Outward - Definitive Edition @ Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Movies Games and Tech has reviewed Outward Definitive Edition:

Review: Outward Definitive Edition

A crafting survival RPG that strays into simulation territory as it wants you to do everything yourself, Outward - an RPG of the fantasy variety - removes all modern conveniences from fast travel to levelling up, making you walk every inch of the map and defeat enemies just to get you meal to meal.

This is mostly in the name of exploration and discovery rather than quest-led gameplay as you pull out your own bed, grab a huge cooking pot and stare at the stars when it's become too dark to continue exploring. As the trailer states 'Forget what other games have taught you', Outward certainly does head in a different direction to what you might expect - a somewhat realistic one.

[...]

Outward is quite the divisive title and will likely continue to be a dichtomy amongst gamers. Some will love the lack of hand holding, the long walks and the creative combination of crafting and survival gameplay, while others will pick apart its average implementation and frustrating mechanics. It is often said that when trying to write a story, it is helpful to think of the ending first and write backwards. Outward seems to think that the gameplay needs to be much the same, putting the onus on the player to make it fun through a significant time investment and hoping something sticks, instead of first making the formula fun.

Score: 6/10
More information.

I tried it but its not for me, feels really clunky and has sim elements like hunger, thirst, fatigue and otehr shit like that, which totally puts me off; i think they can be put out with cheats or trainers though. Im surprised it has so much success, feels reaaaaally low budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the impression of people here?

This game has been on my wishlist for a long time but I've always had other games that seemed more interesting to me.
I've owned it since release but have never played very far. I wouldn't say it's necessarily low-budget, but it's not close to AAA. It's maybe on par with a Piranha Bytes game production-wise but with better combat.

Don't expect the exploration to be on that level though. From what I've played, the world felt kind of empty and not nearly as interesting to explore as something from PB or Bethesda for example.

Back
Top Bottom