Obsidian Entertainment - Game Design Research, ala Avellone

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Obsidian's Chris Avellone has written a humourous (as always) blog on the topic of research before starting a game design for Game Tycoon. Here's the opening:
Obsidian Entertainment recently got the chance to do a role-playing game set in the Aliens universe.
This is due with many thanks to our fine publisher, SEGA, who used their oodles of cash and resources to woo Fox. Wine and song may also have been involved. And lawyers. And contract negotiators. But let’s set that aside for a second.
When we got the Aliens license, it hit me that there is one resoundingly positive aspect of being in game development: Doing research for games is the best thing, ever.
The article is peppered with Chris' cartoons and is an entertaining read.
More information.

Game designers in "lucky buggers" non-shock :)

The overtures Japanese publishers are making into the PC market is interesting.

Sega buy and publish Creative Assembly; co-operate with Obsidian and acquire Aliens licence.
Namco-Bandai bankroll Hellgate: London.
I recall some bigwig at Konami recently saying he'd like to do a PC game, but probably wouldn't as the rest of Konami aren't interested.

I'm not sure if Japanese activity in the PC world is/was conspicuous by its absence, or it's a genuinely odd turn of events.

With PS-T, Avellone became my favourite game designer. I love his humour, especially with dialogue and NPC comments.

Fun stuff. :)

T.V., ekkks!
Lets hope, he at least means using a Tivo or somesuch to block out all the eville smackmercials!

Back
Top Bottom