NVIDIA GTC Keynote, RTX 40, AI and Metaverse

Anybody checkout this video about up-scaling games with these cards.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Auto-Enhanced with Nvidia RTX Remix AI

During their presentation for the Nvidia 4090, Omniverse was presented and we got a glimpse into Morrowind being auto-enhanced with Nvidia RTX Remix AI. Here are the results.
I'm guessing this wont be available for AMD cards once again.

On the other hand, the RTX 40 consumes noticeably less power since they moved to a better technology node: from TDP 450 W (!) to 285 W for the two cards mentioned above. If I had to choose between the two, this alone would make me think twice.
Yeah, but that's only if you're comparing the 4080s to the 3090s. If you look at the same class for each generation, it's nearly identical TDPs.

Leave it alone it did it's job by removing and then changing said texture/mesh. :biggrin:

It's the same with AI art peices they always impress me what it comes up with.

Some of those AI "enhancements" are questionable. They're higher fidelity for sure, but in some instances it's changing the style into something different and not necessarily better.

On the other hand, the RTX 40 consumes noticeably less power since they moved to a better technology node: from TDP 450 W (!) to 285 W for the two cards mentioned above. If I had to choose between the two, this alone would make me think twice.
Power efficiency may actually be my #1 reason to upgrade, if there's a lot of improvement there. I use a 3080 Ti now, for a 144Hz 4K monitor, and if my video card could run quieter (cooler) while still getting the same performance, that's worth money.

I was browsing more articles about the 40xx cards and I came across this one that talks about DLSS 3 being exclusive to this generation.

It contradicts what was mentioned about that feature possibly being backwards compatible with the previous RTX generations. I'm not sure what to believe at this point.

I was browsing more articles about the 40xx cards and I came across this one that talks about DLSS 3 being exclusive to this generation.

It contradicts what was mentioned about that feature possibly being backwards compatible with the previous RTX generations. I'm not sure what to believe at this point.
I read something similar, there's one DLSS3 component, the Optical Flow Accelerator (or multiframe generation) that is unique to the 40 series. So if they want to port that back, they'd have to use other resources of the GPU with some trade-off, if that's possible at all. IIRC they did something similar for another feature in the past but I don't think it was conclusive.

I read it as "yes, it is backward compatible" and "no, it will be exclusive to 40x0 (because we won't enable it on older cards)." They want new money, not the old one they already have. ;)

It's basically a power guzzler. Doesn't help it's the size of a mini-motherbord either. Who the hell designed this monstrosity, and approved it's production? I'll stick with AMD.

Last edited:
It should, I saw an estimated TDP of 850 W 3 weeks ago. It must be speculative because there's no official datasheet yet but it's insane. And it's just the graphics card... you need air conditioning to play games with such a monster!

Here's a benchmark comparison. My take-away:
  • not worth in 1080p (which is my case)
  • except maybe for power consumption / T° vs current gen, so for people who change often
  • to avoid for MSFS2020 unless maybe in 4K, but maybe the results are the worst because the drivers are not fully optimized yet?
  • too big

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1YAT9AK_HY

Back
Top Bottom