NVIDIA GTC Keynote, RTX 40, AI and Metaverse

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Ouch on those prices...

People were speculating that the 4080 would be around the same MSRP as the 3080 at release. Turns out it's $200 more, and that's just for the 12GB version which also has a smaller memory bus width.

People were speculating that the 4080 would be around the same MSRP as the 3080 at release. Turns out it's $200 more, and that's just for the 12GB version which also has a smaller memory bus width.
The $700 MSRP of the 3080 was a fantasy, with almost no cards ever being available at that price. You can't even get one that low today, with oversupply and an inventory dump in progress... If the 4080 is actually obtainable at the list price of $900, it'll cost less than the 3080 did in practice.

The $700 MSRP of the 3080 was a fantasy, with almost no cards ever being available at that price. You can't even get one that low today, with oversupply and an inventory dump in progress... If the 4080 is actually obtainable at the list price of $900, it'll cost less than the 3080 did in practice.
Right, but there was a very specific reason for that. We went through a shortage the likes of which we might never see again (hopefully). Things are more or less back to normal now.

You can get a 3080 for right around $700. I've even seen the 3080 Ti for as low as $780.

Right, but there was a very specific reason for that. We went through a shortage the likes of which we might never see again (hopefully). Things are more or less back to normal now.
Yeah, but things aren't exactly back to where they were 2 years ago when the 3080 was announced. Two key differences come to mind: (1) there's been about 15% inflation since then according to the CPI (this alone makes up over half the price increase), and (2) NVIDIA found out that people are willing to pay a lot more for their cards than they were asking for before :LOL:

Is the 4080 16gb supposed to be the TI version? At those prices, I'm going to have to pass - that's ridiculous.

Obviously, this is about fleecing the consumer for maximum gain. Inflation is more of an excuse than anything - as it is in most areas. Amazing what people will pay because "that's just how it is these days".

The global economy is going to shit - and everyone is still trying to maintain whatever they set for themselves as an acceptable income standard.

But what's even worse is the power usage - which will be a lot more expensive in the long run. Don't even get me started on current energy prices.

Oh well.

Yeah, but things aren't exactly back to where they were 2 years ago when the 3080 was announced. Two key differences come to mind: (1) there's been about 15% inflation since then according to the CPI (this alone makes up over half the price increase), and (2) NVIDIA found out that people are willing to pay a lot more for their cards than they were asking for before :LOL:
Any way you look at it, $200 is a big jump for one generation especially when you consider that the 12GB version might have originally been intended to be a 4070 series card.

The way I see it, the 16GB version is the true 4080, and that's $1200.

But what's even worse is the power usage - which will be a lot more expensive in the long run. Don't even get me started on current energy prices.
Actually, that's been revised. Not sure about the 4090, but the TBP for the 4080 is only 340W which is around the same as the 3080. It turns out the speculation about the power draw was way off.

Meanwhile NVIDIA cuts down on board distrubution to the AIBs in order to continue scalping Mr. Joe Public.

To be honest, I'm seriously considering waiting a bit (lot?) longer, in order to see if Intel come up with anything viable and cheaper. Which for me would be something on performance par with, say, an RTX306Ti.

To be honest, I'm seriously considering waiting a bit (lot?) longer, in order to see if Intel come up with anything viable and cheaper. Which for me would be something on performance par with, say, an RTX306Ti.
Why not just get a 30xx series card? They're dropping in price fast, and they'll probably be significantly cheaper in November after the 4080 launches.

I was planning to get a 4080 before this announcement, but there's no way I'm paying that much. I'll grab a 3080 Ti in a few months for $500-$600.

It's prudent to wait until the new series gets mature enough too, I wouldn't like to buy an expensive early model only to realize it has a bug.

I wonder if their model makes sense. There's something good in it, I like the general idea of making "dumber" chips (series 30 and 40) and a very limited number of devices calculating the right parameters to make them more efficient with upscaling. But the dumber chips are still a lot of transistors to achieve that so I'm not sure it computes...

And one could wonder if producing those beasts just to play better 3D (but dumber) games makes any sense when we're already too short of resources and energy. I'm tempted to boycott that series just for the principle.

Actually, that's been revised. Not sure about the 4090, but the TBP for the 4080 is only 340W which is around the same as the 3080. It turns out the speculation about the power draw was way off.
That's something at least....

But 1200 USD for the "real" 4080? That's absurd, really.

Why not just get a 30xx series card? They're dropping in price fast, and they'll probably be significantly cheaper in November after the 4080 launches.

I was planning to get a 4080 before this announcement, but there's no way I'm paying that much. I'll grab a 3080 Ti in a few months for $500-$600.
For me, it depends on the bullshit-level of the DLSS 3 thing.

I haven't paid attention, but if their marketing shtick is anywhere close to reality - it would be quite annoying not to have that option - especially for 4K+ resolutions.

That's something at least....

But 1200 USD for the "real" 4080? That's absurd, really.
How should I feel that I payed around 1200 euros for the 3080 ti + transport. :(
Fucking country I live in.

The issue with these cards is that there's very few games that have such high requirements. Unless you're running at crazy resolutions most of the time they're really overpowered for no apparent reason. Currently the only one that truly is able to put my card to its knees is RDR2.

So even if you try to take the "2x-4x faster than the strongest last-gen cards" at their face, which I wouldn't really (since it's likely not pure performance, but "tricky" using the DLSS tech), there's not much there to make use of these. I'm thinking we need the first generations of Unreal Engine 5 games to really see these cards put to the test. That's the probably the moment I will be even considering an upgrade.

The issue with these cards is that there's very few games that have such high requirements.
People are always inclined to buy more powerful cards to be safe the next 5 years. We know that graphics engine designers and game developers will anticipate the increase in performance to pour more demanding flashy features that current cards cannot handle with a decent framerate.

But I agree, even considering that, it's always possible to tune some of the settings down and get a perfectly fine experience. Only a few very demanding games or simulators require a high-end system to run properly and give a decent experience (and it's often by lack of optimization).

I wonder what games really need this kind of firepower. I guess if you play at 4k on ultra? Even then I would if you just turn down the settings ever so slightly most would be highly playable on mid/high end of the current GPU generation. My 6700XT hasn't been challenged yet at 1440p, but I guess I haven't played Cyberpunk ;)

The whole covid thing and everything staying at home was a big part of the massive demand (and crypto). Now that a lot of people do actually already have decent GPU's, no more crypto GPU mining and most countries back to normal - are the same number of people really going to pay these prices? Of course there will be some but I think it will be much lower this time around.

It depends on your monitor a lot more than the games, generally speaking... If you've got a 4K 240Hz monitor and want to get the most out of it, and also use high graphics quality settings, you need as much GPU as you can possibly get. If you're still using 1080p 60Hz, you don't really need much of anything at all.

Back
Top Bottom