Note of the outskirts

CryptRat

Watcher
Hello, friends.

I released this recently, the main inspirations are Wasteland and Dragon Wars, it's free so don't hesitate to check it out : https://cryptrat.itch.io/note-of-the-outskirts.

Any feedback is welcome and I'll gladly answer questions.

Thanks for your Gates of Skeldal thread by the way.

Have a nice day.

Hello again,

I felt like I could make some bigger description.
I've been fixing some bugs, got some feedback.

The game takes place in a mostly deserted dungeon below a futuristic town, addtionally to the town map. There's not much of a plot, you're simply looking for the location of a treasure. You'll fight bandits with guns, robots and animals on steroids.

The game puts a big emphasis on dungeon exploration.
Exploration is quite non-linear.
There are multiple paths, many secret places, many of those accessible by multiple ways, some navigation puzzles,and most of all plenty of items have an utility to deal with navigation traps and puzzles (jump, burn trees).
I think this is the main reason why you would want to play or you would not want to play the game. This is the reason why I always mention Dragon Wars and Wasteland when talking about inspiration for this game. I think these are some of the best games where it comes to party adventuring with the use of tools and character's skills (among Realms of Arkania trilogy, Darklands and a few others).
I think that freezing some part of a lake is more fun than simply casting TrapZap.
However all these games I mentioned also have a perfect narrative while this game absolutely does not, writing is not a strong point of mine, to say the least, and it's even worse with the need to write in English (the game probably has plenty of typoes, sorry for those, by the way), so I kept it to a very minimum, maybe whenever I make another game I'll force myself into making something more elaborate.
Therefore I can't say the sense of adventure is half as good as in a Realms of Arkania game but I hope looking for the various secrets is fun enough anyway.
I feel like you can still occasionally find one more secret as you pass through the same path for the fifth time. You can buy an item which enables a rudimentary automap (many things such as traps are not added to the map).
The level design is kind of devilish from the very start and the beginning can be overwhelming, and ultimately I think that if you have absolutely no interest in this part you should probably pass your way, and vice versa, if you have a particular interest into fun dungeon design then you could maybe give the game a try.

The game uses a system with low numbers and slow progression.
A point system is available as an option but I would rather recommend to get a look at the default party, possibly give the game a try with the default party to get some knowledge about consumables and such, and then roll characters which are at least as strong as the ones from the default party.
Skills depend strongly on the main attributes, it is not perfect either but recently when I played Wasteland 2 whose system is not that different I felt that skills not depending on main attributes is a bit boring, typically compared with Fallout.
Plenty of skills are not directly related to combat, as in the glorious Wasteland/Fallout tradition, although' due to the very systemic interaction (Dragon Wars in particular has plenty of events you interact with via spells and skills, this game has none), there are quite less interactions between the characters' skills and direct dungeon items directly linked with the narrative that I wish there were. You only get to interact with mundane holes, traps, teleporters, water, ice and lava.

When levelling up a character also chooses a perk, and these perks are all 100% combat-related because I never thought of a satisfying set of non-combat related perks.

Note that if you don't load the default party you're given a lot of money at the beginning (as much as the default party spent, basically) and many tools are available to buy from the start, so you should be able to carefully create the party you want to.

Combat is like in The Bard's Tale/Wasteland/Dragon Wars with especially each group of enemies being at a given distance. For a fantasy game I'm not even sure but in a game where characters all use various guns I think distances are cool, maybe I'm mistaken.
Most weapons have several attacks, sometimes it does not have much impact but for example emptying the full barrel of a machine gun towards a strong enemy can help.
There are resistances, nothing unusual, typically robots are weak against electromagnetic pulses, can be hacked and are relatively weak against lightning and quite resistant to basically everything else.
Ultimately even if it is slightly more complex I tend to think that unfortunately the combat is not as satisfying as in Wasteland for example, but anyway, I think that if you never had any problem with this kind of combat you should not hate it so much that it would prevent you from enjoying the game here either.

There are some crafted encounters while random encounters are highly randomized, but you won't get punished much for ignoring those, xp gain is quite low compared to when you find a treasure, if anything you may want to kill some specific human enemies to get their equipment. You get all the equipment from defeated enemies, by the way, since not all dungeon crawlers work this way.

Each type of item tries to be unique (there's no template nor randomization). I don't think the roster in anything to talk about. Pieces of jewerly (typically gained from defeating a boss) give more interesting passives than a simple bonus to stats, and I think what's good about items is once again the use they may have outside combat.

Note that just like in Wasteland and Fallout a good armor can make a huge difference in combat, if you feel like you get killed a lot in the beginning it may mean your characters don't wear at least a breast plate or a bulletproof vest.

There are plenty of status changes and there are many special results for various critical successes and critical failures.

I underestimated the time people would spend on the game at first, especially before my friends started to play the game (although' I guess if you count people who'll stop playing 5 minutes into the game 10 hours is still above the average playtime), for some reason I thought people would reach the end very fast (there are multiple paths to the end) and stop playing, in practice people who visited most of the dungeons spent more than 40 hours on the game.

The game is free yet I hope this text gives a good idea of the game and you can know if you could enjoy it or would waste your time trying it by reading it.

Thanks for your time, I'll still gladly get feedback and answer questions, obviously.

I recorded some gameplay in case anyone's looking for a glimpse of the beginning of the game, party creation and shopping end at 12:30 :

Thanks!

I'm still working on the game (in a recent update was added the possibility to annotate the automap, and someday I should release an update with some minor graphical updates, which can be seen in the video, and more bugs will surely be found and will have to be fixed) but the game should not get many updates from now.

Either way I'll continue to work on more of the same, was it a sequel to this one where you can import your characters or a fantasy game (likely both).

I'm bumping the thread because I've replaced all the art in the game. There are a few pictures in the game page if you're looking for a glimpse of it and I'll probably update the video as well today (and the game is still free too anyway).

Thanks!

There might not be any more big update from now and I should start working on a "new" (more of the same) game, yet I said the same thing last year and this happened instead so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom