Obsidian Entertainment - Game Reveal Soon

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@VideoGamesChronicle According to an Obsidian developer one of its games in development will be revealed soon.

Another Obsidian developer has suggested that the studio may be soon ready to show off one of the games it currently has in development.

Hannah Kennedy, a concept artist at Obsidian who previously worked on The Outer Worlds tweeted: "Man... it's gunna be extremely cool when I can finally share what I've been working on for the last 2 years."

This was followed by the eyes emoji, which is regularly used on Twitter to denote that the poster has a secret they'd like to share.

Following this, designer Josh Sawyer replied to Kennedy with the 'prayer' emoji.

[...]

The game reportedly features swimming gameplay and may include some destructible environments too.

The Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase will be held on Sunday, June 12.

The event will start at 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm BST and will be streamed in over 30 languages on the likes of YouTube, Twitch and Facebook.
More information.

Haven't we already seen Avowed? I thought they had TOW2, Avowed and Josh's secret project in development. Maybe it is Josh's game given his tweet?

Is Obsidian so large now that they can develop three AAA titles simultaneously?

I guess if you are talking AAA it would be Avowed, TOW2 and Grounded (the MMO). I would think Obsidian would currently be one of the larger game dev sutdios out there which is suprising considering how close they came to Bankruptcy not too long ago.

From what I have picked up over the last couple of years:
  • Josh's game has a core team of 12 people and will bring in more people only for specific tasks.
  • It has a codename "Pentiment" and it is set in the late medieval period i.e. lots of social unrest, famine etc.
  • The game is narrative focused like Disco Elysium.
  • The game is being built in Unity. This is based on Job offers Josh has posted on Twitter.

My hyposthesis is that in the game you play someone who is investigating something or who gets pulled into a complex plot - this is based on the meaning of the word Pentiment. Could be a secret society/church/royal family I would guess.

Note: This information is either from various sites or Josh's personal twitter so nothing is offical.

Last edited:
Is Obsidian so large now that they can develop three AAA titles simultaneously?
Is TOW really considered AAA?

I mean... what categories actually are used? I have feeling it's only AAA, Indie and Peter-on-his-mom's-notebook.

Barely. Afaik we saw a trailer of an arrow flying across the landscape with no gameplay or much of anything really.

Yeah, there was also a leaked screenshot.

I guess it depends on what kind of reveal they are going for. Is it a reveal of a new unknown game or just revealing some details about Avowed. Both could be true and I would lean towards it being Avowed. I was kind of hoping it would be the secret project though!

Is TOW really considered AAA?

I mean… what categories actually are used? I have feeling it's only AAA, Indie and Peter-on-his-mom's-notebook.

I would say they are more AA but I am not sure how many people they have on Avowed. TOW2 is likely to be similar to TOW1 and that had over 100 people on it. It used to be AAA was a 50 million dollar project but now I think it it is more like 100 million or more. AA would be between 10 and 99 million then ;) "A" would be 1 to 10 mil and Indie would normally be 1 mil or less.

Obsidian has yet to prove they can make games with AAA production values. I liked many of their former games but they weren exactly known for high production values and technical prowess. If it was just a matter of insufficient funds, MS money should solve that. If there are other reasons ... Im sure MS will solve it as well, just as it did in case of many studios in past.

I hope they show Avowed, we have very little about it except a cinematic trailer. Having a glimpse of the gameplay couldn't hurt.

I don't think this is a new game, they would have phrased it differently, and I doubt they could afford another game at the moment too.

I hope they show Avowed, we have very little about it except a cinematic trailer. Having a glimpse of the gameplay couldn't hurt.

I don't think this is a new game, they would have phrased it differently, and I doubt they could afford another game at the moment too.

I agree that it will most likely be Avowed.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/hannah-kennedy-78021111b/

2017- Current: Unannounced Project, Concept Artist.

That would be 5 years of development which means it is Avowed!!! The secret project has only been developed for the last 2 years!

They are already working on 4 games though. It's not a question as it has already been confirmed.

I agree that it will most likely be Avowed.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/hannah-kennedy-78021111b/

2017- Current: Unannounced Project, Concept Artist.

That would be 5 years of development which means it is Avowed!!! The secret project has only been developed for the last 2 years!

They are already working on 4 games though. It's not a question as it has already been confirmed.

Well done, I see you know where to look. :)

Unannounced project... but she doesn't seem to use her account very often, so that must explain it.

I definitely hope it is Avowed (been getting hyped for that more and more since the trailer) but hey, a new game announcement entirely wouldn't hurt, I can get excited for pretty much anything these guys make.

It's either going to be Avowed which had a few delays or Outer Worlds 2.

I don't think it is TOW2. The linkedin profile shows 2017 as when she started on this. TOW1 wasn't even shipped until the end of 2019. The dates are a bit before PoE2 shipped so a bunch of creatives would of been ready to start preproduction on Avowed - given it is set in Eora it makes sense it would share some of the writers.

Yeah I'm leaning more towards Avowed. As you said it's been in development for five years and was targeting a late 2022 or 2023 release according to leaks.

As of right now Obsidian released one CGI trailer a few years back that's all. Though development behind the scenes has not gone as smoothly as many might think.

Mostly disagreements, firings, and replacing key members. Thanks go-to the codex for data mining tweets and other responses from current and former employees.

I'm more curious about Josh's game Pentiment, and Adlers supposed PoE 3.

I'm not particularly a fan of Josh's dry design philosophy, nor do I think the developers are going to be given the time to redesign TOW's shallow itemization and combat... so here's hoping for Avowed!

Vegas, baby!!!:cool:

It certainly isn't impossible. There is nothing to say they couldn't have multiple concept or pre-production projects going.

Also, what are these four games being mentioned that they're working on? I know of Avowed, The Outer Worlds 2, and Josh Sawyer's yet to be announced project. What's #4?

Back
Top Bottom