. I'd never watch a TV show "on the side". Imho it's either good enough to be watched with dedication, or it's not worth to be watched at all.
But there are a lot of videos (like the one linked here for example) where it's no necessary to keep an eye on the video all the time. The sound is the most important thing. Also it doesn't require full attention to comprehend or immerse yourself.
Browsing through countless thumbnails which does not require much brain activity does not hinder you from following such a video. When I am taking a closer look at something on ebay, I actually pause the video. I even pause the podcast, when I see that a loud bus is passing by. But I guess I am the exception with that.

I am using in-ear headphones when I am outside. So no issues there.
And yes, I find this very annoying as well.

Thanks for the explanation. Can’t say I agree with everything but I do understand your viewpoint now. :)

None of the glorified graphics programmers could figure out a 16-bit remixing algorithm that takes 4-bit, 16 color C64 graphics sprites and up-mixes them to 16-bit High color = 65,536 colors with anti-aliasing???
For sprites I want edge-anti-aliasing modes. For backgrounds: unique remixing features with lots of shaders! That would still leave the amazing retro-look and open new vistas on the possibilities!!

Imagine using this super-algorithm in a C-64 emulator..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom