NVIDIA GTC Keynote, RTX 40, AI and Metaverse

I've been checking on RTX 30xx and 40xx cards daily, and I don't get why many of them are still not MSRP. Nvidia's stock has been struggling, and they missed on their projected earnings, with one of the reasons given being that they have too much inventory that's not moving.

How can they have surplus inventory and simultaneously have many of their cards being priced above MSRP and/or out of stock?
Quite simply tenacious greed. Combined with a wish to avoid losing face. When you've been strutting your stuff for years, ripping off customers big-time, and suddenly the bottom falls out of your market, then it must be quite humbling to realise that your scummy business practices have been rumbled by by afore-mentioned customers... My take on the matter? ...Go f#$k yourself Nvidia/Jensen Huang et al. Don't get me wrong - because whatever many people may hope - AMD is NOT your friend. Were the situation reversed, they would have been (and let's face it, WERE) doing the same thing.

I'm leaning towards getting a 40xx series card now even though I previously said I wouldn't. I can't find a 3080 Ti that I like for less than 1K, and it doesn't make sense to pay that much for one when a 4080 is only $200 more.

I hate having to use up 3 slots for a video card though. My system is already a bit cramped, and I don't plan on buying a new case anytime soon.
3080 Ti's (and 3080's for that matter) are almost all 3 slot, as well, I think. Or at least, they take more than 2 slots. My 3080 Ti is 2.75. Some are 2.2.

Yeah but that card isn't for gamer's but a sub-section of developers, and industries. Nvidia used to sell cards to those markets as well. It's the same for the CPU Market.

Intel used to sell double CPU Xeon chips to pair with those cards.

Well you can as I've seen some crazy rich people, and tech experts use them.
While professional GPUs are created for workstations, gaming on them is possible, though the gaming performance will be significantly lower than a comparably priced consumer card. Since they are tuned for stability and feature blower-style coolers, using professional cards at higher clock speeds will be difficult.
Still yeah the drivers and the cards aren't built for gaming. Still it amazes me how those few get them to work. I recall a few friends who used the double Xeon as chips well.

Last edited:
First benchmark with amd 7900 out there; are several of them here is one:

Summary 4080 seems to perform better per watt; and if they drop the price of the 4080 it might be the better solution.

From what I've seen so far, the 7900 XTX matches up well in most games until you turn on Ray tracing. Nvidia's cards still have an advantage with RT enabled, though the gap isn't as large as it was before.

Last edited:
Newegg being Newegg. What a shitshow that once-great retailer has become.
Yeah, but who's their competition? I'm probably purchasing a new vid card and monitor from them in the near future because no one else can match their selection.

I thought I had the monitor I want, but it apparently got lost in shipping and the store (B&H Photo) gave me a refund. They're the only retailer other than Newegg that carries it.

You named it ;) B&H

Top place to buy stuff from. And you can always call them up and get an actual knowledgeable person. Such insanity. Ever since the GPU-Crypto debacle, I've made it a point to toss more money their way; one of the few places that tried to work with customers rather than take advantage of them.

Well my first and only experience with them so far wasn't great. Although I suppose it's not their fault that FedEx lost my monitor.

They don't have much in stock though. For example, every single brand of RTX 4080 they carry is currently out of stock. I'm guessing they're probably a smaller company compared to Newegg.

Haven't bought from B&H in years/decades, but I switched from NewEgg to Amazon because of NewEgg's god-awful return policies and extremely slow shipping compared to Amazon. Rarely ever run across anything that NewEgg carries that Amazon doesn't. Also, Amazon doesn't do scalper prices on video cards like NewEgg started doing (not talking about 3rd party sellers obviously). The last reason to buy from NewEgg was that they didn't charge Texas sales tax, but that's been gone for a while now.

Well my first and only experience with them so far wasn't great. Although I suppose it's not their fault that FedEx lost my monitor.

They don't have much in stock though. For example, every single brand of RTX 4080 they carry is currently out of stock. I'm guessing they're probably a smaller company compared to Newegg.
They are a very large old company but for years their focus was photography equipment; the expansion into electronics is relatively new (5? 8? years). I've used them since the 80's for photographic equipment (I had to mow lawns all summer for my first camera). It is only recent that they have become competitive in electronics. Newegg used to be great but these days I've found them less reliable (pretty much since they went public); but still there are not much better stores in pure computer components and the arena is smaller with fry recent closure. If you live somewhere with microcenter they can have decent in store deals (better than newegg); but their online prices are kind of sucky.

If you live somewhere with microcenter they can have decent in store deals (better than newegg); but their online prices are kind of sucky.
Yeah, I'm familiar with Microcenter. I used to visit their store when I lived in Michigan. I wish they had one down here.

I have to reiterate how ridiculously large the 40xx series cards are. If you're thinking of getting one, make sure to measure the interior of your case first and confirm it'll fit.

It turns out I wouldn't even be able to use one in my current mid-tower ATX case. I just ordered a new case to accommodate future cards.

For 10 minutes today I entertained the idea of a 4090 upgrade. But I think I quickly got out of it. I'm afraid the only reason for it would be the support for DLSS3.0, which mainly benefits games ran in RT, like CP2077.
Plus, a 4090 is expensive as hell. Even amazon.de has them at 1800-2200 euros, depending on the provider.

Back
Top Bottom